Neo-Con Fantasy - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2004, 06:23 AM   #16
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 05:12 AM
Yeah, interesting that Kuwait didn't become a democracy after the western world liberated them. Or did they just help the Royal Family to control their country in exchange for $?

Old 09-19-2004, 06:29 AM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 04:12 AM
My son-in-law served with the British forces in Basra. Before he went he firmly believed in what he was doing (in what I admit I believe to be a sheep-like, mindlessly follow orders type fashion). He came home with a strong dislike of the Iraqi people after he found himself being shot at on a daily basis. He even disliked the young children he showed us his snapshots of - he despised the way they'd come around begging for water every day. He spoke of throwing stones at them. The coalition forces have a word they call Iraqis - like they called the vietnamese "Gooks." He also defends the abuse and torture of Iraqi prisoners. He's very open about these feelings and they're shared with the other blokes he served with.

Of course there are Iraqis who will be happy and friendly to the occupying forces, but this was also true of the occupied people of Europe toward the Nazis. For a lot of them it means survival.

Old 09-19-2004, 03:55 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Harper
My son-in-law served with the British forces in Basra. Before he went he firmly believed in what he was doing (in what I admit I believe to be a sheep-like, mindlessly follow orders type fashion). He came home with a strong dislike of the Iraqi people after he found himself being shot at on a daily basis. He even disliked the young children he showed us his snapshots of - he despised the way they'd come around begging for water every day. He spoke of throwing stones at them. The coalition forces have a word they call Iraqis - like they called the vietnamese "Gooks." He also defends the abuse and torture of Iraqi prisoners. He's very open about these feelings and they're shared with the other blokes he served with.

Of course there are Iraqis who will be happy and friendly to the occupying forces, but this was also true of the occupied people of Europe toward the Nazis. For a lot of them it means survival.
I wouldn't be comparing the coalition occupation to that of the Nazis. I have friends over on their second tours of duty in Iraq and they are in the heart of the SUNNI Triangle, where the overwhelming majority of the resistence is. They talk of Iraqi people that are friendly and helpful and are really impressed by the new Iraqi military and police force which they work closely day to day with.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:24 AM   #19
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

I wouldn't be comparing the coalition occupation to that of the Nazis. I have friends over on their second tours of duty in Iraq and they are in the heart of the SUNNI Triangle, where the overwhelming majority of the resistence is. They talk of Iraqi people that are friendly and helpful and are really impressed by the new Iraqi military and police force which they work closely day to day with.
I can believe that and also believe that Iraq is better off without Saddam Hussein. If the war really had ended last May and things were peaceful there now I'd have a different view about the overall issue.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:04 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:12 PM
To believe that the coalition is on par with the Nazi's is an offence to those that serve and those countries within the coalition. Are you insinuating directly that the actions of the coalition forces are on par with the Wehrmacht? If so may you please cite the specific events of the coalition massacring with purpose civilians and the figures of civilians killed that even remotely compares to that of the Nazis.

I suspect the comment was reserved towards Iraqi's cooperating. In this instance I would disagree, Iraqi's want to survive, earn money and live in peace. They will work with their government becase that is the only power that can provide that.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:18 AM   #21
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Are you insinuating directly that the actions of the coalition forces are on par with the Wehrmacht?
Nope, I wasn't insinuating that. I was just stating that many people might choose to make the best for themselves out of a bad situation and try to get along with an occupying force rather than show resistance. That of course there are Iraqis who have genuine admiration for the coalition, but others might simply be playing the game.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:38 AM   #22
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 05:12 AM
Anyone with comments about this serious problem?

Quote:
He came home with a strong dislike of the Iraqi people after he found himself being shot at on a daily basis. He even disliked the young children he showed us his snapshots of - he despised the way they'd come around begging for water every day. He spoke of throwing stones at them. The coalition forces have a word they call Iraqis - like they called the vietnamese "Gooks." He also defends the abuse and torture of Iraqi prisoners. He's very open about these feelings and they're shared with the other blokes he served with.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:42 AM   #23
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
Anyone with comments about this serious problem?

sd