Nagin calls for rebuilding 'chocolate' New Orleans - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2006, 12:20 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

http://www.censusscope.org/us/map_nhblack.html

wow. I live in a place with a higher % of non-white (well, not HIGH, but higher than 80% of the rest of the country), but then I looked at one of the other maps, and it also has a big dot on my area that says it's in the highest group of racial segregation.

Those visuals are very helpful and eye-opening. We have a long way to go....

Old 01-18-2006, 12:26 AM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

but what if my conservative town's mayor said something like "we're going to make this a heterosexual haven again" after a hypothetical tornado ripped it apart?

Well if it was one of the few cities left steeped in heterosexual culture and history then they may have a point...

I don't know.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:27 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

believe me, you have no idea how right wing my area is.

NO IDEA.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:46 AM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
believe me, you have no idea how right wing my area is.

NO IDEA.
Believe me I'm from TX, I think I may have an idea...
Old 01-18-2006, 01:00 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

well in that case, you probably do.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:14 AM   #21
The Fly

Local Time: 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

And a bunch of powerless, poor black people are the last thing going to stand in their way.
I've lived in New Orleans, I've lived in Dallas. New Orleans was a giant asshole of city to live in from day to day. A horrid place. And Dallas, Murder-City USA, ain't the shining mark in the US. But Jesus, I'd give a nut never to have to live in NO again. Do you even realise how many people from NO that were moved/forced into Texas, and now LOVE Texas because it is so much better than living in NO? I'm not a rich person and have encountered dozens of people from NO that love Texas and never want to leave now.

New Orleans wasn't great at all. A terrible city.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:37 AM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by theblazer

I've lived in New Orleans, I've lived in Dallas. New Orleans was a giant asshole of city to live in from day to day. A horrid place. And Dallas, Murder-City USA, ain't the shining mark in the US. But Jesus, I'd give a nut never to have to live in NO again. Do you even realise how many people from NO that were moved/forced into Texas, and now LOVE Texas because it is so much better than living in NO? I'm not a rich person and have encountered dozens of people from NO that love Texas and never want to leave now.

First of all Dallas is not the "murder-city usa", far from it. Depending on what source you look at, DC is the highest and at least a dozen rank higher than Dallas(like I said depends on source, but none rank Dallas as the highest).

Secondly, I have family and many friends who love NO. They all admit there were some horrible aspects of the city, but they all were privelaged enough to decide whether to move back or not. They all decided to move back.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:46 AM   #23
The Fly

Local Time: 05:09 AM
Quote:

First of all Dallas is not the "murder-city usa", far from it.

hahha, you have no god damn idea what you're talking about. "Far from it?" Yeah, not even close. Violent Crimes and Dallas are hand in hand.

Quote:
Secondly, I have family and many friends who love NO. They all admit there were some horrible aspects of the city, but they all were privelaged enough to decide whether to move back or not. They all decided to move back.
Wow, I have many family and friends that would rather die then go back to NO. Of course, those I know aren't "privelaged" so I guess the people you talk about weren't part of Nagin's "Chocolate" NO.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:59 AM   #24
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

hahha, you have no god damn idea what you're talking about. "Far from it?" Yeah, not even close. Violent Crimes and Dallas are hand in hand.
Well let's see I lived their for 6 years of my life and I have statistics on my side.

The highest of all polls I've seen is number 11(that wasn't per capita). That's far from "murder-city usa".

But yeah I have no idea what I'm talking about, right?
Old 01-18-2006, 02:00 AM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Of course, those I know aren't "privelaged" so I guess the people you talk about weren't part of Nagin's "Chocolate" NO.
That's not what I said, but keep on trolling, OK
Old 01-18-2006, 02:10 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Well let's see I lived their for 6 years of my life and I have statistics on my side.

The highest of all polls I've seen is number 11(that wasn't per capita). That's far from "murder-city usa".

But yeah I have no idea what I'm talking about, right?
11 murders? There were 248 in 2004, almost 4 times the national average per capita. NO had 268, but adjusted for population, that was 10 times the national average per capita. That's worse than Wash. DC, LA, Detroit, St Louis, Gary IN, New York, Chicago...(but not Camden, NJ)

Never been to either city so I don't feel one way or the other, but that's just what the data says.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:22 AM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

11 murders?
Number 11, not 11 murders.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:51 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

I've lived relatively close to Detroit nearly all of my life, and New Orleans and Detroit vacillated between being the poorest cities in America. At least New Orleans has the French Quarter; Detroit has nothing at all.

But that's besides the point. I will not doubt that New Orleans was a hole, and it's a pity that the American attitude towards urban renewal is to wait to rebuild after a natural disaster. Beyond that, we will leave a city rot for eternity (and such will be the fate of Detroit, since no large-scale natural disasters will ever affect this city).

However, having also lived in a city with heavy urban renewal, Boston, I know, first-hand, its double-edged sword. As rebuilding projects happen, property values skyrocket, property taxes go up, and poorer people lose out. Now it's different if they own their own homes, granted, because then they can cash in on the higher property values. However, poor people tend to rent (as was the case with Boston), so with higher monthly rent, the poor people get pushed out.

Now for these people who feel as if New Orleans is their home, they have very reasonable fears to believe that there is going to be no place for them in a rebuilding of the city. But if they are to have any consolation, considering the incompetance and short-sightedness of the Bush Administration, they'll likely be too cheap to build the levees to sufficient standards (as seems to already be the case) and New Orleans will be destroyed again.

Melon
Old 01-18-2006, 08:56 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
i understand what you're saying, but double standards help noone.

it's no secret black people have historically gotten the short end of the stick from whites in america (to put it VERY mildly), but what if my conservative town's mayor said something like "we're going to make this a heterosexual haven again" after a hypothetical tornado ripped it apart?

that wouldn't be right at all. without sounding too simple, people are people - whatever their race/religion/sexual orientation, etc.

i 7ust don't understand why people like nagin have to talk the way they do.
I tend to get angrier when white people spout bigotry, mainly because they have the power to enshrine their bigotry into law. And, considering all these "Defense of Marriage Acts," they certainly do have that power. In this situation, however, they don't have the power or the means to hurt white people. So I guess that's why I tend to pity these people more than I'm disgusted by their rhetoric.

Melon
Old 01-18-2006, 09:17 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:09 PM
Quote:

Well if it was one of the few cities left steeped in heterosexual culture and history then they may have a point...

I don't know.
I think it would be a stretch to validate the idea in any respect.