New Bush Litmus Test For AIDS Funding - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2005, 05:20 PM   #106
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i guess it also comes down to how much freedom we should allow people to engage in activities that might be fun, that might be harmless, but might also be personally destructive.

who decides?
Society does this all the time. Think of this when you buckle your seat belt. Or wear a helmet while on a motorcycle.

Old 03-03-2005, 05:26 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by all_i_want
the prostitution will not stop just cause its illegal. the 'perversion' youre talking about, basicly 2 people having sex and one of them paying the other, is happening right now. i think you should weigh out the benefits and costs of legalizing prostitution rather than just playing the moral high ground and saying, 'they are awful, terrible, perverted people, shame on them!'
It wouldn't completely stop, but for those who desire to please their sexual desires could always go to strip clubs. Yes, it's happening, but if we don't enforce the laws, it's going to get worse. Legalization would further encourage the "career."

"Playing moral high ground"... Do you believe that legalized prostitution empowers women? Is it wrong for me to see this "career" as a self-demeaning trap? Let's recap a little bit on history. Slavery was a moral issue. If morality did not matter to anybody at that time, where would this country be today?

Quote:
http://www.beverlylahayeinstitute.org/articledisplay.asp?id=3466&department=BLI&categoryid=reports

But a panel presentation titled "Prostitution: Male Violence Against Women Exposed" shed light on how instead of eradicating sex trafficking, legalizing prostitution exacerbates the problem.

Melissa Farley, Director of Prostitution Research and Education, a project of the San Francisco Women's Center, revealed the findings of a survey of 854 people currently or recently involved in prostitution in Canada, Colombia, Germany, Mexico, South Africa, Thailand, Turkey, the United States and Zambia, and their experiences of sexual and physical violence.

The survey showed that of those involved in prostitution:

89% wanted to escape, but did not have other options for survival;
65% to 95% had been sexually assaulted as children;
70% to 95% were physically assaulted;
60% to 75% were raped;
88% experienced verbal abuse and social contempt;
68% met criteria for post-traumatic stress disorder. The severity of symptoms was in the same range as combat veterans seeking treatment, battered women seeking shelter, rape survivors, and refugees from state-organized torture.

[...]

Jeffreys explained that legalized prostitution did not solve the problem of criminal involvement in the industry. It did not solve the problem of unregulated expansion. And it did nothing to quell the violence committed against street-prostituted women. In fact, all of these problems worsened.

[...]

The Far Left has argued that legalizing prostitution would enable women to choose their working conditions and their clients. According to an article in Victoria's The Age newspaper (3/1/1999), former pimps with criminal convictions are forbidden by legalized prostitution from owning legal brothels, but they control them under front organizations. Furthermore, it is virtually impossible for exploited women to set up business for themselves.
Quote:
and the young generation you are talking about, are they just going to say 'hey, prostitution is legal! let me go out and sell my body!' ? if people do this cause they need the money and dont have any other choice, they would do it anyway, legal or not.
I would argue that not as many would be inclined to engage in prostitution, seeing that it is condemned by law. Again, strip clubs are available to the loose crowd who wants to make a quick buck.

Quote:
and if youre saying the young males will go out and sleep with prostitutes, well, as long as they are protected (which legalization will increase the chances of) what difference does it have from just having sex with your girlfriend? its also transferring funds to the economy?
Easy. If I had a prostitute in my past, I would not be with the woman I am with today. It's a scar of shame, at least where I come from. Limited pleasure for an exorbitant price, without a relationship. Once you're done, you gotta piss off. How does anyone enjoy this?

Quote:
just because you think you know whats right and moral for others to do doesnt mean we should heed your advice. the legislation has the chance to make life better for so many people and doesnt do it because of it OWN moral issues? it doesnt even do this when people are dying of AIDS? what morality are we talking about?
Okay, this example is exaggerated, at least I think so. But should two relatives be taught that sex with each other is wrong, or should they screw away? There has to be some form of morality in the government. Morality IS NOT ALWAYS religion. By eliminating all morality from the government, I don't even find that secularly logical. The purpose of the law is to protect people, even when they are self-destructive. The purpose of the executive branch is NOT to rebel against the current laws, but to enforce them. SO WHERE IS THE LAW ENFORCEMENT? DO YOU EVEN BELIEVE IN IT? We will have STDs whether or not we legalize prostitution. The government is not responsible for every aspect of your sex life, plain and simple. No valid enough reason would bring me to lower my standards for the sake of a small percentage who ultimately destroy themselves inside out.

Old 03-03-2005, 05:30 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:38 AM
I'm not trying to rip off this thread, but I do have a question about this. Prostitution has been called "the world's oldest profession", and that's probably true. Why do you suppose that is? Is it because in former times it was not possible for women to work for a living the way we can now? Any other ideas?
Old 03-03-2005, 05:33 PM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I'm not trying to rip off this thread, but I do have a question about this. Prostitution has been called "the world's oldest profession", and that's probably true. Why do you suppose that is? Is it because in former times it was not possible for women to work for a living the way we can now? Any other ideas?
Interesting point. More jobs are available to women now than ever before (correct me if I'm wrong). We've had a massive boom in double-income families in recent years. Women have been encouraged to take on jobs that wouldn't have been available to them sixty years ago. I'm not sure if what I'm saying relates to the debate for one side or the other, but it doesn't hurt to ponder a little bit.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:43 PM   #110
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Even monkeys have been observed to engage in prostitute-like behavior (as in trading food for sex, and the male monkeys would act like pimps, in some cases). It's probably evolutionary behavior.

Melon
Old 03-03-2005, 05:45 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Old 03-03-2005, 07:20 PM   #112
ONE
love, blood, life

Why the heck can't people start a thread about prostitution? this thread was about decisions that affect the ability to fight AIDS.

Read the article....

it was about drug needles...
it was about condoms.....

It was about making a decision that limits organizations from being able to fight AIDS.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:33 PM   #113
Blue Crack Addict

Dread,

I greatly admire and respect the work you have done to raise awareness about AIDS in Africa.

The article was about:

Quote:
Administration officials recently started requiring U.S. AIDS groups seeking federal grants as support for their overseas programs to sign a pledge publicly opposing prostitution.
Some organizations have rejected aid because they refused to sign the pledge. There was nothing in the article to suggest that the pledge limited organizations ability to fight AIDS other than their own reluctance.

The original post framed the issue in terms of the appropriatness of the pledge.

Is your thesis statement "there should be no limitations, restrictions or conditions on federal grants for AIDS relief"?
Old 03-03-2005, 07:41 PM   #114
Blue Crack Addict

Also from the article:

Quote:
Many AIDS groups -- some of them considered liberal on social issues -- say the best way to limit the disease is to acknowledge that some people inevitably engage in risky behavior -- intravenous drug use, prostitution or multipartner sex, for example -- and health workers should try to both discourage those activities and make them less dangerous.
I would think this two pronged approach to combating AIDS (discouraging risk behavior and making risky behavior safer) would not be controversial.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:57 PM   #115
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I would think this two pronged approach to combating AIDS (discouraging risk behavior and making risky behavior safer) would not be controversial.
But you can discourage behavior without denying aid.

I mean while bringing aid to these victims you are bringing aid to people who've engaged in unprotected sex or used dirty needles. Unless you are only going to reserve aid to those that are born with it and that would be useless.

The fact is, to do anything about this disease you offer aid to them all. And if providing condoms to prostitutes helps, then do it.

It's just common sense. Why some of you don't see it, baffles me.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:02 PM   #116
Blue Crack Addict

The aid is available to organizations who bring aid to people who've engaged in unprotected sex or used dirty needles.

You can discourage behavior without rejecting aid.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:24 AM   #117
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:38 AM
Quote:
The aid is available to organizations who bring aid to people who've engaged in unprotected sex or used dirty needles.

You can discourage behavior without rejecting aid.
Ok so why not aid to prostitutes? This still is making any sense.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:47 AM   #118
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Society does this all the time. Think of this when you buckle your seat belt. Or wear a helmet while on a motorcycle.

it does to a degree, but the degree of danger from the activity is usually commensurate with the amount of regulation.

death is often the result from car crashes without seatbelts and motorcycle accidents without helmets. not so with visiting a prostitute -- you could make an HIV argument, however the testing and regulation of prostitutes would hugely reduce the transmission of HIV to prostitutes and from a prostitute to a John.