Myanmar's prime minister ousted....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
*sigh*

I think the UN needs to do something here.

Of course, the UN is sketchy on any missions now since Mogadishu. :mad:

shart1780 said:
Some political leaders from the country top-right of Myanmar need to be ousted :)

:up: ding! we have a winner!

You know, what if all the people all over the world who are against this junta got together and just flew to Myanmar and dragged the people out and threw them in jail? (Heh, in my dreams!) But, there have to be a lot more of us than there are of them.

I know that's oversimplifying. But still.

thank you, pianorocker, for posting an article of some REAL importance!:yes:

The situation in Myanmar is getting more serious and more brutal daily and yet the majority of the world continues to turn its attention elsewhere.

Actually, the U.S. and Japan are the only two countries in the world who have decided to stand up on some principles and impose economic and other sanctions on the present ILLEGAL military dictatorship which rules Burma(Myanmar).

If every other country in the developed world would follow these examples and put deeper economic and other sanctions on this repressive regime, maybe we could speed up the day when peace and Democracy rules Burma and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi is a FREE woman, able to become the head of Burma like she was democratically elected to be in 1990!:happy:

But that means that we all have to BECOME MORE INVOLVED in supporting the democracy efforts of the Burmese people.

The important question to ask ourselves is: Am I doing all that I can to support Peace and Democracy in Burma?

I hope the answer is yes....:love:

Se7en, do you have another option to put pressure on this government?

It seems all the military dictatorship is interested in is keeping itself in power to economically benefit (albeit unofficially) from the illegal drug trade in SE Asia.

Economic sanctions seems to be one of the few recourses the world has to get this illegal and brutal regime out of power.

I was part of the international anti-apartheid struggle in the 1980's when we fought to get economic and political sanctions installed in developed countries around the world against the former SA apartheid government and I remember the strong support we recieved from the oppressed People of SA to KEEP THE SANCTIONS GOING - especially from the Rev. Desmond Tutu and Nelson Mandela from his prison cell!

Generally, when a country is under such extreme repression as Burma is right now, the People of the country support sanctions against the illegal government - so why shouldn't we?
:yes:

well the thing is, i look at a place like cuba and don't really see what 50 years of sanctions and embargos have done to remove that regime of 'godless communist pigs.' it has only hurt the people.

i suppose if there is some way of knowing, or if it is already known, if the the people of burma support international sanctions then you might as well go for it. i just think internal revolutions are always preferable to outside interference.

Back
Top Bottom