N.Y. to Open 1st Public Gay High School

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dreadsox, if everyone believed like you on this issue, I think the world would probably me a much happier place to me...lol. However, it honestly sickens me how obsessed the straight world is with gay people. I saw through the newspaper stands today. I think a gay issue was on the front page of every last one of them, and none of them were particularly positive. Reading that your (former) religion is actively pushing for your marginalization is not something that makes you that cheery in the morning. I look forward to the day where equality can really exist, and, if it ever happens in my lifetime, I will probably weep out of happiness. I fear that, even with the supposed gains of the present, that none of this is permanent; and, yes, I am even making contingency plans to move to Canada, if things really go sour here. It's possible. You never know when politicians will be ready to sell you out for a vote, and the prospect of such an exile is very much real to me.

But you know what? People are never happy. You know, they viciously hate gay people, but then bitch when they get their own school. What the hell do these people want, for God's sake?

Melon

I was never lumping them together! I was just saying that this school exists *because* we, as a society, *refuse* to do anything to stop these hateful people.

Melon

I thought you were responding to the objection of the school from those in this forum. Its all good.
The problem lies solely in the fact that there is a possible need for this in the first place. Society, teachers, parents. Doesn't matter where it starts, as long as it starts somewhere.

Dreadsox said:

Interesting point....I wonder....however do you think that the leaders of the Civil Rights movement wanted it to be gradual?

No. I just think it's one of those double edge swords. The problem stemed from something so long ago that the root is so hardly visible now, but we're suppose to fix it right here right now. The pursuit of equality is always going to be a difficult one, one where we almost feel like we have to take a step backwards sometimes to go forward. It will be like this as long as we have people living with their heads up their ass. I think it will be a long time.

melon said:
I fear that, even with the supposed gains of the present, that none of this is permanent; and, yes, I am even making contingency plans to move to Canada, if things really go sour here.

Ah, you know the minute I say this, the next day it seems even more real. Anyone happen to hear Dubya's press conference comments today? You can't call it a "media distortion" either; I was listening to it live on the radio.

"I am mindful that we're all sinners and I caution those who may try to take a speck out of the neighbor's eye when they got a log in their own," he said. "I think it is important for our society to respect each individual, to welcome those with good hearts."

"On the other hand, that does not mean that someone like me needs to compromise on the issue of marriage," he added. "I believe marriage is between a man and a woman and I believe we ought to codify that one way or the other and we have lawyers looking at the best way to do that," the president said.

I guess, honestly, I've had it. I'm probably more "moral" than 90% of this fucking nation, and, by default, I'm considered utter scum of the earth. If this amendment passes, I sincerely believe that this nation's "ideals" of life, liberty, and happiness will be nothing but an utter sham. America, at that point, will be no different from Iran, in my eyes: a hysterical nation controlled by religious fanatics with WMDs.

And then you can see why some people thought that a gay high school was necessary.

Melon

Now i know why Mr. Bush had these problems with germany:

brandenburger-tor_200.jpg

This guy (bush) sounds like he is afraid that after homosexuals are allowed to mary every hetrosexual has to mary a homosexual partner :huh:
I'm happy that Berlin people were liberal enough to vote for Mr. Wowereit and didn't care about his sexual orientation.

Klaus

melon said:
Ah, you know the minute I say this, the next day it seems even more real. Anyone happen to hear Dubya's press conference comments today? You can't call it a "media distortion" either; I was listening to it live on the radio.

"I am mindful that we're all sinners and I caution those who may try to take a speck out of the neighbor's eye when they got a log in their own," he said. "I think it is important for our society to respect each individual, to welcome those with good hearts."

"On the other hand, that does not mean that someone like me needs to compromise on the issue of marriage," he added. "I believe marriage is between a man and a woman and I believe we ought to codify that one way or the other and we have lawyers looking at the best way to do that," the president said.

I guess, honestly, I've had it. I'm probably more "moral" than 90% of this fucking nation, and, by default, I'm considered utter scum of the earth. If this amendment passes, I sincerely believe that this nation's "ideals" of life, liberty, and happiness will be nothing but an utter sham. America, at that point, will be no different from Iran, in my eyes: a hysterical nation controlled by religious fanatics with WMDs.

Sad, but true.

As for Bush...he never fails to irritate me more and more.

Angela

I have to agree, some numb-nut ignoramus from Texas believes marriage should only be between men and women and he wants to codify that, the same day the Vatican pretty much calls homosexual supporters in government sinners?

I cannot stand this man anymore. It is looking more like a dictatorship (with the man behind the curtain, as I believe GWB cannot comprise an original thought (or sentence) himself) and if his 'edicts' (codify etc.) actually become law it is a damn shame.

Smaller countries revolt over shit like this.

Anyway - back to the subject.

This "Gay-only" high school is going to be across the street from my apartment building. That has no bearing on what I am about to say, but just thought I would throw it out there.

I am for almost all the things the Gay, Lesbian, Transgender society is fighting for, I do my best to help out and support them where I can.

I have to say, though, that this high school is an absolutely ridiculous idea. Not only do I find it ridiculous, I find it harmful to their cause.

I base this on the mere fact that it is going to be publicly funded and I have to say I agree with a lot of what Dread has said here.

I think that school may be an interesting idea, but if it were to exist at all, it would have to be a private school. I know a lot of New Yorkers feel the same was as me and that is because it will be our tax money that is going to fund this school, and I do not believe in it.

There are so many private schools in New York, that it is hard to imagine this would have any trouble establishing itself. If you live in New York, it is not only hard to find a good public school, but it is very hard to get into a private school. Those who do choose to go to private school only try to get into where they think thay would fit in. A Catholic school, a predominately Jewish school, a Society school, a Science school. Why not a Gay school? Why should this be public? Why should I have to pay for it?

Now on the thoughts of segregation:

When you segregate yourself by choice, you do more harm than good. To talk about race, what if New York decided to publicly fund black (or white) only high schools? What about Korean or French only high schools? That would be wrong right? You would only have those groups of people associating with themselves. I believe the same will happen at this school. If you spend your days only with those of your sexual orientation, you will be more close minded than if you were mixed with others, the same goes for race, gender, etc.

I do understand the argument that by going to this school the students would be alieviated from homophobia, however that should not be a concern for all the tax payers. The schools that exist today should deal with this problem and if they cannot, a private school that can should be established.

If these students are having a problem in the public or private school they are going to now, they should have to pay to attend a school designed specifically for their problem.

Many children with other issues do not have the ability to attend public schools that specifically cater to their needs.

I know I did not.

:down:

So, are you saying that people who believe marriages should be between a man and a woman are "numb-nut ignoramuses"?

80sU2isBest said:
So, are you saying that people who believe marriages should be between a man and a woman are "numb-nut ignoramuses"?

I think he was saying that Bush fulfills that category, in his opinion, and that this latest "edict" is just more fuel for the fire. I could be wrong tho.

How this all looks to me is that the school is meant to be a place where people can learn in an open-minded environment. Learning can be quite difficult when the moment you arrive at school till the moment you leave is a horrible experience.

It almost reminds me of that school U2 went to. A school that was for every type of people.

RavenStar said:

It almost reminds me of that school U2 went to. A school that was for every type of people.

youre right. it sounds like theyll try fostering a unique environment conducive to better learning.

but it isnt for ever type of people if its only for one type of people.

80sU2isBest said:

No.

I believe our President is a numb-nut ignoramus, and I believe those that believe marriage should be between a man and a woman are the majority, if you were to stick the word "only" between the words "should" and "be" I think you are out-dated.

In any event this thread is not about gay marriage, it is about a gay high-school, a novel idea, but one that does not belong in the public realm.

If so, I would consider seeking public funding for a high school that was based on the things that I was made fun of during my adolescent years.

I still think it is wrong.

I agree to that writer:

The Harvey Milk High School

NYTimes - Opinion

No one could argue with the good intentions behind New York City's plan to establish a public high school for gay and transgender students. The idea was to provide a safe environment for study for gay teenagers who face verbal and sometimes physical harassment in regular school settings. Some have the added problem of being ostracized and cast out by family in cultures that do not accept homosexuality. We support the school system's basic aim, and we obviously deplore the homophobic response that creation of the school has unleashed in some quarters. Still, we cannot condone the concept of establishing a special school specifically for students based on their sexual orientation.

The Harvey Milk High School ? named after a slain gay city official from San Francisco ? is an outgrowth of a longstanding program for gay students. Many of those who have gone through the program were from low-income minority families. Some were former dropouts. The program was successful, with about 95 percent of those eligible to take the Regents exams graduating from it.

The leap from a limited program-within-a-school to a special school itself may not make much difference to the students; there will be only 100 in the initial class and they will study a traditional curriculum. But it does make a difference. The city should never suggest that the solution to problems of discrimination and persecution of students who are perceived as different is to segregate them from the rest of the population. And given the small number of students at Harvey Milk, it is obvious that there will be thousands of gay teenagers who will still be part of the general classroom population.

The needs of gay teenagers can best be served by making sure that they, like all New York students, are able to attend regular public high schools in safety, free from bullying. Organizers maintain they would be happy to see applications from any student who wants to attend Harvey Milk, whatever his or her sexual orientation, but the school's stated mission needs to reflect that, in the same way that other small "boutique" schools around the city draw students interested in particular careers, course work or unique learning environments.

A school like Harvey Milk could also serve as a safe haven and short-term solution for gay teenagers and others who are most traumatized by mistreatment at their schools. In the long term, though, history has taught us the best way to fight discrimination is to dismantle it where it occurs.

Someone I talked to the other day made another good point against these separate schools-while the intent is to allow homosexual kids to go to a place free from ridicule, there's bound to be some homophobes that will still find a way to torment these kids at their new school-they'll write degrading remarks on the building walls, they could follow kids to the school or back from the school and torment them there, things like that.

"In the long term, though, history has taught us the best way to fight discrimination is to dismantle it where it occurs."

Exactly.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom