N.Y. to Open 1st Public Gay High School - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2003, 04:25 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:46 PM
N.Y. to Open 1st Public Gay High School

Quote:
NEW YORK - New York City is creating the nation's first public high school for gays, bisexuals and transgender students.
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...ws/6402799.htm

I am sorry, but isn't this the same as segregation? Separate but equal?

I am not saying there are not problems that need to be adressed, but tell me this is not the answer!

Old 07-28-2003, 06:53 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

No, it isn't the answer. on so many levels. I thought things were moving towards more understanding and diversity. I thought groups who felt alienated, wanted to be included instead of set off to themselves. I guess I am naive to be hopeful that this generation could be taught to understand. I have to admit I haven't been through what alot of groups have had to endure, so I can't say what I would truly feel if I were anything other than a single,white, female, lower income - based than the national standard- coming up on being classified as a "senior" because I'm 45 year old person. Just the fact I am single, put's me in a tax bracket different from others. I don't get any tax breaks.
Forgive me, I digress. Let me know if you hear of a school that will help me continue my education - at a time I can attend, and will also cover some expenses from my 20 something year old son. Keep in mind I am a senior citizen. (but, I Rock )

Old 07-28-2003, 09:56 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 06:46 PM
Re: N.Y. to Open 1st Public Gay High School

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I am sorry, but isn't this the same as segregation? Separate but equal?
Pretty much, yeah.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I am not saying there are not problems that need to be adressed, but tell me this is not the answer!
It shouldn't be.

Instead of having homosexual kids go to a separate school, why don't we have the kids who are doing the teasing and treating the homosexual kids like dirt be punished? Why don't we alert their parents about their behavior towards the homosexual kids and have the parents teach their children some manners and respect?

The homosexual kids shouldn't have to have their own school just because some kids at the school they go to now have a problem with it.

Angela
Old 07-28-2003, 10:03 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

And while we're at it, let's teach the kids to leave other "unpopular" kids alone, also. I'm talking about short kids, fat kids, kids who don't have nice clothes, disabled kids, mentally slow kids.

When I was in elementary and junior high school, I was teased mercilessly for being short.

And the thing I hate more than anything is to hear kids use "retard" as an insult. But what's worse than when kids say it is when adults say it.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:07 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
And while we're at it, let's teach the kids to leave other "unpopular" kids alone, also. I'm talking about short kids, fat kids, kids who don't have nice clothes, disabled kids, mentally slow kids.

When I was in elementary and junior high school, I was teased mercilessly for being short.

And the thing I hate more than anything is to hear kids use "retard" as an insult. But what's worse than when kids say it is when adults say it.
I was saying to my wife after I read this....that we instead of dealing with issues as a society....create these solutions that do not really address the problem.

Your point above is a perfect example. I think of every band kid that has ever been harassed unmercifully for being in the band. There are plenty of examples that I can think of. That said though, one can put down the instrument and walk away from it and the harrasment stops. One cannot walk away from being who they are. I guess putting down the instrument and starting this school are the same in my eyes.

Good points 80's.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:26 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:46 AM
Yeah, it's divisive. I don't like it. With some kinds of learning disorders and such they have to have special ed teachers and other specialized things so it doesn't compare. This "gay school" thing is politics. Bad politics.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:36 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Very true. I posted before I read this note dammit.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:47 PM   #8
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:46 PM
Just a note: if this functions anything like the Harvey Milk School in San Francisco, it's not that all gay students *have* to attend this high school. They can if they want, but they don't have to.

I wanted to clarify that so it doesn't seem like institutionalized segregation.

Carry on.

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:49 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
Just a note: if this functions anything like the Harvey Milk School in San Francisco, it's not that all gay students *have* to attend this high school. They can if they want, but they don't have to.

I wanted to clarify that so it doesn't seem like institutionalized segregation.

Carry on.
Can straight students go there if they so choose?
Old 07-28-2003, 10:57 PM   #10
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:46 PM
I don't know.

I'm not coming down on either side of the issue. Just clarifying.

hiya Dread

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:01 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
I don't know.

I'm not coming down on either side of the issue. Just clarifying.

hiya Dread
Old 07-28-2003, 11:28 PM   #12
War Child

Re: Re: N.Y. to Open 1st Public Gay High School

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

Instead of having homosexual kids go to a separate school, why don't we have the kids who are doing the teasing and treating the homosexual kids like dirt be punished? Why don't we alert their parents about their behavior towards the homosexual kids and have the parents teach their children some manners and respect?

Angela
Because there is no accountability in this society. Not only should the kids causing the trouble be repremanded, but their parents should be held accountable for their children as well.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:46 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:46 PM
Re: Re: N.Y. to Open 1st Public Gay High School

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

Angela
Their parents probably have similiar attitudes.
Most prejudice is learned at an early age.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:23 AM   #14
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 01:46 AM
When i first read the subject i thought there is a school where you can learn to become gay

Anyway, back to the topic, i don't think it is good to open a school were you are only allowed to attend with a certain sexual orientation. Also i understand the problems seperation is no solution to me.
Should we open schools for colored people again in areas where they are discriminated in regular schools or should we try to stop any discrimination?
I'm for the later

Klaus
Old 07-29-2003, 06:42 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

I don't think this is segregation, if gay students can choose to go there or not. The fact of the matter is that this wouldn't even be an issue, if the proper authorities had actually done their job over the decades and put a firm stand against homophobia. On the contrary, many school districts encourage it and some states even have laws that prohibit homosexuality to be mentioned in any light, except for negative comments about it.

Straight society, frankly, has failed these kids time and time again, and I hate having to watch yet another generation of gay youth come out disillusioned and broken, because of the crap that they have to endure just to be who they are. I agree that this isn't the answer, necessarily, but I don't think American society really even cares to solve it, considering the federal "Defense of Marriage" amendment proposal floating around their homophobic little skulls.

Melon