My predictions on the war with Iraq. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2003, 05:59 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
I'm not saying it won't happen or that its not possible because this is how Panama operation was done in 1989.
I forgot the reason your honored armed forces went into Panama. Was it because they had nukes? Please enlighten me.

Quote from another thread:

Killing people to save them from dictatorship or ideological
corruption is, of course, an old U.S. government sport.

Old 02-04-2003, 06:03 PM   #17
Bordering Purgatory

Local Time: 02:18 AM
either way, the smartest way to attack a country (if there is such a thing) is by blitzing them.

im sure thats what the us will do one way or the other. i doubt you will see this last anywhere near as long as the last war.

i will make you hurt
Old 02-04-2003, 06:03 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:18 AM
Anyway, without any cynicism: Who knows, will the dollar move up or down compared to the Euro when the war starts? Not that I want to make a quick buck, just that i dont want to pay the double when I visit your beautiful country the upcoming summer.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:26 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

I forgot the reason your honored armed forces went into Panama. Was it because they had nukes? Please enlighten me.

Quote from another thread:

Killing people to save them from dictatorship or ideological
corruption is, of course, an old U.S. government sport.

Quit this shit. This is a peaceful thread without the same retoric in all the other threads around here!

I think the US wants as little life loss (US life) as possible. Of cource this is the objective in all wars i think because of the Us public not be totally on board they will sacrfice Iraqis for this reason. They wont send nearly as many ground troops as last time. They will bomb the shit out of Bagdad and then move in. Alot of bombing since they limit the loss of Americans.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:33 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:18 AM
The smaller ground force used this time is because of Iraq's degraded conventional abilities from the last war in addition to increases in USA capabilities especially in Precision Guided Munitions, detecting and targeting Iraqi units, and the disimination of information to all USA fighting units on a level not seen before.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:45 PM   #21
Bordering Purgatory

sting2: in your opinion, what do you really think iraqi senior officials mean when they say that americans will pay dearly at the gates of baghdad? as in, what could they possibly have on this planet that would be effective in such a way?
i will make you hurt
Old 02-04-2003, 11:23 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The only thing I could think of would be a nuclear weapon, but it would not make much since to detonate it at the gates of Baghdad. The only thing I can think is that they hope they can negate the USA technological advantages by being able to fight a protracted Urban war. Iraqi fortifications outside of Baghdad will not be much more effective than the Saddam Line was in Kuwait. But the terrian is not as flat and open around Baghdad as it is in Kuwait. Iraqi defenses should be stronger because of this, but not enough to effect the outcome or dramatically increase the cost of achieving that outcome.

Fighting inside the city of Baghdad itself will be difficult, but will also be difficult for Iraqi's as well. The same obstacles to mobility will be there for the Iraqi's that withdraw into the city as they will be for US forces.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:29 PM   #23
Bordering Purgatory

i see, interesting, thank you.

one more question: where is a great website where i can learn what makes a division, battalion, company, etc.? you always here about these terms, but i never know precisely what theyre made of. any help would be appreciated.
i will make you hurt
Old 02-04-2003, 11:58 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Flag Pole Pear,

That can really vary a lot actually but here is the order from smallest to largest and a rough number per unit. This is mainly for infantry units. Artillery, Airdefense Artillery, Armor, and support units will vary.

Squad 10
Platoon 40
Company 160
Battalion 800-1,000
Brigade 4,000-5,000
Division 15,000-18,000
Corp over 50,000
Army over 100,000

Typically there are 3 Brigades in each division, 2 divisions and one brigade in a Corp. And Two Corps in an Army.

There are usually around 4 to 6 Battalions in a Brigade, 4 Company's in a Battalion, 4 Platoons in a company, and 4 squads in a Platoon.

Iraq currently has 23 divisions. 17 regular army divisions, 6 Republican Guard divisions. The USA is deploying about 4 Army Divisions, and two Marine MEFs to the region. Each Marine MEF is a little larger than an Army Division. I do not know the complete scale of the full number of US combat forces that will be deployed to the region but this is the latest that I have seen. I have also seen information that suggest 3 army divisions instead of 4.

Realize that the numbers of US ground combat forces represented by the above divisions do not include support and logistical units and Navy and Airforce personal.