New Documentary About Jesus/The Muslim Perspective - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-18-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 11:34 PM
New Documentary About Jesus/The Muslim Perspective

There was no manger, Christ is not the Messiah, and the crucifixion never happened. A forthcoming ITV documentary will portray Jesus as Muslims see him.
With the Koran as a main source and drawing on interviews with scholars and historians, the Muslim Jesus explores how Islam honours Christ as a prophet but not as the son of God. According to the Koran the crucifixion was a divine illusion. Instead of dying on the cross, Jesus was rescued by angels and raised to heaven.

The one-hour special, commissioned and narrated by Melvyn Bragg, is thought to be the first time the subject has been dealt with on British television. Lord Bragg said: "I was fascinated by the idea ... Jesus was such a prominent figure in Islam but most people don't know that."
He denies the programme will divide communities. Raised as an Anglican, he describes the documentary as thoughtful and well researched. "I hope it will provoke among Muslims the feeling they are included in television."

The director and producer, Irshad Ashraf, said the film was an attempt to shift the focus away from extremism to the spiritual side of Islam. "Jesus is loved and respected by Muslims and he's one of the most important prophets in our religion." Representatives from mainstream Anglican and Catholic organisations were invited to take part in the film, to be broadcast on Sunday, but nobody was available, Mr Ashraf said.

Philip Lewis, the Bishop of Bradford's aide on inter-faith matters, urged believers on both sides to take advantage of a "worthwhile contribution to understanding a complex issue".

However, Patrick Sookhdeo, an Anglican canon and spokesman for the Barnabas Fund, which works with persecuted Christians, accused broadcasters of double standards. Mr Sookhdeo, who was born a Muslim and converted to Christianity in 1969, said: "How would the Muslim community respond if ITV made a programme challenging Muhammad as the last prophet?"

The Koran's denial of Jesus's divinity was "unacceptable". "On the last day the Koran says Jesus will destroy all the crosses. How can we praise that?"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/S...rc=rss&feed=11
__________________

__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 08-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 11:34 PM
Hmmmm
__________________

__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 08-20-2007, 06:29 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 05:34 AM
I find that interesting, but couldn't watch it.
__________________
Vincent Vega is offline  
Old 08-20-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 12:34 AM
What is your opinion about it, Dreadsox? Does it bother you or are trying to keep an open mind?
__________________
Pearl is offline  
Old 08-20-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Pearl
What is your opinion about it, Dreadsox? Does it bother you or are trying to keep an open mind?
I attend a church that is fighting for Gay Bishops and Equal Marriage Rights for all.

It does not bother me. I thought it would start some discussion.
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 08-20-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 08:34 PM
Quote:
"On the last day the Koran says Jesus will destroy all the crosses. How can we praise that?"



If I were Jesus
I would not be too fond of crosses.
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 08-20-2007, 03:35 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deep





If I were Jesus
I would not be too fond of crosses.
Excellent.
I never understood why "Mainline Christians" bow down to a symbol that represents the murder weapon of the Son of God.

I don't get it.
If your innocent child was bludgeoned to death by an ax murder, would you hang a picture of an ax all through your home in that child's memory?

Or would a portrait of your innocent child serve asa better reminder of his or her memory?

I think we should celebrate Christ's memory by portaits of Him and not by the portraits of the weapon that help facilitate his death.

dbs
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 08-20-2007, 03:49 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 08:34 PM
was he innocent?
or
was he guilty of sedition?

for allowing his followers to call him "King of the Jews'


occupying forces/ and their collaborating partners always want to stomp out the agitators

it is no different today
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 08-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 12:34 AM
I guess the reason why we bow down to Christ on the cross is because we believe that Christ was killed on the cross, yet he rose from the dead.

Isn't there historical evidence that Jesus was crucified? As in Roman documents that say so?
__________________
Pearl is offline  
Old 08-20-2007, 04:10 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 08:34 PM
My part in this discussion

would be that each person can have an opinion on what or who Jesus was.


I don't care that people will not agree with me or that some might.

Some of my opinions

Mohamed existed - 99.9%

that he or someone close to him wrote the Koran - 90%


That "Jesus of Nazareth" existed - 88 %

That he was executed by crucification, as was common for "crimes against the state" - 85%

That Moses existed - 65%

That Adam and Eve existed - 00.00001 %
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 08-20-2007, 04:10 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
was he innocent?
or
was he guilty of sedition?

for allowing his followers to call him "King of the Jews'


occupying forces/ and their collaborating partners always want to stomp out the agitators

it is no different today
Pearl and/or Deep-

Well if you had a friend who was convicted to die in the electric chair regardless if he or she was innocent and then the person was executed in said electric chair, what token would you like to keep of that friend in his or her memory?

a) A picture of the friend alive
b) A picture of the electric chair or replica therof in which the friend was executed.
c) A picture of the friend being executed in the electric chair
d) a minature replica of the electric chair that I could hang around my neck.

Please pick one.

dbs
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 08-20-2007, 04:11 PM   #12
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond


Excellent.
I never understood why "Mainline Christians" bow down to a symbol that represents the murder weapon of the Son of God.

I don't get it.
If your innocent child was bludgeoned to death by an ax murder, would you hang a picture of an ax all through your home in that child's memory?

Or would a portrait of your innocent child serve asa better reminder of his or her memory?

I think we should celebrate Christ's memory by portaits of Him and not by the portraits of the weapon that help facilitate his death.

dbs
Don't think Photobucket was around back then

Mainline Christians don't "bow down" to a cross as far as I can tell.
__________________
toscano is offline  
Old 08-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by toscano


Don't think Photobucket was around back then

Mainline Christians don't "bow down" to a cross as far as I can tell.
Many "Christians" do, and/or keep a replica of the cross nearby.

dbs
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 08-20-2007, 04:16 PM   #14
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond


Many "Christians" do, and/or keep a replica of the cross nearby.

dbs
Keeping a cross replica is one thing, bowing down to it quite another.

It's really very easy to figure out to why the cross is a symbol of Christianity, and I'd defy you to show me one "mainline christian" church which bows down to a replica of a cross
__________________
toscano is offline  
Old 08-20-2007, 04:20 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond


Pearl and/or Deep-

Well if you had a friend who was convicted to die in the electric chair regardless if he or she was innocent and then the person was executed in said electric chair, what token would you like to keep of that friend in his or her memory?

a) A picture of the friend alive
b) A picture of the electric chair or replica therof in which the friend was executed.
c) A picture of the friend being executed in the electric chair
d) a minature replica of the electric chair that I could hang around my neck.

Please pick one.

dbs


So is it

Remember the Alamo (place of the massacre)?

or Remember Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie?

Is the symbol of 911 the smoking buildings?
or the whole standing buildings?

Is anti-Cross based on an anti-Catholic bias?
__________________

__________________
deep is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com