New Freedom Tower unveiled for NYC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Thoughts?

tower_slide_2.jpg

tower_slide_1.jpg

tower_slide_3.jpg

it looks nice, I guess. the twin towers looked better though.

calling it the freedom tower is kind of stupid...it should somehow commemorate the victims, but "freedom tower" is kind of...I dunno...

I was talking to my dad about this, he somewhat jokingly said we should put a muslim daycare on the top 2 floors. (not that that would stop some of those bastards)

ha ha. :|

I wonder if your dad actually knows any real live Muslims. Newsflash...they're people too and they're not all terrorists. Last time I checked my boyfriend wasn't a bastard or a terrorist.

sulawesigirl4 said:
ha ha. :|

I wonder if your dad actually knows any real live Muslims. Newsflash...they're people too and they're not all terrorists. Last time I checked my boyfriend wasn't a bastard or a terrorist.

woah, hold on...it was a stupid thing to say, it was said very very sarcastically though. he's not (and i'm not) in any way the type to villify muslims. at all. seriously. im sorry if i offended anyone, i probably should not have posted that.

and yes we know plenty of "real live Muslims" and are friends with them too...

and when i said bastard i was referring to the terrorists, and yes i do believe they are...

Well, that's good to hear. It is hard to gauge intent via the internet. I don't mean to be snippy but I get really weary by the amount of stereotyping that goes on as regards Muslims...especially since most of my friends, coworkers, etc. happen to be Muslim. Anyways, no offense to your dad, but there are plenty of other people who would make that sort of statement without any hint of sarcasm or irony, and this trend in America makes me sad and scared for the future. :(

VertigoGal said:
it looks nice, I guess. the twin towers looked better though.

calling it the freedom tower is kind of stupid...it should somehow commemorate the victims, but "freedom tower" is kind of...I dunno...

I was talking to my dad about this, he somewhat jokingly said we should put a muslim daycare on the top 2 floors. (not that that would stop some of those bastards)

I'm not gonna lie, I got a giggle out of that.

Stop.

Please continue this thread as an architectural dialogue.

The name "Freedom Tower" has been debated for years and the common thought is that the name is flat out stupid, and was derived from Governor Pataki and no one else. He will not always be in office, and the tower will not always becalled the Freedom Tower - it will actually have a street address and a different name.

I posted this, because I wanted to get a general opinion about the building's looks, and possibly compare it to the last version.

Now, put on your critics hats, and tell me what you think of the building, the building in it's context, and the building compared to what else is being built today...

pax said:

:|

And you're willing to admit that in public?

I can't believe that anyone would find such a comment to be funny.

Forgive me for not being PC, it may not be in good taste but why can't I laugh at it? I don't have hatred for anyone and don't go spouting stuff like this off to other people.

Honestly, it looks like those ugly-ass crystal statuettes sold on every street corner of the major tourist-y districts in NYC.

Better? :D

Freedom Tower? Tacky name....

I like the design, though. The artists' renderings make it look very bright and glossy, but I think when it is actually completed, it will suit its surroundings.

And I am glad that they are building a skyscraper; we shouldn't allow anyone to tell us that we can't aspire.

Last edited:
Sorry ouizy. :huh:

I'm not an expert in architecture but my only observation is that it doesn't look all that different or innovative. I feel like I've seen buildings that look like it before, although maybe not as big. But like I said, I'm a yahoo on that subject. :reject: It does look like it fits in the skyline (although it looks shinier and newer than the rest of the existing buildings).

Hmm. To be honest, I liked the look of the original Freedom Tower. I can understand if they thought that the original design didn't have enough office space, but this version of the Freedom Tower just looks too plain conventional. Oh well. Americans aren't known for being adventurous anymore anyway; but, at least, they didn't let Donald Trump bully his way into the least adventurous design.

Melon

Ahhh - this is better and refreshing.

And I have to say - I agree with a lot of what is being said here...

Not adventurous, eh?

melon said:
Hmm. To be honest, I liked the look of the original Freedom Tower. I can understand if they thought that the original design didn't have enough office space, but this version of the Freedom Tower just looks too plain conventional. Oh well. Americans aren't known for being adventurous anymore anyway; but, at least, they didn't let Donald Trump bully his way into the least adventurous design.

Melon

From Lewis & Clark to the Apollo Program to our current "adventure" in the Middle East, it cannot be said that Americans aren't adventurous.

Re: Not adventurous, eh?

misiek said:
From Lewis & Clark to the Apollo Program to our current "adventure" in the Middle East, it cannot be said that Americans aren't adventurous.

B..but...we need tax cuts, tax cuts, tax cuts! That's our problem. We USED to take up massive projects, but these days, if it might take 10 years to complete, that's merely a code word for "let's never do it at all."

When it comes to urban renewal, we don't build new buildings, unless a fire or terrorists consume them. Hence, this new, mostly interesting replacement for the WTC.

The last interesting thing we've done, IMO, which is Boston's "Big Dig," and it was full of incessant bitching that it took too long and cost too much. Nevermind that Asian countries often take up massive, expensive infrastructure projects. And it's actually said that Reagan only approved it for one reason: hoping it would cost so much and take so long that it would turn Massachusetts Republican. Well, I'd say that was a miscalculation.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread. I just have to wonder what $200 billion in money spent on building America's infrastructure would do, rather than $200 billion building Iraq's.

Melon

Re: Re: Not adventurous, eh?

melon said:

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread. I just have to wonder what $200 billion in money spent on building America's infrastructure would do, rather than $200 billion building Iraq's.

Melon

melon that is just crazy talk. quit empowering the terrorists. :happy:

The other thing with the new design, I wonder who they're going to get to rent the upper stories? Will anyone want it? I know that a lot of the original Freedom Tower was what some might consider "wasted space," but that was using the mindset that no one would remotely want to rent the upper floors anyway. I'm curious as to why they changed their minds.

Melon

Irvine511 said:
why must we name everything "Freedom"?

if you use a word too much, it looses all meaning.

i think it lost its meaning when Bush lied about the war.

Its alright to me. I like how it twists and its not plain straight up and down like skyscrapers usually are. I think its much better than the previous one, that one seemed really tacky to me.

I don't like calling it Freedom Tower though. Its sounds too political, and I think the new tower should stand as a memorial to those who died, and leave out the politics.

Last edited:
pax said:

:|

And you're willing to admit that in public?

I can't believe that anyone would find such a comment to be funny.

I found it funny. :eyebrow: I'm betting her father didn't mean it in a racist way and now you're turning it into something it is not.

Back
Top Bottom