Nancy Reagan Opposes Ronald Reagan Dimes - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-09-2003, 07:03 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Skwege



He showed restraint, even when Military Leaders were pressing for him to invade Cuba during the Missile Crisis. America was under a threat 1,000 times more dangerous than anything Iraq posed currently. Nonetheless JFK showed restraint. He knew what would happen if he didn't, everyone would die.
Another interpretation....

He sent Bobby to the Soviet Foreign Minister, cut a back room deal to remove missles out of Turkey in exchange for the removal of missiles out of Cuba. This was done wink wink hush hush without letting our allies know so Kennedy could appear like he stood up to the Communists, when in fact he did not. Good for election purposes. It also allowed him to look good to our allies, however, it kinda sucked to be NATO, left in the dark surprise we are removing the JUPITER missiles out of Turkey.

But yes, he did prevent Nuclear Holocaust. But, before we go tooting the horn about the success of the blockade, lets seriously look at how he used it to set himself up to look good for the re-elections and how he shafted his allies.

Peace

We are also talking about my 100% favorite politician. He NEVER missed an opportunity to turn something into political gain for himself. People do not understand this man was a politician 1st and foremost.
__________________

__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 09:07 PM   #32
The Fly
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 169
Local Time: 09:47 PM
I am quite aware of the issue surrounding Turkey. Frankly it doesnt matter. No price was too big to prevent nuclear war.
__________________

__________________
Skwege is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 09:26 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Skwege
I am quite aware of the issue surrounding Turkey. Frankly it doesnt matter. No price was too big to prevent nuclear war.
The Soviets did not want it as much as we did not want it.

Kennedy,,,,being as drugged up as he was when he met Kruschec may have helped cause the cuban missle crisis.

Kennedy....by screwing around with the Bay of Pigs and Operation Mongoose may have helped cause the cuban missle crisis.

Kennedy by appearing weak in Berlin, may have helped cause the crisis.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have spent more time studying this man than I care to say. I admire him for getting the situation resolved, however, he was partially responsible for bringing us to that point.
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 09:34 PM   #34
Creator of the Blue Crack
 
Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,008
Local Time: 08:47 PM
Kennedy has NOTHING to do with the topic of Reagan being on dimes.

I know, I know... it's a real bitch when Elvis get's involved in a thread in FYM. Deal with it and stay on topic
__________________
I created this place. I hyped a band.
Now I own an ad agency. We hype brands.
All roads for me lead back to U2. Ain't it grand.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Elvis is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 09:47 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 09:47 PM
kennedy was no reagan
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 09:49 PM   #36
The Fly
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 169
Local Time: 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
kennedy was no reagan
Yeah, Kennedy wouldn't have repressed AIDS research for a decade.
I can't believe some of the same people who champion Bono's crusade for Africans AIDS relief, defend Reagan. It's absurd.
__________________
Skwege is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 09:51 PM   #37
The Fly
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 169
Local Time: 09:47 PM
Reagan should be on the 3 trillion dollar bill, to better represent the deficit he created with his reckless military spending.
If I am correct, REAL Republicans believe in a balanced budget. Reagan was just the beginning of the Religious Right Forced Morality Republicans.
__________________
Skwege is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 09:54 PM   #38
Creator of the Blue Crack
 
Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,008
Local Time: 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Skwege
Reagan should be on the 3 trillion dollar bill, to better represent the deficit he created with his reckless military spending.
If I am correct, REAL Republicans believe in a balanced budget. Reagan was just the beginning of the Religious Right Forced Morality Republicans.

LOL!

__________________
I created this place. I hyped a band.
Now I own an ad agency. We hype brands.
All roads for me lead back to U2. Ain't it grand.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Elvis is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 09:58 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 09:47 PM
for the lesser informed...

Gorby Admits: Reagan Flushed the Soviet Union

The History Channel special "Reagan: A Legacy Remembered" featured some fantastic interviews and analysis on the greatest president of my lifetime, Ronald Wilson Reagan.

I rolled you a few clips from the show on Tuesday's program.

It featured Mikhail Sergeyevich Gorbachev admitting what we've said all along: that without Reagan, the march of freedom wouldn't have liberated the Russian people.

The Russians chose the left's favorite dictator to run the USSR because Reagan scared the borscht out of them.

They thought he was some dangerous cowboy who had his finger on the button and was just waiting for someone to say, "Draw!"

Gorbasms, by the way, are mostly experienced by liberals -- which are always fake.

The man with the birthmark shaped like a map of the US also described his first meeting with Mr. Reagan.

The Soviet kabal chose the personable Gorby in hopes that he'd placate Reagan.

In the process of doing so, Gorbachev made the fatal mistake of trying to trickle freedom to the people.

As Gorby said: "If at that time someone else had been in his place, I don't know whether what happened would have happened."

I also rolled you a pair of clips from former Congressman Dan "Rosty" Rostenkowski.

He told a story of talking tax cuts with the president, and of Reagan saying that he was paying a top marginal tax rate of 91% when he was in Hollywood.

The top marginal rate was 72% in 1981, having been reduced by JFK.

In Post-Reagan 1989, it was 28%, and revenues had boomed.

Rosty laughed at Reagan's tax bracket remark.

When Reagan asked what about, the congressman said, "I didn't think you were that good an actor."

Reagan's reaction was a far cry from today's thin-skinned politicians.

In Rosty's words, he "laughed like hell."

Rosty also admits, "We were all jealous of him, and I fought Ronald Reagan in his first year and a half of office, and I got slaughtered, because he was so popular..."

__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 10:02 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 09:47 PM



In November 1985, Reagan and newly instated Gorbachev met at a conference in Geneva to talk about nuclear weapon control. The communication between these two men would continue for four years. Ironically the meeting that accomplished the most was thrown together at the last minute. In Iceland 1987, The two world leaders came together for an informal peace talk that put stringent restrictions on nuclear weapons. The talks increased and accomplished more and more. It not only helped Americans relax about nuclear weapons; it was an example that communication in what ever form led to something. Reagan and Gorbachev did not agree all the time. Their specific details were always different but the primary goal was the same: to have the countries in a open conversation with each other, able to help out and learn from each country. Unification was never the goal but the realization that an iron curtain hurts both sides and helps neither led to the breakthrough of communication that led the world to breath easier. One year after the last talk the Berlin wall fell and Germany united.

__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 10:08 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis
Kennedy has NOTHING to do with the topic of Reagan being on dimes.

I know, I know... it's a real bitch when Elvis get's involved in a thread in FYM. Deal with it and stay on topic
Hey I hit you with a snow ball!
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 10:46 PM   #42
The Fly
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 169
Local Time: 09:47 PM
Diamond,
Why don't you try to come up with a defense in your own words, instead of just cutting and pasting someone elses article?

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond


In November 1985, Reagan and newly instated Gorbachev met at a conference in Geneva to talk about nuclear weapon control. The communication between these two men would continue for four years. Ironically the meeting that accomplished the most was thrown together at the last minute. In Iceland 1987, The two world leaders came together for an informal peace talk that put stringent restrictions on nuclear weapons. The talks increased and accomplished more and more. It not only helped Americans relax about nuclear weapons; it was an example that communication in what ever form led to something. Reagan and Gorbachev did not agree all the time. Their specific details were always different but the primary goal was the same: to have the countries in a open conversation with each other, able to help out and learn from each country. Unification was never the goal but the realization that an iron curtain hurts both sides and helps neither led to the breakthrough of communication that led the world to breath easier. One year after the last talk the Berlin wall fell and Germany united.

__________________
Skwege is offline  
Old 12-10-2003, 12:23 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
ILuvLarryMullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: in the sunshine
Posts: 6,904
Local Time: 08:47 PM
yeah, let's push the man who pulled us out of the great depression of the dime and put reagan on it . I can't believe i'm actually agreeing with nancy on something, well i guess there's a first for everything.
__________________
ILuvLarryMullen is offline  
Old 12-10-2003, 01:21 AM   #44
The Fly
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 169
Local Time: 09:47 PM
Nancy Reagan is a hypocrite anyways. She secretly campaigns for stem cell research(Which could help in finding a cure for Alzheimers) while still defending the GOP's position on the issue.
__________________
Skwege is offline  
Old 12-10-2003, 01:27 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
for the lesser informed...

Gorby Admits: Reagan Flushed the Soviet Union

you still use RUSH LIMBAUGH as a source,

why? why?
__________________

__________________
deep is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com