National Geographic Africa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wizard2c

Refugee
In my quest for an open gasoline station this early morning, I stopped by my local supermarket to buy some groceries........came across the September 2005 edition of National Geographic.....entire edition devoted to Africa {in case any are interested in this topic}.

BTW, one gasoine station was open pumping all grades at all pumps and the local Chevron had only regular with note reading "Police Vehicles Only"........????? makes one wonder??????

I paid $3.19 for supreme because it's the recommended fuel for my vehicle.....but I was THANKFUL I could find it so I have enough to go to work this week.

Anyhow, a quote from National Geographic Africa:

"Is the African continent doomed eternally to wars, poverty, and devastating diseases? Absolutely not." -Jared Diamond

:|

Who's Jared Diamond?

Btw, if your car is a new model, you dont necessarily have to buy the premium or higher octane pterol. It will make your car peform better in the immediate term but wont make any long term difference if you keep it running well.

Only mentioned the magazine because it dealt exclusively with Africa.

Departments:
Geographica
Introduction
by Jared Diamond

Africa Forum: What do you think the future holds for Africa? Share your opinions in our online forum at ngm.com/africa.

--------------------------

I own a 2005 Corvette....yes, it does get exceptional mileage for the vehicle type.

Jared Diamond is technically a physiologist but writes in the area of evolutionary biology. His recent book is "Guns, Germs and Steel," and PBS recently made a series out of it. It's a fascinating look at the question, "Why are some parts of the world poor and some parts rich?" I use it in a class I teach :nerd:

god, i've been waiting to use that new smiley.

Ah, thanks guys :) He sounds like an interesting character. Thank you, ruffian!

Carol, are you annoyed? You frequently use the :| smilie and I cant tell if you're annoyed or if it means something else.
Nice car though!

Thank you for that information ruffian.

I am just trying to concentrate my thoughts on other than Hurricane Katrina.....the news media have turned it into a 24/7 saga. I view the world as that.....the World. Glad you could use your nerd glasses........you must be very intelligent.

----------------------------
Learn from the past....do not dwell on it.

I saw this issue at my grandparent's house. I only had time to quick browse through, but I attached a note for Grandpa that says "Save for Lies!" There were some great pics and a good map it looked like. Can't wait till Gramps hands it over....

His follow-up to "Guns Germ and Steel", which came out a few months ago, is just as good.

Sorry I forgot the title though. I'm sure Amazon will have it.

Back
Top Bottom