Nestle demand $6m Compensation from Ethiopia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nestle is of the devil. they've been screwing third world countries for years.

http://www.babymilkaction.org/pages/boycott.html

NEW!! - Target Nestl? sponsorship

Nestl?, the world's largest baby food company, increases profits by promoting artificial infant feeding in violation of the World Health Organisation's International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes.

Nestl? knows that once a bottle has come between a mother and her child breastfeeding is more likely to fail and the company has gained a customer. Because of Nestl?'s continued disrespect for the International Code and infant health the company is subject to a consumer boycott of its products in 20 countries (Australia, Bulgaria, Canada, Cameroon, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mauritius, Mexico, Norway, Philippines, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, UK and USA).

The boycott will continue until Nestl? abides by the International Code and subsequent World Health Assembly Resolutions in policy and practice. For an in-depth briefing paper with links to other resources see Nestl?'s Public Relations Machine Exposed

Nestl?:

provides information to mothers which promotes artificial inant feeding and discourages breastfeeding
donates free samples and supplies to health facilities to encourage artificial infant feeding
gives inducements to health workers for promoting its products
does not provide clear warnings on labels of the benefits of breastfeeding and dangers of artificial feeding. In some cases the labels are in a language that mothers are unlikely to understand
Nestl? makes a profit while others count the cost

Reversing the decline in breastfeeding could save the lives of 1.5 million infants every year according to United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), (Ref: State of the World's Children 1991)

UNICEF states that in areas with unsafe water, a bottle-fed baby is 25 times more likely to die from diarrhoea than a breastfed one.

The expensive of baby milks affects all members of the family, impoverishing those already poor. In the developing world baby milks are over-diluted to make them last longer, which can cause malnutrition.

Breastmilk is free, safe and best for all babies - but Nestl? know that if they don't get babies on the bottle, they don't do business.

Nestle disgust me. Sadly they're far from being the only company to act unethically - businesses exist to make a profit, they don't care who they hurt in the process.

Makes me happy that my students' union have banned Nestle products from its bars and shops :)

Screaming Flower said:
Nestl?, the world's largest baby food company, increases profits by promoting artificial infant feeding in violation of the World Health Organisation's International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes.

:shocked: they are still doing this!!!!!! I remember reading about them doing a "test market" in the late 80's. I thought they stopped doing this when they saw they were doing more harm than good.

rat bastards :mad:

Back
Top Bottom