Nancy Reagan Opposes Ronald Reagan Dimes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Skwege said:

He showed restraint, even when Military Leaders were pressing for him to invade Cuba during the Missile Crisis. America was under a threat 1,000 times more dangerous than anything Iraq posed currently. Nonetheless JFK showed restraint. He knew what would happen if he didn't, everyone would die.

Another interpretation....

He sent Bobby to the Soviet Foreign Minister, cut a back room deal to remove missles out of Turkey in exchange for the removal of missiles out of Cuba. This was done wink wink hush hush without letting our allies know so Kennedy could appear like he stood up to the Communists, when in fact he did not. Good for election purposes. It also allowed him to look good to our allies, however, it kinda sucked to be NATO, left in the dark surprise we are removing the JUPITER missiles out of Turkey.

But yes, he did prevent Nuclear Holocaust. But, before we go tooting the horn about the success of the blockade, lets seriously look at how he used it to set himself up to look good for the re-elections and how he shafted his allies.

Peace

We are also talking about my 100% favorite politician. He NEVER missed an opportunity to turn something into political gain for himself. People do not understand this man was a politician 1st and foremost.

Last edited:
I am quite aware of the issue surrounding Turkey. Frankly it doesnt matter. No price was too big to prevent nuclear war.

Skwege said:
I am quite aware of the issue surrounding Turkey. Frankly it doesnt matter. No price was too big to prevent nuclear war.

The Soviets did not want it as much as we did not want it.

Kennedy,,,,being as drugged up as he was when he met Kruschec may have helped cause the cuban missle crisis.

Kennedy....by screwing around with the Bay of Pigs and Operation Mongoose may have helped cause the cuban missle crisis.

Kennedy by appearing weak in Berlin, may have helped cause the crisis.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have spent more time studying this man than I care to say. I admire him for getting the situation resolved, however, he was partially responsible for bringing us to that point.

Kennedy has NOTHING to do with the topic of Reagan being on dimes.

I know, I know... it's a real bitch when Elvis get's involved in a thread in FYM. Deal with it and stay on topic ;)

diamond said:
kennedy was no reagan:angry:

Yeah, Kennedy wouldn't have repressed AIDS research for a decade.
I can't believe some of the same people who champion Bono's crusade for Africans AIDS relief, defend Reagan. It's absurd.

Reagan should be on the 3 trillion dollar bill, to better represent the deficit he created with his reckless military spending.
If I am correct, REAL Republicans believe in a balanced budget. Reagan was just the beginning of the Religious Right Forced Morality Republicans.

Skwege said:
Reagan should be on the 3 trillion dollar bill, to better represent the deficit he created with his reckless military spending.
If I am correct, REAL Republicans believe in a balanced budget. Reagan was just the beginning of the Religious Right Forced Morality Republicans.

LOL!

:applaud:

for the lesser informed...

Gorby Admits: Reagan Flushed the Soviet Union

The History Channel special "Reagan: A Legacy Remembered" featured some fantastic interviews and analysis on the greatest president of my lifetime, Ronald Wilson Reagan.

I rolled you a few clips from the show on Tuesday's program.

It featured Mikhail Sergeyevich Gorbachev admitting what we've said all along: that without Reagan, the march of freedom wouldn't have liberated the Russian people.

The Russians chose the left's favorite dictator to run the USSR because Reagan scared the borscht out of them.

They thought he was some dangerous cowboy who had his finger on the button and was just waiting for someone to say, "Draw!"

Gorbasms, by the way, are mostly experienced by liberals -- which are always fake.

The man with the birthmark shaped like a map of the US also described his first meeting with Mr. Reagan.

The Soviet kabal chose the personable Gorby in hopes that he'd placate Reagan.

In the process of doing so, Gorbachev made the fatal mistake of trying to trickle freedom to the people.

As Gorby said: "If at that time someone else had been in his place, I don't know whether what happened would have happened."

I also rolled you a pair of clips from former Congressman Dan "Rosty" Rostenkowski.

He told a story of talking tax cuts with the president, and of Reagan saying that he was paying a top marginal tax rate of 91% when he was in Hollywood.

The top marginal rate was 72% in 1981, having been reduced by JFK.

In Post-Reagan 1989, it was 28%, and revenues had boomed.

Rosty laughed at Reagan's tax bracket remark.

When Reagan asked what about, the congressman said, "I didn't think you were that good an actor."

Reagan's reaction was a far cry from today's thin-skinned politicians.

In Rosty's words, he "laughed like hell."

Rosty also admits, "We were all jealous of him, and I fought Ronald Reagan in his first year and a half of office, and I got slaughtered, because he was so popular..."

:wink::up:

rwrspfl.gif

In November 1985, Reagan and newly instated Gorbachev met at a conference in Geneva to talk about nuclear weapon control. The communication between these two men would continue for four years. Ironically the meeting that accomplished the most was thrown together at the last minute. In Iceland 1987, The two world leaders came together for an informal peace talk that put stringent restrictions on nuclear weapons. The talks increased and accomplished more and more. It not only helped Americans relax about nuclear weapons; it was an example that communication in what ever form led to something. Reagan and Gorbachev did not agree all the time. Their specific details were always different but the primary goal was the same: to have the countries in a open conversation with each other, able to help out and learn from each country. Unification was never the goal but the realization that an iron curtain hurts both sides and helps neither led to the breakthrough of communication that led the world to breath easier. One year after the last talk the Berlin wall fell and Germany united.

:up:

Last edited:
Elvis said:
Kennedy has NOTHING to do with the topic of Reagan being on dimes.

I know, I know... it's a real bitch when Elvis get's involved in a thread in FYM. Deal with it and stay on topic ;)

Hey I hit you with a snow ball!

Diamond,
Why don't you try to come up with a defense in your own words, instead of just cutting and pasting someone elses article?

diamond said:
rwrspfl.gif

In November 1985, Reagan and newly instated Gorbachev met at a conference in Geneva to talk about nuclear weapon control. The communication between these two men would continue for four years. Ironically the meeting that accomplished the most was thrown together at the last minute. In Iceland 1987, The two world leaders came together for an informal peace talk that put stringent restrictions on nuclear weapons. The talks increased and accomplished more and more. It not only helped Americans relax about nuclear weapons; it was an example that communication in what ever form led to something. Reagan and Gorbachev did not agree all the time. Their specific details were always different but the primary goal was the same: to have the countries in a open conversation with each other, able to help out and learn from each country. Unification was never the goal but the realization that an iron curtain hurts both sides and helps neither led to the breakthrough of communication that led the world to breath easier. One year after the last talk the Berlin wall fell and Germany united.

:up:

yeah, let's push the man who pulled us out of the great depression of the dime and put reagan on it :|. I can't believe i'm actually agreeing with nancy on something, well i guess there's a first for everything.

Nancy Reagan is a hypocrite anyways. She secretly campaigns for stem cell research(Which could help in finding a cure for Alzheimers) while still defending the GOP's position on the issue.

Sure, The Soviets collapsed. However lets not ignore The Gipper selling weapons to Iraq to kill Iranians, then secretly selling weapons to Iran to kill Iraqis. Or how about those Nicaraguan rebels? Noriega anyone? Let's not forget how Reagan tripled a deficit, or completely ignored the rising AIDS crisis. Let's not forget the high unemployment, and the decimated mental health system. Let us also not forget under Reagan how the CIA trained and provided weaponry to a certain Saudi with the initials OBL.
Thats the Reagan I remember.

Actually, the CIA never supplied OBL with weapons to fight the Soviets. While weapons were given to native Afghani fighters, they were not given to those who came to fight from the countries around the Gulf as those were considered the more militant Muslims (and were not even natives of the land). Bin Laden himself in the arly 90s denied that he ever received aid from the U.S. Besides, his hatred of the United States fro support of Israel is probably much too strong for him to ever compromise.

diamond said:
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home
:dance:

In a book published by an aide in 1996, Nixon is quoted as saying that Reagan's economic policies were unduly harsh and cautioned against giving him too much credit for winning the Cold War. "Communism would have collapsed anyway," he told Monica Crowley, a Nixon aide in his last years, according to her book, "Nixon Off the Record."

Nixon had a better grasp of world politics than Rush Limbaugh ever will. (with or without his hillbilly heroin)

Skwege said:
Sure, The Soviets collapsed. However lets not ignore The Gipper selling weapons to Iraq

Please provide a detailed list of weapons that the United States sold Iraq.

I can save you time. There is none.

Elvis said:

You're right, we gave them to Iraq.

That would be incorrect as well. The United States did not supply Iraq with weapons.

Dreadsox said:

Please provide a detailed list of weapons that the United States sold Iraq.

I can save you time. There is none.

There are NONE...:wink: Before the grammar police catch me...LOL Seriously....To type or not to type....that is the question. I want my brain back and functioning.

I came back to type this....

I have a good friend who used to worship Mr. Reagan. He lived in Russia from 1999-2000. He is a chemical engineer, and was there trying to help a company produce steel. He has the same perspective as Mr. Nixon. He said that things are still so screwed up over there that it is going to take a long long time to recover. For example, in the steel plant he wanted to get a record of something and the secretary pulled out a ledger of paper written in pencil. These are engineers. He said they still employ people in these plants and he does not know what they do. His understanding is that before the fall of communism, the stores had no products, but people had money. Now, the stores have plenty of products, but no one has enough to buy the products.

Needless to say, my buddy now believes they were heading for the fall even without President Reagan. However, his policies may have sped things up a bit.

Dreadsox said:

That would be incorrect as well. The United States did not supply Iraq with weapons.

I'd urge you to dig deeper into the books.... the US and Saddam go WAY back.

The US also supplied Afghanistan with many weapons in the past.

Dread,

Your friend is wrong that there were products on Soviet shelves before.

He may be referring to the period in the mid-late 80s when stores started being more stocked. But before that, it was bare - no money and no products.

My mother went to the USSR in the early 70s, she still remembers as being there with lots of money (relative to them) and was unable to find a place in Moscow where she could get sliced deli meats for sandwiches.

anitram said:
Dread,

Your friend is wrong that there were products on Soviet shelves before.

He may be referring to the period in the mid-late 80s when stores started being more stocked. But before that, it was bare - no money and no products.

My mother went to the USSR in the early 70s, she still remembers as being there with lots of money (relative to them) and was unable to find a place in Moscow where she could get sliced deli meats for sandwiches.

That may be it....I am not sure.....I can only relate our phone conversation today. Thought is was pertinent.

Elvis said:

I'd urge you to dig deeper into the books.... the US and Saddam go WAY back.

The US also supplied Afghanistan with many weapons in the past.

Elvis, having been a member of this forum for over a year, and engaged in many a debate on this topic, and read quite a few books on this topic, I am willing to free my mind.

In all of my research I have found NO WEAPONS sold or given to Iraq during the Reagan administration. Sting and I have repeatedly asked for anyone who is able to point us in the right direction. If you can, please give me the book or link to information that details the weapons systems that were provided by the United States.

I am well aware that the US did under Reagan, relax some of the trade requirements that allowed dual use technology to be sold to Iraq by US corporations. I am also aware that NATO allies, played an increasing role in attempting to cozy up to Iraq when Iran stopped being one of the main pillars of resistance against communism in the 1970's against the Cold War. So the shift in US policy along with its allies in the 1980's was of necessity due in part to the loss of an ally in the region.

However, in all of my research and reading on the area, including the book written by Kenneth Pollack, Iraq's weapons were not made in the good old USA nor were they supplied by the USA.

But, I have a vacation coming up, please point me to the books that have the weapons information or the websites that are not written by some extremist organization. Thanks.

Matt

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:

Elvis, having been a member of this forum for over a year, and engaged in many a debate on this topic, and read quite a few books on this topic, I am willing to free my mind.

In all of my research I have found NO WEAPONS sold or given to Iraq during the Reagan administration. Sting and I have repeatedly asked for anyone who is able to point us in the right direction. If you can, please give me the book or link to information that details the weapons systems that were provided by the United States.

I am well aware that the US did under Reagan, relax some of the trade requirements that allowed dual use technology to be sold to Iraq by US corporations. I am also aware that NATO allies, played an increasing role in attempting to cozy up to Iraq when Iran stopped being one of the main pillars of resistance against communism in the 1970's against the Cold War. So the shift in US policy along with its allies in the 1980's was of necessity due in part to the loss of an ally in the region.

However, in all of my research and reading on the area, including the book written by Kenneth Pollack, Iraq's weapons were not made in the good old USA nor were they supplied by the USA.

But, I have a vacation coming up, please point me to the books that have the weapons information or the websites that are not written by some extremist organization. Thanks.

Matt
Joel Tanner cannot and will not ever hold a candle to the intellect of Dreadsox or Sting.

Diamondbruno9

diamond said:

Joel Tanner cannot and will not ever hold a candle to the intellect of Dreadsox or Sting.

Diamondbruno9

$10 says he spells better than me and has better grandmar!:wink:

{BOSTON ACCENT} He was SMAAAAT enough to creat this place!

Mr. Diamondbruno.....What does Rush Limbaugh and Dreadsox have in common?

They are both addicted to painkillers and it has warped their political ideology.

That is my liberal wife's little joke.:mad:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom