My Mainstream Muslim Concern.. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2002, 02:53 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:32 AM
My Mainstream Muslim Concern..

How come the peaceful- mainstream Muslims have not been more vocal, more forecful in denouncing fanatical Muslims?
I have a problem w this.

The peaceful Muslims outnumber the fanatics AT LEAST 10 to 1. Could be 20 to 1.
For every 10 peaceful, rational Muslim there is 1 crack pot terrorist Muslim.
How come freedom peaceful Muslims have not united to snuff out the terrorists?

I dont get it.

In our country we snuff out religous and fanatical terrorist-whackos.. regardless of religous afflilation..

So whats up here.?

Its time rational ppl take action against irrational ppl to prevent future bloodshed..

diamond

Old 12-07-2002, 03:17 PM   #2
New Yorker

Re: My Mainstream Muslim Concern..

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

In our country we snuff out religous and fanatical terrorist-whackos.. regardless of religous afflilation..

We DO?? Diamond, other than Waco, I can't even think of an instance where the U.S. government has "snuffed out" a fanatical terrorist wacko.

Here in the States, until a fanatic actually commits a crime, they are left free to spout off in any way they please. Free speech, and all that sort of rot. Whaddya gonna do? Jail people 'cause they proffer questionable ideals and ideas in public??

I think it's a hard call. In an authoritarian government, sure, you can nail people for their questionable speech, but the real terrorists are gonna be hard to find -- if they're smart.

Old 12-07-2002, 03:21 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:32 AM
I think Diamond has a point. He is not just talking about the USA, he is talking about Muslims worldwide. Bin Ladin is probably hiding in Pakistan, perhaps with the aid of non-fanitical muslims.
Old 12-07-2002, 03:35 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: My Mainstream Muslim Concern..

Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler

We DO?? Diamond, other than Waco, I can't even think of an instance where the U.S. government has "snuffed out" a fanatical terrorist wacko.

Here in the States, until a fanatic actually commits a crime, they are left free to spout off in any way they please. Free speech, and all that sort of rot. Whaddya gonna do? Jail people 'cause they proffer questionable ideals and ideas in public??

I think it's a hard call. In an authoritarian government, sure, you can nail people for their questionable speech, but the real terrorists are gonna be hard to find -- if they're smart.
Im talking of how we more or less know where Al Queda is hiding and no one close to them is saying -'Yo here are the bastards, right here, come grab em".

Diamond
Old 12-07-2002, 05:04 PM   #5
New Yorker

That's because anyone close to them is one of them.
Old 12-07-2002, 05:11 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:32 AM
right, and the kkk is abolished completely.

nazi's, ya, only millions of people agreed with their philosophy at one time.

diamond, though you raise a valid question, the same question could definately be placed on christianity, dont you think?
Old 12-07-2002, 05:14 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:32 AM
Re: My Mainstream Muslim Concern..

Quote:
How come the peaceful- mainstream Muslims have not been more vocal, more forecful in denouncing fanatical Muslims?
Maybe it's because don't feel they have anything more to prove than you or I.
Old 12-07-2002, 05:26 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

diamond, though you raise a valid question, the same question could definately be placed on christianity, dont you think?
I think there was a thread on this very idea a few months back when Mr. Falwell made some rediculous comments on 60 Minutes.

Radicals/Extremists no matter what religion or political persuasion seem to get the press while the moderates get left behind. It is unfortunate, because the rest of the moderates are left with the stigma of being associated with the extremes.

Peace
Old 12-07-2002, 06:06 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:32 AM
well thats right dreadsox, and the bottom line is who do you think the media is going to focus on? someone who has nothing exciting to say or someone who is very vocal and extreme in their views?
Old 12-07-2002, 06:15 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:32 AM
Quote:
well thats right dreadsox, and the bottom line is who do you think the media is going to focus on? someone who has nothing exciting to say or someone who is very vocal and extreme in their views?
Isn't that the way most talk radio shows are????? It's what makes Springer a success too!!!!!!

Moderates are boring and do not sell.

Peace
Old 12-07-2002, 06:54 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal

Quote:
right, and the kkk is abolished completely.

nazi's, ya, only millions of people agreed with their philosophy at one time.

no, not current day Christianity..
which is my point.
In this day and age if a Christain lunatic kills innocent ppl , in the general population here, we say "come get this lunatic", our citizens do not try and harbor them/him.

In the USA , if the KKK does something stupid or violent we are very quick to jail and proscecute the bastards and rightfully so..

I see a lack of urgency in the moderate Muslim world..to do the same w their whackos...

This is what is unsettling and aggravating..

thats all.
thank u-

diamond
Old 12-07-2002, 08:13 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 09:32 AM
Well, to phrase this simply, I don't think its as easy as all that, its not as black and white. I think the parties concerned are divided into two groups, those who feel they dont have anything to prove, and the other, those who feel that there are more questions to be asked, as in; who's the lesser evil, Pro-Zionist America or Osama Bin Laden?

There are people, moderate islamic people in all areas accross the world, who have an image of Osama Bin Laden on their mobile phone screens, these are the ones who do not think the same way Bush's 'with us or against us' mentality. And, I am sorry to say, a very large proportion of such people make up the Islamic population. What these implications consist of, is another question altogether.

Ultimately, what does it matter if they renounce them? Saudi is doing a great job at renouncing terrorists, but I wouldn't politically put my head into their lion's mouth.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 12-07-2002, 09:00 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:32 AM
Quote:
no, not current day Christianity..
which is my point.
In this day and age if a Christain lunatic kills innocent ppl , in the general population here, we say "come get this lunatic", our citizens do not try and harbor them/him.
Also, to the extent that there is a militant violent extreme to Christianity, mainstream Christians regularly denounce such activities, primarily from the pulpit.

After 9/11, mainstream Muslim groups denounced the terrorist attacks. Diamond, are you referring to the regular silence after other terrorist attacks?
Old 12-07-2002, 09:27 PM   #14
Refugee

Well if you are talking about American Muslims I think they have done a fine job. Right after the attacks they seemed to be denouncing everything. Now if you are talking about Muslims in the MidEast then i wouldnt think of you to be the expert in the field. I think what ZOO saif about Christian and more specifically Catholics. After all the rapes in the church i certainly dont thikn the outrage has been what it should be. Look the priests that commited these crimes and the people that oversay them are still around not locked up in jail.

To attack the moderate Muslim for not jumping around denounceing 9/11 is an invalid attack. We dont live there we certainly dont know of the conversations between the people of the countries.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:55 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Diamond, are you referring to the regular silence after other terrorist attacks?
Yes.

The almost silent complicity.

Im referring to the inaction of peaceful Muslims living abroad knowing where terrorist Muslims are currently hiding and not exposing them and offering them up.

American Muslims here and peaceful Muslims living abroad that denounce terrorism I applaud.

Diamond