Nasty Christians who care less about Poverty than they do gay marraige... - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2005, 04:30 PM   #46
War Child

Local Time: 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler

No, I think I have an idea of how "tolerant" and "liberal" they are. I've pretty much taken the reverse path that you have and I suspect that I could easily have a civil and interesting/enlightening discussion with you.
The Catholic one is tough. Anti-Death Penalty, Anti-War in Iraq, Pro-fight against poverty, Pro-help for AIDS in Africa, but anti-gay, but their lack of harsh action against the sexual predators within their own organization really turned me away.

The Episcopals were more "Catholic-lite", and have their own less publicized issues. with the same problem.

Either way, I think their position on the major items are definitely more liberal than they are conservative. Of course, depends on what you consider "major" !

If the most imprtant thing is gay marriage, they are definitely conservative. If it's the death penalty or the war in Iraq, they are definitely liberal.

That's why they (and others) shouldn't be so quickly pigeonholed as being either right or left leaning.

Same goes for Conservative Evangelicals, we shouldn't be so quick to assume that the media stereotype of the Evolution-denyin', home-schooled homophobic Robertson-watchin' Bush-lovin' warmongering racist is indicative of everyone who goes to a Conservative Evangelical church. Last I checked Bill Clinton was (or claims to be) a practising Southern Baptist, along with Jimmy Carter.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:17 PM   #47
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by neutral

I also find the thread title offensive, "sarcastic" or not.
I agree. Gay marriage has nothing to do with this, plus you are only giving one example. Really this title has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:01 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:11 AM
Got ya'll you read it though, didn't it?
Old 01-04-2005, 08:32 PM   #49
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
Got ya'll you read it though, didn't it?
But so would "the Pope is gay"

I'm all for titles that make the person read the thread, but it should do something with the subject at hand.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:44 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

But so would "the Pope is gay"

I'm all for titles that make the person read the thread, but it should do something with the subject at hand.
When I read the inital post in the thread I had the impression that what the author (of the thread) was pointing out with the title is that here is a congregation who's big issue isn't gay marriage, but trying to eradicate poverty. So the is title provocative, but I didn't think entirely off topic either.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:48 PM   #51
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

When I read the inital post in the thread I had the impression that what the author (of the thread) was pointing out with the title is that here is a congregation who's big issue isn't gay marriage, but trying to eradicate poverty. So the is title provocative, but I didn't think entirely off topic either.
No, I understand what they were trying to do, it was just poorly executed. Very poorly.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:27 AM   #52
The Fly

Local Time: 09:11 PM
If the idea was to get you to read it (and as you said you understand what they were trying to do) then it was hardly poorly executed- it was well executed because it succeeded!
Old 01-05-2005, 07:45 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:11 AM
The title gets under the skin.....like that has never been done before in FYM
Old 01-06-2005, 08:46 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:11 AM
So we still haven't figured Left and Right is bullshit, if people can't see past labels we're all fucked no matter how much you hold to your ideals, right or wrong in mine ore others opinions they may be.................... thank you