New Homeland Security nominee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strannix

Acrobat
President bush has selected Michael Chertoff as his next Homeland Security nominee. He seems to be a fairly uncontroversial pick, although acting as chief counsel on the Republicans' Whitewater investigation is hardly a feather in his cap (as a reminder, no indictments were handed down in that case despite years of investigation and millions of dollars spent, and in later years became obsessed with the completely unrelated Monica Lewinsky story).

But I have to ask, as is the case of so many of Bush's nominees, exactly how is he qualified for the job? Where is experience working with intelligence agencies? Where is the executive experience necessary to lead a Cabinet post? Where is any experience relating to Homeland Security in general? I know no nominee is perfect, but is at least some experience in the field in question too much to ask?

I'd say that, based on his resume, Mr. Chertoff would be well-qualified to be Attorney General, but he seems a weird fit for DHS.

I think Bush is trying to live up to the example that the people who hired him gave him. He figures you know I wasn't really qualified, my resume didn't really scream president I should give some of these others the same shot I was given.

He's just filling his cabinet with those that have served him best for the last 4 yrs.
Gonzales - torture is ok
Rice - Yes honey, I mean Sir
Education (can't think of the name right off) - NCLB is brilliant
Chertoff - permanent secret detention desireable.

Yes! Your exactly right Verte.

That speaks for itself I guess.

edited to add
I may be frothing at the mouth by the end of these 4 years :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom