New Book About Karl Rove

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
http://www.radaronline.com/exclusiv...et-rove-fires-back-at-books-gay-dad-claim.php

"Their new book paints the beleaguered presidential aide as a ruthless political opportunist who let few things obstruct his march to power."

"For starters, the authors claim Rove was behind a series of lesbian rumors that helped defeat incumbent Texas governor Ann Richards in the 1994 gubernatorial election. During the same campaign he also allegedly intimidated a reporter at the Dallas Morning News, Anne Marie Kilday, by telling her he had obtained telephone records showing numerous late-night calls to her home from a lesbian state official. "You've got to be careful about your reputation and what people might think," Rove said."

"Among the books other revelations:

Soon after Rove moved into his new office in the West Wing, previously occupied by Hillary Clinton, he invited three top Catholic priests to conduct a ceremony to purge the room of evil spirits. "It was an actual liturgical ceremony," says participant Deal Hudson. "We sat at the table, we prayed. A priest said a series of prayers, including a blessing." :eyebrow:

Another ditty involving Rove from another book

NY Daily News

"President Bush once daydreamed about blasting Bill Clinton's presidential library to smithereens, according to a new book.

In "How Bush Rules: Chronicles of a Radical Regime," former Clinton aide Sidney Blumenthal recounts a November 2004 visit by Bush and his political guru Karl Rove to the William J. Clinton Library in Little Rock, Ark., on the banks of the Arkansas River.

"Bush appeared distracted and glanced repeatedly at his watch," Blumenthal writes about a presidential tour during the library's dedication. "When he stopped to gaze at the river, where Secret Service agents were stationed in boats, the guide said: 'Usually, you might see some bass fishermen out there.' Bush replied: 'A submarine could take this place out.'"

The author muses: "Was the President warning of an Al Qaeda submarine, sneaking undetected up the Mississippi, through the locks and dams of the Arkansas River, surfacing under the bridge to the 21st century to dispatch the Clinton Library? Is that where Osama Bin Laden is hiding? Or was this a wishful paranoid fantasy of ubiquitous terrorism destroying Clinton's legacy with one blow?"

Blumenthal, who attributes his account to two anonymous eyewitnesses, adds that "Rove showed keen interest in everything he saw, and asked questions, including about costs, obviously thinking about a future George W. Bush library and legacy.

"'You're not such a scary guy,' joked his guide. 'Yes, I am,' Rove replied. Walking away, he muttered deliberately and loudly: 'I change constitutions, I put churches in schools.'"

Amen to that."

If all that is true, well :crazy:

I don't know if any of those accusations are true.

I have heard and read that GHW Bush, the father, fired Rove over ethical issues.

So when people tell me W is a decent person, and the whole thing about "restoring honor and dignity" to the Whitehouse. was and is complete bullshit.

Rove is so slick
that I would not put it past him
to have planted some bullshit in this book
that can easily be proven false

that way the whole book and author will be discredited

Last edited:
apparently, the book also says that Rove's father is gay, and that Rove has had, and continues to have, a good relationship with him.

good thing having a gay father won't stop you from kicking the shit out of gay people so you can get your evangelical bigots to the polls in November!

NY Daily News

Her head didn't spin around, but Sen. Hillary Clinton was momentarily tongue-tied when a reporter asked what she made of Bush adviser Karl Rove bringing in three Catholic priests to cast her evil spirit from her old West Wing office - as reported in the new Rove bio, "The Architect." After a long pause, Clinton could say only: "I'm speechless." Asked if she thought it was time for a new exorcism in the White House, the possible presidential candidate laughed uncomfortably and said, "Ah … let's talk about the American automobile [industry]," which is what she'd been discussing before Rove's name came up.

Irvine511 said:

good thing having a gay father won't stop you from kicking the shit out of gay people so you can get your evangelical bigots to the polls in November!
4585_bs_flag.gif

INDY500 said:

um, did you read the link?

do you not think gay marriage amendments were intentionally placed on the ballot in several swing states in 2004 in order to incite the frothing bigots? do you think gay marriage amendments have to do with anything other than giving the simple-minded a way to express their loathing (and probable fascination) with homosexuality?

Just one tidbit I found via Google

http://tianews.blogspot.com/2004/10/dark-side-of-karl-rove.html

The Homosexual Card

I discussed in my prior post about Rove that he has deliberately made homosexuality a topic of discussion in this election, more than any other election in the nation's history, through his frequent utilization of the wedge issue of affording marriage rights to homosexuals, and the related Constitutional amendment to outlaw such a practice. It turns out that homosexuality is a bit of a preoccupation for Karl Rove, and a frequent line of attack to levy against his political adversaries. This is a cynical line of attacks that are not only dishonest, but suggest that there is something wrong with being a homosexual in the first place.

More often a Rove campaign questions an opponent's sexual orientation. Bush's 1994 race against Ann Richards featured a rumor that she was a lesbian, along with a rare instance of such a tactic's making it into the public record-when a regional chairman of the Bush campaign allowed himself, perhaps inadvertently, to be quoted criticizing Richards for "appointing avowed homosexual activists" to state jobs.

But Rove does not reserve these types of accusations for electoral opponents alone:

Another example of Rove's methods involves a former ally of Rove's from Texas, John Weaver, who, coincidentally, managed McCain's bid in 2000. Many Republican operatives in Texas tell the story of another close race of sorts: a competition in the 1980s to become the dominant Republican consultant in Texas. In 1986 Weaver and Rove both worked on Bill Clements's successful campaign for governor, after which Weaver was named executive director of the state Republican Party. Both were emerging as leading consultants, but Weaver's star seemed to be rising faster. The details vary slightly according to which insider tells the story, but the main point is always the same: after Weaver went into business for himself and lured away one of Rove's top employees, Rove spread a rumor that Weaver had made a pass at a young man at a state Republican function. Weaver won't reply to the smear, but those close to him told me of their outrage at the nearly two-decades-old lie. Weaver was first made unwelcome in some Texas Republican circles, and eventually, following McCain's 2000 campaign, he left the Republican Party altogether. He has continued an active and successful career as a political consultant - in Texas and Alabama, among other states - and is currently working for McCain as a Democrat. [emphasis added]

Anyone familiar with the meme's that have been circulating through the right wing punditry will recognize Rove's fetishistic use of the homosexuality card against Kerry. From the onset, Kerry has been called effete, effeminate, French looking, foppish, etc. There have also been many insinuations about the relationship of Kerry and Edwards based on Edwards' comely appearance and there physical contact at campaign events. Perhaps motivated by the tightening polls, Rove has leaned more vigorously on the homosexual angle. Consider these events as reported on Legal Fiction:

Fox News Reporter Carl Cameron - who covered Bush in 2000 while his wife was campaigning for Bush - included the following quotes which Kerry was credited with saying, even though he didn't say any of them. Now, I've never been to journalism school, but I suspect they teach you not to do this. Anyway, the following quotes appeared on the Fox News website, before they jerked it down.

Rallying supporters in Tampa Friday, Kerry played up his performance in Thursday night's debate, in which many observers agreed the Massachusetts senator outperformed the president.

"Didn't my nails and cuticles look great? What a good debate!" Kerry said Friday.
. . .

"It's about the Supreme Court. Women should like me! I do manicures," Kerry said.
. . .

"I'm metrosexual - he's a cowboy," the Democratic candidate said of himself and his opponent.

A "metrosexual" is defined as an urbane male with a strong aesthetic sense who spends a great deal of time and money on his appearance and lifestyle. [emphasis added throughout]

If history is any indicator, I expect Rove to ramp up the innuendo and rumor in the coming weeks regarding the sexual orientation of his Democratic rivals. The fact that this is even considered and effective attack in the first place is a testament to how much further America needs to progress on the issue of homosexuality. The fact that Rove frequently returns to this line of attack, reinforcing the notion that it is in fact an attack in the first place, is astoundingly ugly.

from the same article

Rove's Lowest Low

Deciding on which moment in particular marks the nadir of Rove's dubious ethical record is not an easy task. Still, there is something about this anecdote that seems to stand out against the tawdry backdrop of Rove's career (again, note how Rove uses surrogates to accomplish his goals - and the undercurrent of homosexuality).

But no other example of Rove's extreme tactics that I encountered quite compares to what occurred during another 1994 judicial campaign in Alabama. In that year Harold See first ran for the supreme court, becoming the rare Rove client to lose a close race. His opponent, Mark Kennedy, an incumbent Democratic justice and, as George Wallace's son-in-law, a member in good standing of Alabama's first family of politics, was no stranger to hardball politics. "The Wallace family history and what they all went through, that's pretty rough politics," says Joe Perkins, who managed Kennedy's campaign. "But it was a whole new dimension with Rove."

...When his term on the court ended, he chose not to run for re-election. I later learned another reason why. Kennedy had spent years on the bench as a juvenile and family-court judge, during which time he had developed a strong interest in aiding abused children. In the early 1980s he had helped to start the Children's Trust Fund of Alabama, and he later established the Corporate Foundation for Children, a private, nonprofit organization. At the time of the race he had just served a term as president of the National Committee to Prevent Child Abuse and Neglect. One of Rove's signature tactics is to attack an opponent on the very front that seems unassailable. Kennedy was no exception.

Some of Kennedy's campaign commercials touted his volunteer work, including one that showed him holding hands with children. "We were trying to counter the positives from that ad," a former Rove staffer told me, explaining that some within the See camp initiated a whisper campaign that Kennedy was a pedophile. "It was our standard practice to use the University of Alabama Law School to disseminate whisper-campaign information," the staffer went on. "That was a major device we used for the transmission of this stuff. The students at the law school are from all over the state, and that's one of the ways that Karl got the information out-he knew the law students would take it back to their home towns and it would get out." This would create the impression that the lie was in fact common knowledge across the state. "What Rove does," says Joe Perkins, "is try to make something so bad for a family that the candidate will not subject the family to the hardship. Mark is not your typical Alabama macho, beer-drinkin', tobacco-chewin', pickup-drivin' kind of guy. He is a small, well-groomed, well-educated family man, and what they tried to do was make him look like a homosexual pedophile. That was really, really hard to take." [emphasis added]

I think that speaks for itself. He actually started a rumor that a man who dedicated his life to public service in the interest of children's issues was a homosexual pedophile, driving that man out of a career of good works. If that is not scorched Earth campaigning, I do not know what is.

Back
Top Bottom