Myths about Republicans and Liberals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonite

I'm a chauvinist leprechaun
I've read all the generalizational slams on republicans on this board, but Here's a bit of info to rebuke those claims that the Liberals make oh so often about the Republicans.....

EIB:
here are so many myths being blown up right in front of our eyes - if people would only have the courage to see them.

"The first one, and this has always been a biggie, is that the Republicans are the party of big business, the rich guys, and that the Democrats are the ones that care about the little guy. But when you look at Democrat policies, they do nothing but keep the little guy little, by design.

Of the ten wealthiest senators, seven of them are Democrats, and then you look at all of this Global Crossing (Liberal DNC Chairman Terry McAuliffe cashing in on stock right before it went Bankrupt... Exactly what the Bush administration DID NOT DO with ENron.. But Do you see this story on the mainstream press??? Noooo ) and Enron stuff and you find out on who's really tied to big business. "

On Terry McAuliffe:
"This is the guy running the Democratic National Committee. You have an Enron situation here, folks, and a man who personally profits from an initial investment of a hundred thousand dollars in Global Crossing and cashes out for $18 million - right before the company declares bankruptcy."

Allow me to also add also the huge Airline Bailouts.. I think US AIRways 50 Billion?Ithink.. and Boeing (another 60 billion i think) .. Who was lobbying for the money to be given to those???? Tom Daschle (Democrat S. Dakota)'s Wife.. Pushed by Daschle himself...

"And then there's this notion that the Democrats and liberals are the ones concerned about peace, love and the rest of the world. I think Bill Clinton cared more about his legacy, and it seems people are finally waking up to that fact. There was a story on Monday involving Hillary Clinton and Charles "Chuck" Schumer in The New York Post.

Hillary made a promise to Schumer way back when that she would follow his lead on matters concerning Jews and Israel. With that in mind, she had to stand tongue-tied as she listened to Schumer slam her husband for his association with Yasser Arafat.

Schumer addressed New York's Central Synagogue last Sunday, where he blasted Clinton as a terrorist enabler who coddled Yasser Arafat for years. According to the New York Post, Schumer actually had the temerity to tell the group that Clinton had failed to hold Arafat's feet to the fire as Palestinian-sponsored terrorism against Israel continued throughout the 1990's. "

Ya'll can argue these points if you wish, but I'm just here illustrating the fact that the myths are not the one sided generalizations as many people believe.. I hope that when people write such statements, that they remember this article and are educated just a little more about such things.. because these are things that you don't hear about in the mass media.

Off to enjoy the speech in a bit!
L. Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 01-29-2002).]

Does it make you feel better to know that both Republicans and Democrats are generally corrupt elitists? Of course it is true. If you'd have asked me, I would have stated so.

We have the top 1% trying to represent 100% of America when their interests are nowhere near the interests of the common people. But when the major elections cost tens of millions of dollars, with the presidency costing hundreds of millions of dollars, do you really think that the common man has even a remote chance of winning an election?

Plus, with the six-figure salaries our Congressmen and President bask in, while the average worker has to deal with around $30,000, they live in a happy illusion. Their interests lie with the wealthy interests, as they don't want to be raising their own taxes or hurting their own investments, no matter who it hurts down the line.

And, as for Arafat, I'll state it again. How can Arafat get a handle on the terrorists in his territory when Israeli forces are smashing what little police and military infrastructure they have? They are creating anarchy, and then telling Arafat to do something about it. It doesn't work that way. Then, when a militant does a suicide bombing, it's all about "poor Israel" and Israel retaliates by killing ten-fold. Of course, Israel deserves security, but do they not expect retaliation for their military operations?

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

And, as for the "Global Crossing" accusation, I have issues with it's accuracy. First of all, it had $14 a share until a few weeks ago, when a Wall Street analyst shot his mouth off, quite similarly in the way they shot their mouth off on K-Mart, and reduced their stock price to about 80 cents a share. They just declared bankruptcy yesterday, reducing their stock price to about 30 cents a share.

Now, either he bought his shares during the $14 a share period and sold before "Global Crossing" went bust, or he bought cheap and sold before bankruptcy. But that second option is impossible, since it just stated he came in at an initial investment of $100,000.

So the EIB is full of shit. McAuliffe didn't sell "just before bankruptcy." The company languished for weeks before declaring bankruptcy. McAuliffe likely sold his stock during the Wall Street panic on the fiber optic industry. "Global Crossing" was not an immediate casualty, though, but felt it later.

How do I know this? Global Crossing is headquartered near Detroit, and I have been watching it's stock after investigating working there for over the last year. And you call "liberal news" sloppy? The conservatives are just trying to pass the blame, because the Bush Administration is getting heat over Enron and their feelings are getting hurt. Of course, the Democrats aren't squeaky clean, but this idiotic partisanship crap is just too much.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

[This message has been edited by melon (edited 01-29-2002).]

Originally posted by U2Bama:
I am a married, Republican-voting male, yet I washed the dishes tonight, and I wash the laundry every weekend.

~U2Alabama

You are sooooooooooooo weird.

I suspect that this post is an attempt to demolish the ridiculous myth that Republicans are incapable of housework, as well as an attempt to provide comic relief in a heated thread.

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 01-29-2002).]

Originally posted by melon:

So the EIB is full of shit

I should have prefaced the Breaking source of the story.. The DRUDGE REPORT

Here follows the Rest of the Article..

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX MON JAN 28 2002 20:21:38 ET XXXXX

GLOBAL CROSSING BANKRUPTCY: GOP INSIDERS QUESTION DNC CHAIRMAN MCAULIFFE PROFIT, TURNED $100,000 INTO $18,000,000

**Exclusive**

ENRON-stung GOPers are discreetly eyeing the collapse of GLOBAL CROSSING [which on Monday became the 4th largest bankruptcy in history] and its Chairman Gary Winnick, a top Democrat donor who helped DNC head Terry McAuliffe turn a $100,000 stock investment -- into $18,000,000!

MORE

McAuliffe arranged for Winnick to play golf with President Clinton in 1999 after his cash windfall. Winnick then gave a million dollars to help build Clinton's presidential library.

A top White House source noted to the DRUDGE REPORT, with irony, the direct McAuliffe connection with Winnick and GLOBAL CROSSING.

"McAuliffe is a guy who made millions and millions and millions off this GLOBAL CROSSING stock? And the company goes bankrupt. And he has the gonads to criticize anyone on ENRON!" blasted the Bush insider who asked not to be identified.

"What did Winnick get for his money? Let's have congressional hearings! Stockholders should demand it! Will Mr. Clinton give back the money?"

McAuliffe, in his role as chairman of the Democratic National Committee, has been a vocal opponent of the ENRON collapse, telling CNN this weekend: "The people out there who are hurt the most are the small people, and once again the wealthy special interests got to take their money off the table, and that's what we need to investigate."

"The Bush administration is running fiscal policy the way folks at ENRON ran their company," McAuliffe has said.

But with shares of GLOBAL CROSSING closing at just 30 cents on Monday, and trading suspended after the Chapter 11 deal was announced, McAuliffe faded from view.

For McAuliffe, GLOBAL CROSSING turned out to be a bonanza. The stock had soared in the late 90s, when Winnick once bragged that he was the "richest man in Los Angeles." McAuliffe operated out of an office in downtown Washington that belonged to Winnick -- to help the mogul "work on deals."

McAuliffe told the NYT TIMES's Jeff Gerth in late '99 that his initial $100,000 investment grew to be worth about $18 million, and he made millions more trading GLOBAL's stock and options after it went public in '98.

Top GOP insiders were also gloating over GLOBAL CROSSING ties to other ENRON obsessives.

A major fundraising dinner for Senator Tom Daschle was bought and paid for by GLOBAL CROSSING.

Winnick gave thousands of dollars to top ENRON cop Rep. Henry Waxman during the last election, according to public records.

But as everything blurs, and blurs again in the bankruptcy cycles of the fresh century, and in a twist that will ensure GOP operatives do not ride GLOBAL CROSSING all the way into shore: Former President George Bush once made a smart move by accepting stock in a start-up company instead of his usual speaking fee when he addressed an audience in Tokyo.

Bush agreed to take shares in -- GLOBAL CROSSING LTD. in lieu of an $ 80,000 fee!

McAuliffe's Winnick reportedly suggested that Bush take his fee in stock instead of cash, and Bush agreed. The Bush stock, at its high, was worth over $ 14 million.

It is not known if he is still holding the scraps.

Developing...

An e-mail to the DRUDGE REPORT on Monday night:

I am a consistent reader of the Drudge Report and listen to your nationwide radio program.

I am a shareholder of Global Crossing and I believe there is something terribly wrong with the whole scenario - Gary Winnick's huge profits Vs calming public statements to Shareholders, the yearly turnover of CEO's, Gary Winnick's cronies making up the BOD and that BOD not protecting Shareholders, the public statements of the most recent CEO, John Legere, Vs the bankruptcy announcement on Monday, the deal with the Chinese buying the Company for pennies - 750 million for a 22.4 BILLION dollar company - (Will our government and other major firms use this service owned by a Chinese Co.?), Andersen's involvement -- the confusing balance sheets ? the lending institutions being duped, and the obvious profiting and involvement of political figures.

I hope your considerable influence will affect the bankruptcy judge, Robert E. Gerber, to deny the petition.

Sir, I can assure you that every employee and shareholder appreciates your involvement -- the little guy has suffered enough.

Sincerely,

xxx xx xxx

-----------------------------------------------------------
Filed By Matt Drudge

Food For Thought..a nice bowl of it.. 'Sloppy?'...

Hrmmmm...

As it was stated.. It's a developing story.. only recently broken.. . THis guy has broken many a new story in the past which were accurate... And even for Matt.. this one seems pretty viable at the moment..... Stay tuned to this issue in the future...

I'm off to bed now... Which movie shall I watch?.. I'l go with Shrek.. That funny green fellow.

L. Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 01-30-2002).]

Originally posted by speedracer:

I suspect that this post is an attempt to demolish the ridiculous myth that Republicans are incapable of housework, as well as an attempt to provide comic relief in a heated thread.
]

I wish I had time to add my two cents but my woman's got supper ready.

Ugh...I'm leaving it at that. I'm too mentally drained to be arguing everything. So that's that.

All I know that GBX is still in business, so, unlike Enron's bankruptcy, GBX is positioned to reemerge.

Melon

------------------

Originally posted by hotasahandbag:
that came from matt drudge? enough said.

Say what you will about Drudge.. But wait and see on this issue.. STILL however, the Global X Case is only part of my Main Point..

BAck to the Top.

L. Unplugged

This is the precise reason why I'm an Independant. No party lines to vote on (if I could vote...), no nothing. Just the best of either side. I'm a centrist really, but I tend to be pretty liberal at times. Of course I do live in Minnesota...land of 10,000 lakes, 4.5 million people, and one IDIOT of a governor.

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

*You're very kind. Most people laugh when they see my googly eye.*

+Hilarryous. Oh, it will catch on+

Back
Top Bottom