NBC and CBS Ban Church Ad - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2004, 09:41 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
so gay sex, by definition, is inferior to heterosexual sex? let's set aside the decision to have sex, we have to because gay people are not permitted to have marital intercourse. let's pretend that we have 2 couples who love each other terribly and have been together for a long time. one couple is straight and the other is gay. are you prepared to render a judgement as to which physical union is better?
I can't exactly judge every relationship that exists - and I probably shouldn't - without knowing these people, or what's in their hearts. I think that a heterosexual relationship can be far worse than a homosexual relationship, such as lust-based, abusive, you probably get the idea. I'm honestly not sure how to answer your question, I know there's plenty of screwed up hetero relationships/marriages out there.

I personally feel that the woman is designed for the man, and that "mysterious distance" has made me a stronger person in my own life. As men, we like to think of women as over-emotional and irrational. I think we're wrong to make this presumption. Most of the time, we like to call ourselves "rational" in a dispute, when our "sense of rationality" is just a masculine emotion. I think it's an emotion of pride. I think in our hearts, we know what is necessary to make things work - buy flowers or some other cheap gift, move on - but our "rationality" - or emotions - get in the way. I think that in any relationship, the relationship should definately be considered more important at all times than how your current emotions are.

Old 12-05-2004, 09:50 PM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:24 AM
Say what?

Old 12-05-2004, 09:54 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

When a man and a woman get in a dispute, we think of ourselves as the rational ones. That sense of rationality could very well be a prideful emotion on our part. Just my thoughts on resolving disputes, I don't expect everyone to agree either.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:20 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:24 PM
Heterosexual unions and homosexual unions are both equally important. There shouldn't be this whole thing about one being "better than" the other-that just seems awfully arrogant to me. And hey, perhaps one reason homosexuality exists is to try to keep a balance in this world so that we don't become extremely overpopulated. Nothing wrong with people continuing on the human race, but that shouldn't be the only purpose of humans.

Angela
Old 12-06-2004, 01:28 AM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:24 AM
Frankly I think that they are both unimportant and I couldnt care less what other people do in their spare time. The only concern that I have is the low birthrate across first world nations, below replacement level birthrates could become a serious threat in future.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:35 AM   #66
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Glad we're sticking to the issue of the ad...
Old 12-06-2004, 07:13 AM   #67
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by pwmartin
I am.

Heterosexual union is better than homosexual "union." Heterosexual union might produce children and continue the human race. That, in short, makes it better.

so what about infertile couples?

or couples that choose not to have children?

or post-menopausal women?
Old 12-06-2004, 08:34 AM   #68
Blue Crack Supplier

oh, and your subtle use of "quotes" has not gone unnoticed.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:58 AM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

To get back on topic as much as possible, not every church shares the same principles, the same doctorine, etc. There are churches that interpret the Bible differently than others. I do feel that there are some churches who make no effort to balance love and truth. Some are governed more by politics than spirituality. Then again, they probably believe that Paul's opposition to homosexuality was a human doctorine that didn't come from God. There's quite a bit of potential to debate that on these forums.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:15 AM   #70
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I do feel that there are some churches who make no effort to balance love and truth. Some are governed more by politics than spirituality. Then again, they probably believe that Paul's opposition to homosexuality was a human doctorine that didn't come from God.
So only the ones that believe opposition to homosexuality is a human doctrine are governed more by politics? Oh that's brilliant!!! You're a piece of work.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:17 AM   #71
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Let's all take a deep breath here...

Join Amnesty.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:24 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Pax, please close this....we are not even close to the original topic.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:27 PM   #73
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Well, I'll make a deal with y'all.

We can bring the thread back 'round to the discussion of the UCC and their ad, or I can close the thread.

I'll give it a couple of hours and see what happens.

Join Amnesty.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:46 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:24 AM
To the original topic, the ad suggests that there are churches that "exclude" homosexuals.

More specifically, I take the commercial to suggest that a church should call homosexuality "not sin" or otherwise it "excludes" homosexuals.

Can well meaning people interpret Scripture to identify homosexuality as a sin - along with all the other things that are identified as sin in the Bible? Not elevate this as any greater form of sin, just include it with all other sins.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:54 PM   #75
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
More specifically, I take the commercial to suggest that a church should call homosexuality "not sin" or otherwise it "excludes" homosexuals.

I think this is reaching a bit. The commercial, to me, suggests that, for whatever reason, there are churches wherein homosexuals (particularly homosexual couples) are unwelcome. And I think you'd be hard-pressed to argue that this is not true. I'm trying to imagine two gay men walking hand-in-hand into, say, Jerry Falwell's church and having nothing happen.

I mean, what about the (Not So) Reverend Fred Phelps and his "church"? Are you saying gays would be welcome there?

Obviously even most churches that believe homosexual relations to be sinful would not react violently or even unkindly to most homosexuals or homosexual couples, but to say that there are no churches wherein they would be more or less kicked out is, I think, not true.

Join Amnesty.