Nagin calls for rebuilding 'chocolate' New Orleans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melon said:

Do you really think a bunch of multimillionaire developers are going to be discouraged by meaningless rhetoric? Where there's money to be made, nothing will stand in their way. And a bunch of powerless, poor black people are the last thing going to stand in their way.

This is rhetoric of despair and desperation, and, for that reason, I feel sorry for these people. They have no means to affect change, and all the "milky" vultures here cackle around to pick at their figurative corpses.

Rest assured, white people have had (and continue to have) nothing to worry about. America continues to be in their iron grip. And, really, if you really need to be constantly afraid of something (as is tradition for white Americans all the way back to the original settlers), try being afraid of someone who can actually bite back.

(And, of course, I'm not referring to you specifically.)

Melon

This is the mayor of the city talking, not a (black) bum on the street, and the mayor of a city does not need to be saying something divisive and racist like that. You do realize that not all white people are super rich or personally responsible for the ills of African-Americans or hateful toward and afraid of black people, right? Trust me, I know blacks have been disadvantaged historically (to put it lightly) and that predjudice hasn't disappeared...but everytime a black person says something idiotic (particularly a politician whose not exactly on the streets), people will say it's fine because the White Man's completely responsible for oppressing him to that point, and I think it's bullshit.

VertigoGal said:
This is the mayor of the city talking, not a (black) bum on the street, and the mayor of a city does not need to be saying something divisive and racist like that. You do realize that not all white people are super rich or personally responsible for the ills of African-Americans or hateful toward and afraid of black people, right? Trust me, I know blacks have been disadvantaged historically (to put it lightly) and that predjudice hasn't disappeared...but everytime a black person says something idiotic (particularly a politician whose not exactly on the streets), people will say it's fine because the White Man's completely responsible for oppressing him to that point, and I think it's bullshit.

It's not about wealth at all. But let's face it: when "white society" wants something, it generally gets it. Minorities are told to "wait," and if they get too persistent, then they're told that their wants/needs will get a "backlash." But that's not the case for whites. Their wants and needs get put on the fast track.

That was my point. Nagin's idiotic comments will amount to nothing. Potential investors/rebuilders won't even give his comments the time of day. He might as well have said absolutely nothing at all. But when some asinine organization of white Christians gets a bug up its ass, the rest of America deals with the aftermath.

I guess I reserve my outrage to those groups whose asinine comments actually affect me, rather than just being outraged for the sake of it.

If white society can show me how Nagin's comments are going to affect your day-to-day life, your civil rights, or the comfort of your lifestyle, I'm all ears.

Melon

Nice try. :wink:

If we only discussed idiotic comments on this board that will personally affect the majority of us, we'd have nothing to talk about. Hell, when the President says something idiotic (as opposed to does), most of the time that won't affect my daily life.

I don't want to turn this into a Pat Robertson thread, but I think's whether or not a certain crazy person's comments have any effect on our lives is often a matter of perception. :shifty:

VertigoGal said:
Nice try. :wink:

If we only discussed idiotic comments on this board that will personally affect the majority of us, we'd have nothing to talk about. Hell, when the President says something idiotic (as opposed to does), most of the time that won't affect my daily life.

I don't want to turn this into a Pat Robertson thread, but I think's whether or not a certain crazy person's comments have any effect on our lives is often a matter of perception. :shifty:

When both of those idiots have active support for "Defense of Marriage Acts" and oppose any and all forms of gay rights, my life is affected. I wish I had the luxury of distance like pretty much everyone else has here.

So, really, I tend to empathize with angry minority rants, because I often know where they're coming from.

Melon

If Ray Nagin's rhetorical style were unfailingly gracious, articulate, and scrupulously PC, would black New Orleans really get rebuilt any faster?

(Yes, I know it sure won't get rebuilt faster if he's divisive, inarticulate and imprudent...that's not my point.)

HUD chief foresees a 'whiter' Big Easy
By Brian DeBose
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
September 30, 2005

A Bush Cabinet officer predicted this week that New Orleans likely will never again be a majority black city, and several black officials are outraged.
Alphonso R. Jackson, secretary of housing and urban development, during a visit with hurricane victims in Houston, said New Orleans would not reach its pre-Katrina population of "500,000 people for a long time," and "it's not going to be as black as it was for a long time, if ever again."
Rep. Danny K. Davis, Illinois Democrat and a member of the Congressional Black Caucus, quickly took issue.
"Anybody who can make that kind of projection with some degree of certainty or accuracy must have a crystal ball that I can't see or maybe they are more prophetic than any of us can imagine," he said.
Other members of the caucus said the comments by Mr. Jackson, who is black, could be misconstrued as a goal, particularly considering his position of responsibility in the administration.
"I would beg and hope that the secretary, if that is what he is saying, would re-evaluate the situation," said Elijah E. Cummings, Maryland Democrat

After consulting with my friend Calluna, we have deciphered Nagin's comments as a literal translation of Roald Dahl's novel 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'.

You see, Nagin really literally wants to build a chocolate New Orleans. It's going to melt something awful come the summer!

It was only a matter of time......

6419115.jpg

Kieran McConville said:
After consulting with my friend Calluna, we have deciphered Nagin's comments as a literal translation of Roald Dahl's novel 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'.

You see, Nagin really literally wants to build a chocolate New Orleans. It's going to melt something awful come the summer!

at least

he had a vision

they all laughed at LegoLand, too.

but, alas

ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS CALLS CHOCOLATE CITY UNFEASIBLE

Days after the mayor of New Orleans, Ray Nagin, predicted that New Orleans would soon be a "chocolate city" again, the Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) poured cold water on those plans, arguing that building a city out of chocolate was "unfeasible."

Harland DeBellis, a spokesperson for the USACE, said that the agency had given plans for a city constructed entirely out of chocolate the thumbs down only after engineers painstakingly built a scale model of New Orleans out of Hershey’s bars and found the results "problematic."

"If the existing levees in New Orleans were breached by the flood waters of Katrina, imagine how much worse they would have been if they had been made out of chocolate," Mr. DeBellis said at a press briefing in Washington today. "Chocolate is simply not a suitable building material."

Mr. DeBellis said that as vulnerable as a chocolate city would be in the event of a hurricane, it would be even more endangered during the hot summer months, when temperatures in New Orleans routinely climb into the 90s.

"A chocolate city would be in constant danger of melting, and then when the temperatures drop, that gooey chocolate mess would harden and be impossible to clean up," he said.

In conclusion, the USACE spokesperson added that given the revelry associated with New Orleans' Mardi Gras, "The last thing you want is a city that a bunch of hungry drunks are going to eat."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11060175/

"PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The city of New Orleans could lose up to 80 percent of its black population if people displaced by Hurricane Katrina are not able to return to damaged neighborhoods, according to an ongoing university study.

“This means that policy choices affecting who can return, to which neighborhoods, and with what forms of public and private assistance, will greatly affect the future character of the city,” according to the Brown University study, which is being funded by the National Science Foundation.

The lead researcher, sociology professor John Logan, determined that if the city’s returning population was limited to neighborhoods undamaged by Katrina, half of the white population would not return and 80 percent of the black population would not return."

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Here's a question, and I'll just throw it out there.

When you live in a country that looks like this:

http://www.censusscope.org/us/map_nhblack.html

Is it OK to want and surround yourself with a certain culture in order not to have it die out? When you are still very much misrepresented, statistically not given the same chances, and very much oppressed in certain ways in your country is it so wrong to want and create communities steeped in your own culture?

Is it racism or preservation, or something else?

its something else

if your wondering what it is
i dont know

im glad he specified what color the milk would be or i would have been lost...........in a milk chocolate oblivion

but i have other questions :

what if the milk were brown and the chocolate white?

is it sexual chocolate?

i 7ust don't understand why people like nagin have to talk the way they do....

maybe he just wants to make it clear how much he cares about his city and his people
by speaking in a way that shows that his heart pumps big love and respect and brother/sister hood for some pople who feel as if they got overlooked

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom