my state is lame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5352193/

The VA General Assembly claim they 'accidently' passed a law that would give all workers the right to demand either Saturday or Sunday off. :eyebrow: So, now the employers are up in arms trying to stop it before some poor working stiff might ask for the promised triple overtime if forced to work the entire weekend. And the courts really have temporarily suspended it from taking force! They say they're going to hold it up for 30 days and see how they can get out of it! Can you believe this? So much stink over this, which I think would be a good thing especially for people who work crap jobs and never get the weekend off, and not one bit of protest over VA becoming the first state to legally and officially ban gay civil unions? :huh:

How can you 'accidently' pass a law, even if it's a part of another bill? I've never seen this done before, by anyone, anywhere. Some rich folks must really want their money out of the pockets of the poor workers!

BTW and FYI- VA has a very liberal democratic governer (Mark Warner, no relation to John the Senator, he looks exactly like Mark Weiner who had that stupid Nickelodeon show in the early 90's) and he had the power to veto that gay union ban but did nothing.

Last edited:
I don't hate the whole state, so what the good people of Virginia can do is vote out the homophobes come the November election--including the one that sits in the Oval Office right now.

Melon

Ugh. Now you can see why I fled my homestate of Va. the minute I graduated from college. :down: It's pathetic.

I know many people in Virginia don't approve of this new law. Alabama doesn't recognize gay civil unions, and I don't like this. But there's nothing I can do about it. Damn. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

I actually missed a protest which took place in a local square yesterday because I was out of town, but I think there is another one next week. I'll go!

Perhaps this is a fine and golden opportunity for me to inform ya'll (as we say in Virginia) that VA is a SWING STATE! Kerry is polling well within the margin of error here. Not everyone know that. :D

www.novaforkerry.com

:wave:

SD

Sherry Darling said:
Perhaps this is a fine and golden opportunity for me to inform ya'll (as we say in Virginia) that VA is a SWING STATE! Kerry is polling well within the margin of error here. Not everyone know that. :D

www.novaforkerry.com

:wave:

SD

I'm all for Swing States going BLUE :D . Go VA!

I just came from viewing the Macy's 4th of July fireworks. Me & sis were down near the end of Man <only a bit away from where Bono gave his speech at the TFF concert>.

They had extra barges this year down by the South Street Seaport, to near whitehall street [by the Staten Is ferry], and one near Lady Liberty. So we got a great view of the whitehall ones and a bit of the other one.

It was gorgeous, but i also played an imagination game that I was watching in person or on TV President Kerry's Inauguaral Fireworks on The Mall in DC Celebration. :yes: :applaud: :yes:

*******~~Dreaming Out Loud!~~*******

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
How can you 'accidently' pass a law, even if it's a part of another bill? I've never seen this done before, by anyone, anywhere. Some rich folks must really want their money out of the pockets of the poor workers!

First...this is COMMON procedure in all levels of government. A lot of the bills passed are not completely read. It is sad and true.

Pockets of the poor workers? I would be up in arms if people were being forced to work seven days a week...but our society ASKS for things to be open and be operating on weekends. IF everyone demands to not work on Saturdays and Sundays - Virginia (as a state) would have to shut down on Saturdays and Sundays.

Think of the people who would get deathly ill on a Sunday. NOPE...sorry. You have to wait until Monday because as a hospital (remember, we do not have state-provided healthcare like Canada or some of the finer Euro countries) - we are a business who cannot afford to keep our doors open on weekends because we now have to pay our RNs triple overtime.

- OR -

Second scenario.....Now, if you want a meatloaf sandwhich on a saturday from your corner gas station, it will cost YOU triple to cover the wages of the weekend help.

What is wrong with it is NOT about the "low guy on the totem pole who works Sat and Sun. but has Tue. and wed. off" - but potentially how it would eventually screw EVERY resident of Virginia.

Re: Re: my state is lame

zoney! said:

Pockets of the poor workers? I would be up in arms if people were being forced to work seven days a week...but our society ASKS for things to be open and be operating on weekends. IF everyone demands to not work on Saturdays and Sundays - Virginia (as a state) would have to shut down on Saturdays and Sundays.

NO one's saying things should be shut down on weekends, just that any individual should not be forced to work both days!!!!! It's a law that would give any given person the right to demand EITHER Sat. or Sun. off, it's not saying anyone can't work or stores should close!

Now, if you want a meatloaf sandwhich on a saturday from your corner gas station, it will cost YOU triple to cover the wages of the weekend help.

This situation cannot apply to that. If you had been reading my gas station saga, you'd have seen that other than the cook (who gets weekends off anyway) all his workers are illegal aliens making around $2 per hour or less. That's why people were telling me to turn him into the INS. So if he doesn't have to abide by labor laws for that, this would make no difference!

melon said:
I don't hate the whole state, so what the good people of Virginia can do is vote out the homophobes come the November election--including the one that sits in the Oval Office right now.

Melon

How did this get to be an anti-Bush thread? :confused:

The problem is totally a VA thing, and as I said, our present governer is a very liberal democrat and he did not stop it even though he had veto power. How is that Bush's fault? Let's put the bashing for this where it belongs, the legislature, and Gov. Mark Warner!

Besides, Kerry hasn't exactly stood up for gay marriage either!

Hence why I said "homophobes," not just Republicans. And Bush has openly been encouraging these amendments. If he stood against them, I guarantee that the issue would not be as pervasive as it has been. So kick 'em all out, including the supposed "liberal Democrat" for governor. He should learn to develop a spine, if he was against the amendment, but he clearly doesn't have one. There are enough spineless Democrats to go around, so he can go too.

Melon

One good thing about VA, the governer is not allowed to serve 2 consecutive terms, so he can't run again! :yes:

Re: Re: Re: my state is lame

U2Kitten said:

NO one's saying things should be shut down on weekends, just that any individual should not be forced to work both days!!!!! It's a law that would give any given person the right to demand EITHER Sat. or Sun. off, it's not saying anyone can't work or stores should close!

You are missing my point. If all the workers DEMAND either Saturday or Sunday off, and businesses cannot oblige, then my scenarios come to fruition. Lets add another scenario....it might mean EVERYONE in the workplace is forced to work a weekend day. Then who wins? :hmm: Not Joe Sixpack.

U2Kitten said:
This situation cannot apply to that. If you had been reading my gas station saga, you'd have seen that other than the cook (who gets weekends off anyway) all his workers are illegal aliens making around $2 per hour or less. That's why people were telling me to turn him into the INS. So if he doesn't have to abide by labor laws for that, this would make no difference!

Again...missing my point. I was using it as an example. Something I thought you may be able to relate to. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom