Nancy Reagan Opposes Ronald Reagan Dimes - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2003, 03:27 AM   #46
The Fly

Local Time: 03:23 PM
Sure, The Soviets collapsed. However lets not ignore The Gipper selling weapons to Iraq to kill Iranians, then secretly selling weapons to Iran to kill Iraqis. Or how about those Nicaraguan rebels? Noriega anyone? Let's not forget how Reagan tripled a deficit, or completely ignored the rising AIDS crisis. Let's not forget the high unemployment, and the decimated mental health system. Let us also not forget under Reagan how the CIA trained and provided weaponry to a certain Saudi with the initials OBL.
Thats the Reagan I remember.

Old 12-10-2003, 08:41 AM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

you still use RUSH LIMBAUGH as a source,

why? why?

Old 12-10-2003, 09:32 AM   #48
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:23 PM
Actually, the CIA never supplied OBL with weapons to fight the Soviets. While weapons were given to native Afghani fighters, they were not given to those who came to fight from the countries around the Gulf as those were considered the more militant Muslims (and were not even natives of the land). Bin Laden himself in the arly 90s denied that he ever received aid from the U.S. Besides, his hatred of the United States fro support of Israel is probably much too strong for him to ever compromise.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:04 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home

Quote:
In a book published by an aide in 1996, Nixon is quoted as saying that Reagan's economic policies were unduly harsh and cautioned against giving him too much credit for winning the Cold War. "Communism would have collapsed anyway," he told Monica Crowley, a Nixon aide in his last years, according to her book, "Nixon Off the Record."

Nixon had a better grasp of world politics than Rush Limbaugh ever will. (with or without his hillbilly heroin)
Old 12-10-2003, 04:23 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Skwege
Sure, The Soviets collapsed. However lets not ignore The Gipper selling weapons to Iraq
Please provide a detailed list of weapons that the United States sold Iraq.

I can save you time. There is none.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:25 PM   #51
Creator of the Blue Crack

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

You're right, we gave them to Iraq.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:33 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis

You're right, we gave them to Iraq.
That would be incorrect as well. The United States did not supply Iraq with weapons.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:52 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

There are NONE... Before the grammar police catch me...LOL Seriously....To type or not to type....that is the question. I want my brain back and functioning.

I came back to type this....

I have a good friend who used to worship Mr. Reagan. He lived in Russia from 1999-2000. He is a chemical engineer, and was there trying to help a company produce steel. He has the same perspective as Mr. Nixon. He said that things are still so screwed up over there that it is going to take a long long time to recover. For example, in the steel plant he wanted to get a record of something and the secretary pulled out a ledger of paper written in pencil. These are engineers. He said they still employ people in these plants and he does not know what they do. His understanding is that before the fall of communism, the stores had no products, but people had money. Now, the stores have plenty of products, but no one has enough to buy the products.

Needless to say, my buddy now believes they were heading for the fall even without President Reagan. However, his policies may have sped things up a bit.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:02 PM   #54
Creator of the Blue Crack

Quote:

That would be incorrect as well. The United States did not supply Iraq with weapons.

I'd urge you to dig deeper into the books.... the US and Saddam go WAY back.

The US also supplied Afghanistan with many weapons in the past.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:10 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Dread,

Your friend is wrong that there were products on Soviet shelves before.

He may be referring to the period in the mid-late 80s when stores started being more stocked. But before that, it was bare - no money and no products.

My mother went to the USSR in the early 70s, she still remembers as being there with lots of money (relative to them) and was unable to find a place in Moscow where she could get sliced deli meats for sandwiches.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:15 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Dread,

Your friend is wrong that there were products on Soviet shelves before.

He may be referring to the period in the mid-late 80s when stores started being more stocked. But before that, it was bare - no money and no products.

My mother went to the USSR in the early 70s, she still remembers as being there with lots of money (relative to them) and was unable to find a place in Moscow where she could get sliced deli meats for sandwiches.
That may be it....I am not sure.....I can only relate our phone conversation today. Thought is was pertinent.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:25 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis

I'd urge you to dig deeper into the books.... the US and Saddam go WAY back.

The US also supplied Afghanistan with many weapons in the past.
Elvis, having been a member of this forum for over a year, and engaged in many a debate on this topic, and read quite a few books on this topic, I am willing to free my mind.

In all of my research I have found NO WEAPONS sold or given to Iraq during the Reagan administration. Sting and I have repeatedly asked for anyone who is able to point us in the right direction. If you can, please give me the book or link to information that details the weapons systems that were provided by the United States.

I am well aware that the US did under Reagan, relax some of the trade requirements that allowed dual use technology to be sold to Iraq by US corporations. I am also aware that NATO allies, played an increasing role in attempting to cozy up to Iraq when Iran stopped being one of the main pillars of resistance against communism in the 1970's against the Cold War. So the shift in US policy along with its allies in the 1980's was of necessity due in part to the loss of an ally in the region.

However, in all of my research and reading on the area, including the book written by Kenneth Pollack, Iraq's weapons were not made in the good old USA nor were they supplied by the USA.

But, I have a vacation coming up, please point me to the books that have the weapons information or the websites that are not written by some extremist organization. Thanks.

Matt
Old 12-11-2003, 02:39 AM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Elvis, having been a member of this forum for over a year, and engaged in many a debate on this topic, and read quite a few books on this topic, I am willing to free my mind.

In all of my research I have found NO WEAPONS sold or given to Iraq during the Reagan administration. Sting and I have repeatedly asked for anyone who is able to point us in the right direction. If you can, please give me the book or link to information that details the weapons systems that were provided by the United States.

I am well aware that the US did under Reagan, relax some of the trade requirements that allowed dual use technology to be sold to Iraq by US corporations. I am also aware that NATO allies, played an increasing role in attempting to cozy up to Iraq when Iran stopped being one of the main pillars of resistance against communism in the 1970's against the Cold War. So the shift in US policy along with its allies in the 1980's was of necessity due in part to the loss of an ally in the region.

However, in all of my research and reading on the area, including the book written by Kenneth Pollack, Iraq's weapons were not made in the good old USA nor were they supplied by the USA.

But, I have a vacation coming up, please point me to the books that have the weapons information or the websites that are not written by some extremist organization. Thanks.

Matt
Joel Tanner cannot and will not ever hold a candle to the intellect of Dreadsox or Sting.

Diamondbruno9
Old 12-11-2003, 06:49 AM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

Joel Tanner cannot and will not ever hold a candle to the intellect of Dreadsox or Sting.

Diamondbruno9
$10 says he spells better than me and has better grandmar!

{BOSTON ACCENT} He was SMAAAAT enough to creat this place!

Mr. Diamondbruno.....What does Rush Limbaugh and Dreadsox have in common?

They are both addicted to painkillers and it has warped their political ideology.

That is my liberal wife's little joke.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:07 AM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

haha