My sincerest question ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gvox

Ghost of Love
Ok this is a real question:

Earlier today I heard that tonite at 8pm Bush will tell Saddam he has 24-48 hours to leave Iraq or face military action.

My question is, if this is all about disarmement, what will happen if Saddam verifiably leaves?

Will the US stop the tanks?

Im serious, what will happen if he does that?

I believe part of the conditions are expected to be that the US is allowed to come into Iraq without fighting to disarm them.

I may be wrong though.

Last edited:
that's a good question. unfortunately i don't think anything can be done now to stop military action. i would hope that we wouldn't still go to war, but i know that's probably naive on my part.

First of, I think we can all pretty much assume Saddam will not leave. Dictators tend not to leave countries on their own, plus his country is about to be attacked - what kind of leader would abandon his people?

Second, for all we know, this could just be the US see-throgh plan to say "we tried everything before the war". (see first point)

Third, suppose by some miracle he left. The weapons are still there and they still should be disarmed (IF this is about disarmament), because who's to say he won't appoint a member of his own party to rule after he's gone?
The better question perhaps is if he leaves, is force necessary or can we send the inspectors back in?

U2girl said:
Dictators tend not to leave countries on their own, plus his country is about to be attacked - what kind of leader would abandon his people?
The kind of leader that tortures and murders it's people.

If he leaves? The U.S. will occupy Iraq without a war. It's that simple.

Since it would be uncharacteristic for Saddam to leave, on the basis of his past behavior, I think this is more hypothesizing than anything.

Melon

Saddam would let all his people die before he leaves that country. Rest assured.

Well, isn't that interesting. Apparently Mr. Fleischer, the White House spokesperson said US would go in Iraq even with Saddam gone, and that in that case they would not get any resistance.

What's the point of this ultimatum, then? :confused:
And how can they be so sure about non-resistance? The troops loyal to Saddam would surely fight to the end, right?

U2girl - The U.S. and U.K. would obviously still need to go into Iraq if Saddam left because they still need to go through with the disarmament and have to set up a temporary leadership while ushering in a new government in the country without Saddam.

And would the people fight to the end if Saddam left? Do you know much about Iraq? These people are suppressed, tortured, killed, raped, etc.... by Saddam and his military/government personnel. They will barely fight for this man even if he stays, and they will only do so in fear of being killed by Saddam because they aren't fighting.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
First of, I think we can all pretty much assume Saddam will not leave. Dictators tend not to leave countries on their own, plus his country is about to be attacked - what kind of leader would abandon his people?

Second, for all we know, this could just be the US see-throgh plan to say "we tried everything before the war". (see first point)

Third, suppose by some miracle he left. The weapons are still there and they still should be disarmed (IF this is about disarmament), because who's to say he won't appoint a member of his own party to rule after he's gone?
The better question perhaps is if he leaves, is force necessary or can we send the inspectors back in?

You are obviously showing exactly how much you know about this situation.

To think that the thought, 'Oh I cannot abandon My people', would ever cross Saddam's mind... Well.. Not at least before he gassed 5000 of them.

This is now all in Saddam's hands.. There will only be a fight if he doesn't leave.. He didn't disarm over the past 12 years, gave the finger to the international community 18 specific times, and now is being called to judgement for his noncompliance.

The US will move into Iraq and disarm the weapons themselves and wipe any remnants of this regime off the planet.. As the only acceptable option at this moment is Regime Change... Again.. Saddam brought on these consequences himself.

And to think that there is any significant amount of Military forces 'Loyal To Saddam'... Did you hear the story of the British Soldiers performing Military exercises on the Iraqi Border... The Iraqi soldiers, thinking that the war had started, RAn over to the Brits Arms Aloft.. Pants at the Ankles In Surrender....

The Brits Said, 'Go Home, The War Hasn't started'... Pretty funny if you ask me, and very telling of what these Iraqis are really thinking.

Mr. Pink

Um, I was talking about troops fighting, not civilians obviously. The republican guard, for example.

Nice to see mocking from the other side again.

Bush would invade Iraq whether Saddam had left or not. That was his goal from the beginning and nothing he says will change that. I just hoped he stopped lying.

Back
Top Bottom