My new hero....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]Eight year old girl battling with cancer aims to raise $1m for cancer research by selling lemonade
12 Jun 2004

Alexandra Scott is eight years old, she is battling against malignant tumours, she aims to raise $1m for cancer by selling lemonade. She started her quest four years ago and managed to sell $2,000 worth of lemonade in one day. Her quest has snowballed as friends and volunteers joined in.

Alexandra has raised more than $200,000. She managed to sell over $15,000 worth just from her home, in Philadelphia, last year.

Alexandra?s mother, Liz, says that her daughter?s quest for raising money for cancer research has helped her keep going.

Every state in the USA, all fifty of them, has an Alex Lemonade Stand. According to Alexandra?s dad, Jay, there could be up to 1,000 stands eventually.

Alexandra has neuroblastoma, it was diagnosed when she was one-year-old. Her chances of surviving are about 40%. About 700 kids get neuroblastoma in the USA each year. [/Q]

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=9443

My wife is a survivor of this type of cancer. She had a doctor, that miraculously found the cancer when she was an infant, at a time, when the survival rate for this cancer was practically nill because they were not able to diagnos it early enough.

This is really awesome that she is doing this.!!!!! My check is in the mail. :heart:

Neuroblastoma survival rates are pretty grim. I would say it's less than 40% due to frequent recurrencies, which reduce the survival rate to nearly 0.

There is a lab on my floor which works on neuroblastoma research - very interesting work.

Amazing, I was just talking with my wife about this. Her doctor discoverd the cancer with his hands. She was telling me that he disagnosed a collegue of hers infant with the same way.

I wonder if he could teach people how he is doing it, because it seems pretty incredible that he has nailed two cases with a routine exam.

I read about Alex a couple of years ago

:heart:

Business at a sampling of stands from Minneapolis to Kansas City indicated that Alex, who's raised more than $200,000 to date, might reach her goal of $1 million from lemonade stands and donations this year.

A picture of her yesterday

capt.xjl10106121716.alexs_lemonade_stand_xjl101.jpg

I love the picture. I am going to try and get my Lion's Club to donate $$

[Q]
PHILADELPHIA Aug. 2, 2004 ? A young cancer patient who started a lemonade stand to raise money for cancer research, sparking a nationwide fund-raising campaign that has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars, has died. She was 8.
Alexandra Scott, of Wynnewood, died peacefully Sunday at home on her favorite couch, her father, Jay Scott, said Monday.
[/Q]

:sad:

Now it's imperative that we get $1,000,000. That girl's dream was to get there and it is damn well our responsibility to DO IT!

:(

What a sad turn of events. I hope her memory lives on through the fundraising.

I heard about this yesterday and thought of you, Dread. There will be fundraisers in her name for a long time, and her memory will live on. She blessed us with her presence, no matter how briefly. If only we all had such courage.

Back
Top Bottom