Need Another Parent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
Move to Chicago......

Chicago Passes New Restrictive Ordinances

If you're a cell phone-using, goose liver-eating, cigarette-smoking, fast food-loving person, Chicago might not be your kind of town.

In this city that once winked at Prohibition, members of the City Council are trying to crack down on things they deem unhealthy, immoral or just plain annoying.

A proposal that would restrict fast-food chains from cooking with artery-clogging trans fat oils got a public airing last week, and in the past year alone aldermen have banned smoking in nearly all public places and the use of cell phones while driving.
Alderman Burton Natarus, who has sponsored a host of noise ordinances aimed at turning down the volume on street musicians, construction workers, boom boxes and motorcycles, agreed with those who argue the council is sticking its nose where it doesn't belong.

"I think we are trying to control people's behavior too much," said Natarus, who regrets voting for the foie gras ban. "We are trying to itty-bitty regulate every facet of somebody's life."

The latest target is trans fat, found in some oils used to fry chicken, fries and other foods. A proposed ordinance would limit the use of such oils by fast-food chains in the city. Like the foie gras ban, the proposal earned the mayor's scorn.

"Is the City Council going to plan our menus?" he asked.

Just a couple of things. . .

You can still you a cell phone while driving; you must be using speaker phone or a hands free device.

Smoking has been "banned" but it is not enforced.

WildHoneyAlways said:
Just a couple of things. . .

You can still you a cell phone while driving; you must be using speaker phone or a hands free device.

Smoking has been "banned" but it is not enforced.

Actually the smoking ban has been passed but CAN'T be enforced until a later date(can't remember the actual date, but it's not till next year)... Many believe it probably will be ammended by then to be a partial ban.

many places have "restrictive" cell phone bans like that & public smoking bans. i generally support both (depending on the specific details on the bans)

and the proposal for the trans fat ban has not been passed as far as i can tell...

:laugh: lol, that would put a lot of the good fried stuff off-limits though, now wouldn't it? Unless you want to go back to the days of having the flavor of lard stamped all over everything, or paying through your nose for decent quality peanut oil. I have a Southern Jewish cookbook at home with an old Crisco ad in it saying The Jewish Race has been waiting for Crisco for 4000 years!!! on account of its kosher shortening properties--aimed at Southern Jews, obviously; wouldn't even have made sense to anyone else. That always cracks me up.

The foie gras ban is obviously an attempt to force anti-French sentiments down the throats of the unsuspecting masses. :tongue:

In all seriousness though, don't these lawmakers have more important issues to spend their time on? :huh:

Back
Top Bottom