Need (English) translation of economic phrase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Popmartijn

Blue Crack Supplier
Hello,

For the past months (well, I think it's more like 1 1/2 years) I've been working on my final thesis. It's the only thing standing in the way between me and graduation. Yeah, I know, writing a thesis is so interesting. I'll be a happy man when I can finally finish it. And that moment is coming soon. :)

Anyhow, my thesis is in English, but for the research I did some interviews in Dutch (with Dutch persons of course). In one of those interview the interviewee used a (economic) phase I haven't been able to translate correctly in English. The literal translation is something like 'pig cycle', but I know it's not correct.
Let me explain the phrase: It describes the situation that, when there is a large shortage for a good/service, everyone starts producing that good/service. This results in a large surplus, after which most will stop producing. This, in turn, leads again to a large shortage, after which they start producing, etc.
(In the pig analogy, when the price of pork is high, all farmers start breeding pigs, resulting in a large surplus and a drop in the price of pork. This will cause the farmers to produce other goods, causing a sharp increase in the price of pork, etc.)

Does anyone know the correct phrase for this extreme cyclistic behaviour?

Thank you!

Marty

A quick Google search only turns up generic-sounding terms like "supply/demand cycle" or "shortage/surplus cycle."

Maybe we English-speaking types should start using the term "pig cycle."

Back
Top Bottom