Mysterious Death Of US Soldier In Afghanistan - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2007, 01:23 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

Since when is it US Army policy to allow soldiers to execute homosexuals?
Let's not be overly simplistic, please. Nobody is saying the army explicitly allowed or ordered the "execution" of a homosexual. Just that it created a culture and a set of policies in which homosexuality is even less accepted than in mainstream America or Massachusetts (keep in mind it was a Nat. Guard unit so the soldiers were all from the state that is home to gay marriage) and in which discrimination and hatred at someone for their lifestyle/sexual identity results in a shot to the head. Especially damning is that the victim was nervous about something fishy happening; this means she had notices this climate of hostility.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:28 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

Um, no. Unless I'm misinterpreting what you said (in which case I apologize), the murder (hypothetically if she was killed in any way as a result of that) means it is too dangerous for homosexual people to serve in the military-
I said that in the context of connecting the murder with the policy.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:29 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Who even said that? The speculation here is that she was obviously suspicious before she died, and even in a way acknowledged the possibility of her own death. She asked her parents to investigate because some of her fellow soldiers obviously did things to raise concern.

It's called a motive.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:32 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek

in which discrimination and hatred at someone for their lifestyle/sexual identity results in a shot to the head.
And back to my point - this is a false conclusion. Being supportive of an Armed Forces policy prohibiting open homosexuality does not directly lead to putting a bullet into someone's head.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:33 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Mrs. Springsteen, and any other concerned MA residents, I'm calling Kennedy (202-224-4543), Kerry(244-2742) and Delahunt (202-225-3111) to thank them for their involvement and urge them to continue. Delahunt isn't my congressman but he sure is eyeing a senate run whenever it opens up so they'll take a call from any MA resident. I'm also calling my guy, Capuano, to ask him to support Delahunt.

http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/cg...e=ctc&state=ma
for contact info.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:15 AM
Quote:

Why do points go flying over your head so often?
Old 10-04-2007, 01:36 PM   #22
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:

And back to my point - this is a false conclusion. Being supportive of an Armed Forces policy prohibiting open homosexuality does not directly lead to putting a bullet into someone's head.
Again, NO ONE is saying this. However, when there is already a prevalent attitude that homosexuality is not welcome, or at the very least, discouraged, then it certainly doesn't discourage abuse from any overzealous homophobes if they happen to find out someone is gay.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:37 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

being in an environment where you're surrounded by sexist and/or homophobic individuals who are capable of such a hideous crime does. it isn't the military's policy to encourage that, of course. however since the military clearly doesn't believe in rights for open homosexuals, do you not think that the environment in itself is breeding grounds for homophobic perspectives?
Old 10-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by unico

being in an environment where you're surrounded by sexist and/or homophobic individuals who are capable of such a hideous crime does. it isn't the military's policy to encourage that, of course. however since the military clearly doesn't believe in rights for open homosexuals, do you not think that the environment in itself is breeding grounds for homophobic perspectives?
I do respect the Left for pulling this off. They've spent the last thirty or forty years pointing out how evil it is to bigoted (racist, homophobe...etc)...then they put anyone who disagrees with them into that box.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:43 PM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

The only people I can't tolerate are the intolerant...

It just makes sense to me.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #26
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:

I do respect the Left for pulling this off. They've spent the last thirty or forty years pointing out how evil it is to bigoted (racist, homophobe...etc)...then they put anyone who disagrees with them into that box.
[oversimplistic]
Are you saying that it's ok to be racist and/or homophobic?
[/oversimplistic]

Seriously though, if you feel that homosexuals, who of no choice of their own are the way they are, don't deserve equal rights, then you are a bigot. Exactly the same way in which believing that other races are inferior to yours makes you a bigot. Period.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:50 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Old 10-04-2007, 01:57 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
Mrs. Springsteen, and any other concerned MA residents, I'm calling Kennedy (202-224-4543), Kerry(244-2742) and Delahunt (202-225-3111) to thank them for their involvement and urge them to continue. Delahunt isn't my congressman but he sure is eyeing a senate run whenever it opens up so they'll take a call from any MA resident. I'm also calling my guy, Capuano, to ask him to support Delahunt.

http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/cg...e=ctc&state=ma
for contact info.
Delahunt's office was awesome and totally responsive! They were really glad I called, wanted to know why I was so concerned, thanked me for calling Capuano, etc. If he runs when Kennedy or Kerry leaves office, and Capuano doesn't, then he's got my support (for other reasons too, but this is one of them).
Old 10-04-2007, 01:59 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

w2g. and thanks for the numbers. i'll call if i get to step out for a few minutes.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:02 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by unico
w2g. and thanks for the numbers. i'll call if i get to step out for a few minutes.
Not sure what they'll do with an out of state call (though if you're from DC I guess they sorta have to rep you) but the Senators didn't even ask me for my zipcode (then, I was calling from a Boston area code). And Delahunt's office would probably appreciate the support.