New Documentary About Jesus/The Muslim Perspective - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2007, 04:20 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:28 PM
Catholics and Eastern Orthodox Christians will, but I doubt any Protestants bow to a cross.

To answer you're question (which is a good one), I would pick A. Heck, I have a portrait of Jesus hanging in my room. But I also have a collection of crosses on chain necklaces. I think you have to look at the history of Christianity, and to see why the cross evolved from a symbol of execution to a symbol of the religion. In the early days of Christianity, the fish was the symbol.

I don't know if your thinking is anti-Catholic, because I've known Catholics - and even a priest during mass - that questioned the use of a cross as a symbol of Christianity.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:23 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toscano

Keeping a cross replica is one thing, bowing down to it quite another.

It's really very easy to figure out to why the cross is a symbol of Christianity, and I'd defy you to show me one "mainline christian" church which bows down to a replica of a cross
Please explain why keeping a cross is essentail or demonstrates a healthy belief in Christ.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Pearl
Catholics and Eastern Orthodox Christians will, but I doubt any Protestants bow to a cross.

To answer you're question (which is a good one), I would pick A. Heck, I have a portrait of Jesus hanging in my room. But I also have a collection of crosses on chain necklaces. I think you have to look at the history of Christianity, and to see why the cross evolved from a symbol of execution to a symbol of the religion. In the early days of Christianity, the fish was the symbol.

I don't know if your thinking is anti-Catholic, because I've known Catholics - and even a priest during mass - that questioned the use of a cross as a symbol of Christianity.
I prefer different symbols in rememberance of Christ.

dbs
Old 08-20-2007, 04:26 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Is anti-Cross based on an anti-Catholic bias?
nope.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:27 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
originally posted by diamond
I prefer different symbols in rememberance of Christ.

dbs
Such as...?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:29 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:28 PM
While I personally don't believe symbols are the way to keep Christ's memory, it's flat out stupid to compare the cross to keeping an axe to remember someone getting murdered. Christ dying on the cross was done for the good of mankind, he did it intentionally as a sacrifice for people, so people remember the sacrifice by remembering the cross.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:32 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

Please explain why keeping a cross is essentail or demonstrates a healthy belief in Christ.
Ok, let's just remove the cross part of the story about Jesus, let's say he never went on the cross.

Your right, for me it changes nothing.

I don't need the crucification/ or resurrection to accept the things he said about charity and kindness and the examples of love and tolerance he set for us all to follow.

And I challenge everyone to say the same thing!
Old 08-20-2007, 04:33 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
originally quoted by deep
I don't need the crucification/ or resurrection to accept the things he said about charity and kindness and the examples of love and tolerance he sat for us all to follow.
I agree with you on that.

But why did Jesus make such a big emphasis on following him in order to "live"?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:42 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

But why did Jesus make such a big emphasis on following him in order to "live"?
I don't know that he did

I do believe that the powers that wanted to control "the church" by controlling what was in and not in the Bible hundreds of years after Jesus died,

well, it was in their interest to put in a lot of the "emphasis' to support their goals
Old 08-20-2007, 04:44 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

True, the church forgot what it was supposed to be about a very long time ago
Old 08-20-2007, 05:12 PM   #26
Refugee

Quote:

Bowing to a bare cross and bowing to a crucifix with Jesus' likeness on it are 2 different things though
Old 08-20-2007, 05:15 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

is it like the difference of bowing to a golden calf
and bowing to a bronze calf?
Old 08-20-2007, 05:15 PM   #28
Refugee

Quote:

Who's saying it's essential ?

Who says it demonstrates a healthy belief in Christ ?

I've seen plenty of people wear crosses from a purely decorative aspect

Since the cornerstone of Christianity is the resurrection of Jesus from the dead after he died on the cross, I think it's self-explanatory as to why there is such a huge significance.......
Old 08-20-2007, 05:34 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by toscano

I've seen plenty of people wear crosses from a purely decorative aspect

Since the cornerstone of Christianity is the resurrection of Jesus from the dead after he died on the cross, ....

If I saw a friend that died by the use of a weapon and came back to life I wouldn't keep a replica of the weapon that killed him in his rememberance.

I find ppl wearing a replica as of a weapon as decorative or in rememberance of somebody quite puzzling.

I think pictures, illustrations or replicating person's example on how he lived when alive would be a more appropiate way to celebrate that person's life.

dbs
Old 08-20-2007, 06:07 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:28 PM
Quote:
If I saw a friend that died by the use of a weapon and came back to life I wouldn't keep a replica of the weapon that killed him in his rememberance.

I find ppl wearing a replica as of a weapon as decorative or in rememberance of somebody quite puzzling.

I think pictures, illustrations or replicating person's example on how he lived when alive would be a more appropiate way to celebrate that person's life.

dbs
That's a terrible analogy.

How did Jesus live? He sacrificed. He gave himself to mankind. His sacrifice on the cross represents that.