National Pride - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2006, 11:08 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:59 AM
National Pride

So Discovery HD for the month of October is doing a series called Atlas Discovery. I saw the first one last night on China. Pretty much everyone they interviewed talked about how proud they are to be chinese and how everything they do in life is for the good of their country and how important there country is to them.

Have we as US citizens lost that or any country out there, have we lost all sense of what Pride is?

I recommend watching this program it is a great so far.

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence...=atlas_btm_bar

Old 10-02-2006, 11:14 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 01:59 AM
Re: National Pride

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
So Discovery HD for the month of October is doing a series called Atlas Discovery. I saw the first one last night on China. Pretty much everyone they interviewed talked about how proud they are to be chinese and how everything they do in life is for the good of their country and how important there country is to them.

Have we as US citizens lost that or any country out there, have we lost all sense of what Pride is?

I recommend watching this program it is a great so far.

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence...=atlas_btm_bar
difficult to find an anti-chinese government opinion in china, people tend to disappear

Very few chinese in the US have any kind of desire to return

Slightly ot, myself and some colleagues walking around Shanghai one day, someone says "almost as many Chinese here as in Irvine"

Old 10-02-2006, 12:04 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:59 AM
Re: Re: National Pride

Quote:
Originally posted by toscano
Slightly ot, myself and some colleagues walking around Shanghai one day, someone says "almost as many Chinese here as in Irvine"

i had to read this sentence a few times before i figured out what you were saying

it's a great series -- am intimately acquainted with it, and am proud it's finally up and on the air.

as for national pride -- i'd agree with your comments. it is VERY diffcult to film within China, and everyone is followed by government "minders" and the Chinese themselves know they are speaking to Western/American cameras, so dissent is not something you're going to ever get on film when you're making a well-publicized, well-funded neo-travalogue as Atlas is.

that said, i think most Chinese are justifiably proud of their 5,000 years of history and heritage and culture and cuisine, though i would be hesitant to translate this as pride in the activities of their government.