Need FYM's Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
So I just got the letter from the State Dept. that I passed the Foreign Service Exam! :) :)

Now what....??? :huh:

Give SD yer $.02 with this here poll. :wink:

SD should

1. say HAIL NO--no way you can contribute to implementing US/Bush foreign policy

2. Go for it. The State dept is full of liberal pansys anyway, so no worries.

3. run away--unless you WANT to go blind on paperwork?

4. Go for it--changing the system from within in exactly where progressives should be.

5. Hold out for a job with DATA :wink:

#4. In two years, Bush will be a figment of history, and you need to think about yourself.

Melon

I'll second the congrats, first off :up:.

And then I'll agree with everyone else here. God knows I'd have more trust in you than I do a lot of other government officials now. Go for it, indeed :).

And yes, it would be cool to see you doing something with DATA, too :D.

Angela

Yeah I agree with the rest.. no 4 and in case sth comes up no 5

congrats! :up:

if it really gets all boring paperworkand you start to hate it you can still change job

dont let go of your Paraguay program if you have enough time and dont put aside your travel agency

but you know, try the State dept, why not? I´d probably also try to work in the EU bodies (if they offered me).

I also think changes from within the system are important! As we have discussed once, measure the effect you have with the changes you bring about, not only on paper but in people´s minds. You have the right international approach to be working there. A lot can be moved if you work at the right place.

#4 sounds best to me.

At the end of the day you have to decide what's best for you, and what the best way of achieving your goals and dreams is.

Good luck!

I vote #4 - the State Department really needs people like you. You've got a chance to make a difference in a way that most of us only dream of.

Congratulations! :hug:

MadelynIris said:
If a democrat was in office, would you still consider #4?

:scratch:

I'm a little confused. Do you mean, "Would I agree to be in the State dept, even if a Dem were in office". Sure, why not?

Or do you mean, "Would it be as much of a problem for you if a Dem were in office?"
It would not be quite as much of a problem, no, but still enough of a problem. The difficulties I have with a lot of US foreign policy have existed most of my lifetime and are bigger than Bush. Remember, Dems. supported both Bush wars.

I hope that answers your question?

#4. Go for it, Sherry. We need people like you (and U2Democrat) working for the good of the country. Congratulations!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom