Nearly Half of Britons Unaware of Auschwitz - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2004, 07:57 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:10 PM
It always amazes me that people aren't interested in the Holocaust. It was horrifying, but how can you not want to know about it? How can one not want to remember those who suffered and died because of it.

I guess I was lucky as we actually were taught about it in school -- even had a whole day devoted to the subject...complete with a couple of documentaries with newsreel footage. Very grim stuff, but I think everyone should have at least that much exposure to it.

Old 12-02-2004, 08:06 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Auschwitz was the most notorious of the camps. To not have heard of it is just sad.
Exactly what I was thinking. I remember only getting a very cursory overview of the holocaust in high school, but we still learned about the concentration camps, and we all knew what Auschwitz referred to.

Old 12-02-2004, 08:15 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
It always amazes me that people aren't interested in the Holocaust.
I'm glad to see you post this b/c often I'm embarassed b/c I've read so much on the Holocaust and I don't want people to think I'm some kind of sadistic freak! And I'm not talking your basic testimonials like Anne Frank, I once read this book on Auschwitz over 600 pages and it explained and charted in every detail how the camps were designed and how the chambers and chemicals all work.....what was efficient and what lacked efficiency.....I remember thinking that if the people who built the camps had made anything other than an extermination camp, they'd probably have won some famous prizes.

I think this is the book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
Old 12-02-2004, 08:29 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

I've read Elie Wiesel, Primo Levi and Viktor Frankl - wonderful, heartbreaking stories from survivors and I'd recommend them to anyone.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:22 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 03:10 PM
Uh oh, if this were "50 percent of Americans don't know about Auschwitz" it'd be a world story about how ignorant americans are. This is why I find the attacks on awanderer for this thread so amusing.

On that note, I'd doubt 50% of americans know what Auschwitz is. It's not that everyone is ignorant, it's just that some people just dont' give jack or shit about the past (which is painful to say, because I'm a history teacher.)
Old 12-02-2004, 09:26 PM   #21
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl
Uh oh, if this were "50 percent of Americans don't know about Auschwitz" it'd be a world story about how ignorant americans are. This is why I find the attacks on awanderer for this thread so amusing.

On that note, I'd doubt 50% of americans know what Auschwitz is. It's not that everyone is ignorant, it's just that some people just dont' give jack or shit about the past (which is painful to say, because I'm a history teacher.)

Ain't that the truth...
Old 12-02-2004, 10:02 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:10 AM
I saw this great German movie about a hypothetical trial of Mengele? does anybody know about that one.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:24 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I saw this great German movie about a hypothetical trial of Mengele? does anybody know about that one.
Nichts als die Wahrheit?
Old 12-03-2004, 12:30 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Excellent, thanks.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:53 AM   #25
The Fly

ignorance and lack of knowledge aren't the same things.
but
let's ignore this
and enjoy our artificial superiority.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:22 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

I beg to differ
Quote:
ignorance

ig·no·rance

noun
1. lack of knowledge: lack of knowledge or education

2. unawareness: unawareness of something, often of something important
http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_18...ignorance.html
Old 12-03-2004, 05:12 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

i didnt know it..i knew there were death camps in Poland..

and I had a good estimate of number of people who were killed in DEATH CAMPS..

thanks for all the link
Old 12-03-2004, 06:07 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Gosh, I can't believe there are so many people who've never heard of Auschwitz. This stinks.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:10 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

I'm glad to see you post this b/c often I'm embarassed b/c I've read so much on the Holocaust and I don't want people to think I'm some kind of sadistic freak! And I'm not talking your basic testimonials like Anne Frank, I once read this book on Auschwitz over 600 pages and it explained and charted in every detail how the camps were designed and how the chambers and chemicals all work.....what was efficient and what lacked efficiency.....I remember thinking that if the people who built the camps had made anything other than an extermination camp, they'd probably have won some famous prizes.

i know how you feel--i first read anne frank's diary when i was 10, and it changed my life. when we hit on the holocaust in high school history, i became obsessed with learning everything i could about it, because i just could not believe that people would intentionally set out to harm other people in such a brutal and systematic way. when i went off to university, the bulk of the work i did for my history degree was about the holocaust. my bookshelf has alarmed and confused a few visitors who didn't know me well.

i think it's essentia that people know at least the basics about the holocaust, and ideally other similar horror stories--cambodia under the khmer rouge, kosova, armenia, rwanda, sierra leone, guatemala, native populations in north america and australia... i guess a lot of people don't want to be bothered hearing about such *unpleasantries* or think that it doesn't impact them in any way--silly arrogant fools.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:30 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

I can understand it if they didn't know during the war, because there wasn't the media there is today. But now? I've also seen that there are Americans who can't even put a correct year on the Declaration of Independence or the Civil War! I can't understand this, being a history buff, but still you'd think at this point it would be common knowledge.