New footage of JFK's Final Moments.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Diemen said:
Is there something new in there we're supposed to see besides a different angle of him passing by?

I'm not sure...there's an obvious edit there.

For me, it just illustrates even more clearly how that moment represented such a horrible loss for the world...it seems more vibrant than the old Zapruder (sp?) film that plays endlessly. Even though it's brief, you can sense the real anticipation in the crowd to see the president...so sad.

Diemen said:
Is there something new in there we're supposed to see besides a different angle of him passing by?

No, it's just new footage of the President and the First Lady a few blocks away from where the assassination took place. That's why the person who took the video didn't bother doing anything with it for so long - he figured there wasn't anything new on there.

But it's still an important historical document of that day, and I can see why a museum would love to have it. Also, the picture quality for something that old is amazing, and you get a great shot of Jackie.

I just understand why these uneventful extra moments are so noteworthy. I suppose that's why the question mark. Thank you for inquiring.

I've just read that some conspiracy theory is dismissed by the footage as it shows that Kennedy's coat was worn higher than normal.
That's why there is some difference in the exact spots the bullets entered Kennedy's back and the spots the bullets were expected to hit his coat.

Vincent Vega said:
I've just read that some conspiracy theory is dismissed by the footage as it shows that Kennedy's coat was worn higher than normal.
That's why there is some difference in the exact spots the bullets entered Kennedy's back and the spots the bullets were expected to hit his coat.

It puts into question the Magic Bullet theory. I have not viewed it yet. I will tomorrow when I have time. I have other footage saved on my computer. That I will compare it to.

It should not alter my opinions on things. There are those who believe that this proves the bullet entered higher in the back more towards the base of the neck. However, it cannot discount the autopsy photos that clearly show it was much lower.

It definitely looks to me that his coat is riding up higher than would be expected. He was wearing a back brace at the time, and I wonder if that pushe the coat up higher than normal. The assaasination boards that I frequent are nuts over this because it has reopened some debate. Still as I said earlier, you cannot change the entrance location on the body. The photos show where they were.

Sting 2 Had recommended the book by this guy. It is a pretty darn good book. I do not agree with some of his conclusions, in particular about Jack Ruby, but he wrote an article about the film clip Justin linked to.

Single Bullet, Single Gunman
By GERALD POSNER

THE ability to use advanced forensics and minuscule traces of DNA to solve crimes, even cold cases decades old, has turned many Americans into armchair sleuths seeking to “solve” the unexpected deaths of people like Princess Diana and Anna Nicole Smith. But sometimes, old-fashioned evidence is as useful in solving puzzles as anything under a nuclear microscope.

Last weekend, a never-before-seen home movie was made public showing President John F. Kennedy’s motorcade just before his assassination. An amateur photographer, George Jefferies, took the footage and held onto it for more than 40 years before casually mentioning it to his son-in-law, who persuaded him to donate it to the Sixth Floor Museum in Dallas. The silent 8-millimeter color film was of interest to most people simply because it showed perhaps the clearest close-up of Jacqueline Kennedy taken that morning.

But to assassination researchers, the footage definitively resolves one of the case’s enduring controversies: that the bullet wound on Kennedy’s back, as documented and photographed during the autopsy, did not match up with the location of the bullet hole on the back of his suit jacket and shirt. The discrepancy has given conspiracy theorists fodder to argue that the autopsy photos had been retouched and the report fabricated.

This is more than an academic debate among ballistics buffs. It is critical because if the bullet did enter where shown on the autopsy photos, the trajectory lines up correctly for the famous “single bullet” theory — the Warren Commission hypothesis that one bullet inflicted wounds to both Kennedy and Gov. John Connally of Texas. However, if the hole in the clothing was the accurate mark of where the bullet entered, it would have been too low for a single bullet to have inflicted all the wounds, and would provide evidence of a second assassin.

For years, those of us who concluded that the single-bullet theory was sound, still had to speculate that Kennedy’s suit had bunched up during the ride, causing the hole to be lower in the fabric than one would expect. Because the holes in the shirt and jacket align perfectly, if the jacket was elevated when the shot struck, the shirt also had to have been raised.

Some previously published photos taken at the pivotal moment showed Kennedy’s jacket slightly pushed up, but nothing was definitive. Meanwhile, conspiracy theorists have done everything to disprove that the jacket was bunched. Some used grainy photos or film clips to measure minute distances between Kennedy’s hairline and his shirt, what they dubbed the “hair-to-in-shoot distance.”

The new film has finally resolved the issue. At the end of the clip, as the camera focuses on the backs of the president and first lady, Kennedy’s suit is significantly bunched up, with several layers creased together. Only 90 seconds before Lee Harvey Oswald fired the first shot, Kennedy’s suit jacket was precisely in the position to misrepresent the bullet’s entry point.

While the film solves one mystery, it leaves another open: estimates are that at least 150,000 people lined the Dallas motorcade route that fateful day, so there must be many other films and photographs out there that have never come to light. Those who have them should bear in mind that even the most innocuous-seeming artifacts, like the Jefferies tape, can sometimes put enduring controversies to rest. As Gary Mack, the curator of the Sixth Floor Museum said the other day, “The bottom line is, don’t throw anything away.”

Gerald Posner is the author of “Case Closed: Lee Harvey Oswald and the Assassination of J.F.K.”

phanan said:
This doesn't change my opinion at all, since it's very clear the shot from the grassy knoll into the side of his head was the one that ultimately killed him.

But that would mean more than one shooter.

Dreadsox said:
But that would mean more than one shooter.

I've always been under the impression that it had to be more than one shooter. Then again, it's been quite a while since I watched any of those conspiracy theory "documentaries" :wink:. I did watch the link you posted, Dread. I never had noticed the confusion of the guards behind the car. But seeing his head explode like that...honestly, it all just makes me so sad. :(

I don't see how anyone could watch the Zapruder film and still think there was only one shooter and he was in the book depository. The initial shot, seconds before the head exploded entered through the neck and you can clearly see him put his hands up to his neck and Jackie look over in concern. This bullet came from the book depository and also hit the Governor. About a second later, the shooter from the grassy knoll got off his second shot, fatally hitting him in the head.

Yes, second shot. I recently saw an extended Zapruder film (I'd link you, but YouTube is being bitchy at the moment) where the motorcycle cops in the book clearly look in the direction of Zapruder (i.e. - the grassy knoll) in the shot where most witnesses claim sounded like backfire from a car. This shot completely missed everyone but the cops distinctly looked in that direction.
My guess is that the first shot came from the grassy knoll, behind the fence. The second shot, which hit his neck and the Governor came from the book depository, and the grassy knoll shooter had enough time to aim again and get the final shot in.

But what do I know? :wink:

DaveC said:

Back...and to the left...

Yes, but the back brace he was wearing could have prevented forward movement combined with the forward momentum of the vehicle causing the illusion we see....

not saying these are my opinions....but it is an argument for what you see.

Last edited:
sulawesigirl4 said:

I've always been under the impression that it had to be more than one shooter. Then again, it's been quite a while since I watched any of those conspiracy theory "documentaries" :wink:. I did watch the link you posted, Dread. I never had noticed the confusion of the guards behind the car. But seeing his head explode like that...honestly, it all just makes me so sad. :(

The official Warren Commision Report is that there was one shooter only.

The House Committee on Assasinations in 78(79) concluded that it was likely there was a conspircy involving more than one person and possibly more than one shooter.

I have an enhanced version of the Sapruder film on my computer. It is unbelievable.

I can't believe this guy held onto this for so long. He probably could have made money off of it when he was still young enough to enjoy it. It was nice of him to give it to the museum.

phanan said:
Enhanced in what way, exactly?

It is enhanced by zooming in digitally is my understanding. It shows a forward head movement that is VERY brief.

Back
Top Bottom