Never Forget, right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
I purposely waited till the end of the day to post this thread... just to see if someone else would mention it.

In the aftermath of 9/11 it seems that people forget the events of 11 years ago today... which leads me to believe that the "never forget" slogans regarding 9/11 will too be forgotten once there's something else to take it's place...

Rest in peace to the six victims of the 1993 World Trade Center bombing... the first victims of the network that would become al Qaeda to be killed on American soil.

Last edited:
The human species is too self centered and our attention spans are far too short. These events will never completely escape us but yes as a whole we'll forget. I mean just compare New York the 3 months following 9/11 to now.

or RIP the 6500 Africans that died of AIDS on Sept 11, and the 6500 that died on Sept 12, and yesterday, and today, and tomorrow...

:(

Maybe because I'm in New York, they mentioned the Feb horror on the radio here. they're trying to come up with a temporary memorial place for those WTC 93 terror victims. Being that the original was oblitherated along with everything & everyone else.

As for forgetting.... I remeber the ? how many thousaunds, tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands(!)Tutsi's & Moderate Hutus underwent genocidal muder by Hutu extremists {started in April}.

It's the tenth anniversary of that, along with the Oklahoma Home-grown Terroist Bombing. I can't remember which was first- in April 7th & 10th--but as you can see they were only 3 days apart. :tsk: :(

Last edited:
I think remembering that it happened is far more important than remembering the exact date. I remember many horrors, but the exact date? No, I don't. But as long as I remember the event, I can look it up. The Jonestown mass suicide/murder; airline disaster on the Canary Islands; Bhopal, India poison gas leak (Union Carbide); the Exxon Valdez oil spill. Just be aware of what is happening around you and you will always be able to look it up, even if you don't remember the exact dates.

It is healthy to "forget," and, by that, I mean not to literally forget that it ever happened, but it is a sign that society, as a whole, has gotten past the grief and has been able to move on. It is a part of human nature, and, if we fixated on every bad event that has happened in our lifetimes, we'd explode.

But for those who died in the first WTC attacks, may they be at peace...

Melon

i think no one can forget, all the history is dismayed by horrible events such slaughters and many other cruelties which leave scars you cannot heal with surgery nor miracles...life MUST everytime go on, but in the same time it doesn't mean that we must forget...we CAN'T forget

Take the positive spin,

Although many of us have not had the 93 bombing on the forfront of our minds, those who were lost that day will be memorialized with those lost on 9/11.

It is not about forgetting,

It is about remembering.

((on a far side note and maybe a little off base, there are two twins that this New Yorker and architect will never forget as well, every time I look out my window I realize that although I "only" knew one person lost in the tragedy, there were always two twins who looked down on us every day. Despite their aesthetics, many of us felt comfortable simply knowing that they were there. Now they are gone.))

ouizy said:
on a far side note and maybe a little off base, there are two twins that this New Yorker and architect will never forget as well, every time I look out my window I realize that although I "only" knew one person lost in the tragedy, there were always two twins who looked down on us every day. Despite their aesthetics, many of us felt comfortable simply knowing that they were there. Now they are gone.

:up::up:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
or RIP the 6500 Africans that died of AIDS on Sept 11, and the 6500 that died on Sept 12, and yesterday, and today, and tomorrow...

Yes, considering that 3000 people died in all that terrorist business and theres a lot more dying daily from incurable diseases in the world, i know whose families i'd offer my initial condolences too...

Rest In Peace, Innocent Africans.

I'm not saying these people are more innocent than these people...all I'm saying is that while we sit in front of our hundreds of dollars worth of computer stuff and argue about Martha Stewart and why this candidate sucks more than this one, we should NEVER FORGET that an African DIES from AIDS every 30 seconds..."September 11"s are happening every day in Africa...

intedomine said:
2001 was 3 years ago. It's time to move on

It's kind of tough forgetting having two sisters in New York that day and trying to get someone on the damn phone to make sure that they're safe. I have never been so damn scared in my life. My parents were in Georgia, and one of my sisters had called my mother to tell her they were safe, but it was four agonzing hours getting a single person on the phone.
I know that thousands of people die in Africa from AIDS every day and that sucks. Any loss of life like this is a tragedy. But it really pulls on your heartstrings if there's the possibility it's someone in your own family.

It was an equally offensive post that I happened across that started me posting in here.

If you have nothing to say to honor the memory of those lost, move on. Why do you have to say something that need not be said.

That was three years ago. I have shoveled dirt in a peace garden with the father of one lost. There is not a day that goes by that he is not in pain. I know another father who lost his daughter. I know two women who lost thier husbands.

Three years...get over it.

Kiss my Irish Italian American:censored:

Since you're the champion of "don't put words in my mouth" I feel compelled to point out that interdomine actually suggested people should "move on." Slightly different to "get over it."

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Since you're the champion of "don't put words in my mouth" I feel compelled to point out that interdomine actually suggested people should "move on." Slightly different to "get over it."

Thanks so much for your pointing out my error.

Please feel free to insert "move on at the end" of my last post if you think that they mean the same thing.

Also, thank you for your understanding on such an emontional topic. Your lack of sarcasm and throwing passing at an opportunity to throw sharp objects at me makes me feel so pleased. You are definitley a role model for coming here to have friendly discussion.

If I am the Champion of "don't put words in my mouth" it is only fair that I dub you the Champion of Friendly Discussion.

Last edited:
Wonderful.

Do we all feel better now we took a rememberance thread and turned it into comparisons of which loss is worse, personal insults to each other, patronising, forgetting the original point of this and every other issue this thread has developed?

It's not necessary.

Headache, please feel free to start this topic again. We will hope it doesn't derail as this one did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom