My Plan For The Education System - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2004, 05:19 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:41 PM
Thank the Lord we moved from Kentucky. I would've had to go out of state for college because it has no good in-state schools. Virginia has a plethora of AMAZINGLY good in-state schools. UVA, VT, Mary Washington, William and Mary, now Christopher Newport is coming up, so is VCU, and James Madison. We're blessed.

Old 10-15-2004, 05:32 PM   #17
Acrobat

I have a son in public grade school in a fairly affluent area with good school, so needless to say, I think about the future a lot. My husband don't have a lot of money, and we work our tails off so we can live in the area we and my son can go to a decent public school - since private schooling is out of the financial equation. Even though one would think that a school in my area would be overflowing with extra cash, the district has to fray some of basic costs (as well as extra costs like field trips, guests, etc) with programs like school power and the pta. A lot of fund raising (it's not just bake sales anymore) takes place so as to buy extra supplies. I'm not talking about school t-shirts and pom poms for cheerleafers and extra slides on the playground, I'm talking about the basics like classroom supplies all the way to toilet paper. Our music teacher's salary is supplemented with the money school power and the pta raise and I think there is something seriously wrong when a music teacher cannot make enough money to support herself and have her job constantly be on the line because it might be cut. Anyway... enough of that.

You have great suggestions, but they are a little idealistic and at points drastic.

For what it's worth:

1.) Athletics: I was the furthest thing from sporty at my school. I was PE exempt because of a medical condition, so I was always the outsider looking in. I do agree that the emphasis on sports far outweighs other elective activities such as the arts and a lot of the time, athletics even trumped the academics. But to cut athletics in half means we are putting school athletes in physical danger, as StElevation pointed out. That would be too huge a liability. These kids need equipment and they need to be up to standard. Also, there is such a thing as school spirit, and athletics can really play this up as a means to get everyone, not just athletes, involved. For me, when there was a game, I was asked to make posters and banners. My school arranged school dances afterward so the music department (lost of kids were in bands) could have these sort of mini concerts. Our teams weren't the greatest but we all hada lot of fun. Another thing about athletics is that even though it's hip to go for the underdog and have an anti-jock mentality - team sports teach people to work together. I think that is an important lesson in itself. But that's just me.

2 & 3.) I'm old fashioned in that I like books and enjoyed taking them with me. But computers are the wave of the future, and I think eventually all textbooks will be on disc. Computers definitely have their advantages, like what's already been brought up but there are problems that come with the laptop idea. Wear and tear. Crashing. Lost or stolen. Hacking. Students using them for non curriculum activities like posting on U2 messageboards. And where would the funding initially come from and if the school districts were to make the switch from books to laptops, how will this affect "at risk" schools who are financially struggling as it is?

4.) Heating should be an absolute must. Fair housing says that if a home is without proper heating then it is inhabitable, and I believe the same should be said for schools. Not so with a/c. Air conditioning is actually a luxury, not a necessity but I'm from the old school of thought that the colder it is, the less likely you are to fall asleep. It would be nice for every school to keep an even 72 degrees year round, but how can this be attainable for the high risk schools that are struggling... even if their athletic department is slashed in half? Energy costs can be exhorbant, and they fluctuate...

As for coaches teaching classes. Again with the anti-jock mentality. Why can't a coach also teach, what's wrong with that so long as they are qualified? I've had good experiences and bad experiences with coaches teaching an academic course. The worst experience was that in one class, the only way a person could get extra credit was to go to a game and write a 3 page review. The most positive experience was a coach/teacher who actually enjoyed the academic class they were teaching, and they were enthusiastic. I really think this should be up to the schools to decide.

5.) I got a lot out of study hall. Then again, only students who maintained a certain gpa had the option of study hall or independant studies. There certainly wasn't a whole lot of spitballs flying around the library during my study hall!

6.) I don't agree with abolishing major testing, it's that way in college so I don't see why it shouldn't be that way in high school which is essentially there to prepare you for college. If students cram for an exam the night before because they haven't taken notes or bothered studying throughout the rest of the quarter/semester, then it's their fault they can't retain what was taught to them. I know it sounds harsh, but in high school especially the latter years, a student is expected to have some autonomy. They can choose to pay attention, or they can choose to slack off. Why should the schools spoon feed these students little bits at a time because they don't like preparing and reviewing for a major exam and it stresses them out.

7.) Pep rallies are supposed to be fun, and personally I enjoyed the break from classes. Everybody needs a break sometime. But I also think pep rallies could be given as a sort of cumulative reward. Like after major testing. The bigger the pep rally is, then better the whole school did on their major tests.

8.) I don't understand this type of thinking. With all due respect to those willing to go through with a pregnancy (I'm a pro-choicer, btw) shouldn't a community work to rid itself of stigmas often associated with teen pregnancy? Is denying a parent-to-be an education the way to foster a good start in a child's life, should they decide to keep the baby? What does it tell the baby, if we shun the parent-to-be - what kind of society is that? Denying kids of an education because of the consequences of having sex is not only backwards, but it's intrusive on a person's private life. Not to mention an aclu lawsuit waiting to happen. And we know schools can't afford that. I'm not all for teens having sex, but making pregnant teens "go away" is not getting to the root of the problem. *Schools and parents* need to come together and seek the root of the situation, work out a real solution to the teen pregnancy epidemic. It sounds ideal, but there are many people who feel that schools should offer sex ed on the premises, and there are many people who feel this is a matter best taught at home. It's obvious something's not right and in the end, the students suffer and so do their children and the cycle continues. Parents and schools *must* work together because neither can do it alone. They need to work out a means of teaching kids to be responsible, either through protection or abstinence.

9.) Why should creationism be taught in a public school? I won't even go there, so as not to spur yet another religious debate.

10.) What's wrong with having students get up early in the morning. Maybe they should be going to bed a little earlier if they can't be up and awake and fully ready to go by 8am. School is kind of like a 9-5 job for students. It's that way in the real word, and isn't high school preparation for not just college if students so wish, but the real world as well? How about students, like I was, that work an after-school job? must schools create this environment where we treat students with kid gloves so as not to upset their late-sleeping sensibilities. Again, I know it sounds harsh, but 10-4... that might work in senior year, but there needs to be a little tough love here. There needs to be responsibility, structure.

11.) Not really a whole lot to say, except that there should be exceptions and not everything is black and white.

I would like to hear dread and martha and any other teachers out there who know what it's like, to expand a little more on what would be good solutions to some of the problems in the public educational system.

Old 10-15-2004, 05:35 PM   #18
Acrobat

Can't edit my grammatical errors - man, I need to go back to school and either take a retake a typing class or English 101.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:01 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by adam's_mistress
Can't edit my grammatical errors - man, I need to go back to school and either take a retake a typing class or English 101.
eh, it's the internet. typos can slide!
Old 10-15-2004, 07:54 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:41 AM
In response to number 9.

Creation has no place in the science classroom. ID and all that is merely a wedge tactic by the creationist movement to force their beliefs on others. Essentially evolution by means of natural selection is science - Intelligent Design Creationism is theology.

Evolution is a scientific fact and the means of how it occurs is theory, Natural Selection is a much better theory than Intelligent Design therefore Evolution by means of Natural Selection is taught - deal with it.

Young Earth Creationism is Ignorance. Any God would not have endowed mankind with the faculties to uncover the universe and expect humanity to waste them. I implore you to go out and learn the amazing facts about the issue and you may find your appreciation for the "miracle of creation" is heightened by a deeper understanding of the mechanisms of life. Do not wallow in ignorance because you are told that ignorance is belief.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:59 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

And look it's a transitional fossil, the whale with legs!

Quote:
Ambulocetids show more aquatic adaptations than pakicetids, and probably filled an ecological niche similar to modern crocodiles. They are found in near shore environments and probably ambushed part of their prey in the shallows. They could move both on land and in water, and had robust jaws and teeth to handle large struggling prey. The post-cranial skeleton of ambulocetids is well known thanks to a nearly complete skeleton of the species Ambulocetus natans that was found in northern Pakistan. Ambulocetids are only known from Eocene deposits of Pakistan, 49 million years ago.
Please go out and learn do not waste your mind away on superstition, understand the world for what it is - science cannot prove or disprove God. But it can definitely disprove the ignorant work of man that is literal creationism.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:15 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

If people want to learn creationism, that's what sunday school is for.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:17 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

1: What is wrong with athletics and sport? One requires both a healthy body and mind to lead a good life. Sport is bloody great fun and it reduces obesity and the associated health problems. Take the burden of the healthcare system and encourage sport as much as possible.

2: Books are better than computers any day, a book never crashes, a book never needs to get repaired or have its batteries recharged. Information should be found in pages and bindings rather than 1 and 0.

3: The system (like all government programs) would deteriorate over time and what started out working fine would turn into a dodgy money hole where a program than has dubious benefits sucks other funds in/

4: Again redistribution seems utterly pointless and would just go from doing more to doing less.

5: I never had "study hall" so I have no idea what your talking about.

6: Major testing is critical, it ensures that a student can apply the knowledge gained through the year in a cohesive manner and prepares them for higher education. At uni I have weekly miniquizes that contribute but I still have exams. Only having weekly tests would mean people would revise for the weekly quiz and forget the stuff a week later.

7: Never had pep rallies. But sex is not a bad thing, in fact its a great thing - I think that I can speak for a lot of people when I say, Yay Sex

8: Yeah thats a great way to solve a problem, make sure than a girl under 18 who gets pregnant cannot get a proper education or get a decent job. Its a very hard thing to raise a kid and try to continue to get an education, the last thing that anybody should do is punish those who are willing to get an education even with the adversity of a child. The problem is solved by being more open about sexual issues and adressing it head on, not play the entire SEX IS BAD, NO SEX routine.

9: Ignorance

10: Nothing people like more than staying back longer than they have to, it seems that people have survived getting up early for school for quite a while and turned out allright I hardly see how beneficial that could be.

11: Thankfully Australia does not have such problems with high school shootings. I agree to an extent that there should be more common sense when adressing the problem but I don't think that you can be to complacent. After Beslan I think that certain staff within schools should have firearms training and have weapons in case of such an emergency, it sounds extreme but if done in the correct manner it could avert a true disaster.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:13 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
If people want to learn creationism, that's what sunday school is for.
Or philosophy class or religion class. It has no place in a biology class, because it has no basis in any sort of respectable science.

I went to a Catholic school and at no time whatsoever were we taught Creationism in biology.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:09 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Evolution is a scientific fact and the means of how it occurs is theory, Natural Selection is a much better theory than Intelligent Design therefore Evolution by means of Natural Selection is taught - deal with it.
A_Wanderer, with all due respect, I think the ID theory is more Metaphysics than specifically Religion/Creationism. I don't know what the American syllabus is like, but I've always thought it would be great if Philosophy entered the high school syllabus, or at least Pre-University. Adults underestimate kids' capacity to understand...

foray
Old 10-15-2004, 10:23 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:41 PM
why not give these theories that are supported by people's Bible beliefs.

Quote:
Flat Earthers

Flat Earthers believe that the earth is flat and is covered by a solid dome or firmament. Waters above the firmament were the source of Noah's flood. This belief is based on a literal reading of the Bible, such as references to the "four corners of the earth" and the "circle of the earth." Few people hold this extreme view, but some do.

* International Flat Earth Society, Box 2533, Lancaster, CA.
Charles K. Johnson

Geocentrism

Geocentrists accept a spherical earth but deny that the sun is the center of the solar system or that the earth moves. As with flat-earth views, the water of Noah's flood came from above a solid firmament. The basis for their belief is a literal reading of the Bible. "It is not an interpretation at all, it is what the words say." (Willis 2000) Both flat-earthers and geocentrists reflect the cosmological views of ancient Hebrews. Geocentrism is not common today, but one geocentrist (Tom Willis) was intrumental in revising the Kansas elementary school curriculum to remove references to evolution, earth history, and science methodology.

* Biblical Astronomer, Cleveland, OH
http://www.biblicalastronomer.org/
Gerardus Bouw

* Creation Science Association for Mid-America, Cleveland, MO.
http://www.csama.org/
Tom Willis

Young-Earth Creationism

Young Earth Creationists (YEC) claim a literal interpretation of the Bible as a basis for their beliefs. They believe that the earth is 6000 to 10,000 years old, that all life was created in six literal days, that death and decay came as a result of Adam & Eve's Fall, and that geology must be interpreted in terms of Noah's Flood. However, they accept a spherical earth and heliocentric solar system. Young-Earth Creationists popularized the modern movement of scientific creationism by taking the ideas of George McCready Price, a Seventh Day Adventist, and publishing them in The Genesis Flood (Whitcomb & Morris 1961). YEC is probably the most influential brand of creationism today.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:27 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:41 PM
I went to a Christian Reformed school and I was taught I think 3-4 types of creation. But really, no one will ever know which one is right and I think that it's pretty much the LEAST important issue here. There are far more serious problems in today's schools.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:35 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:41 PM
deep wasn't serious. You can marginalize any group by pointing to a very tiny fringe.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:38 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:41 PM
I think they should extend Recess
Old 10-16-2004, 07:59 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
I think they should extend Recess
i miss recess.