My good friend Pat Buchanan... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2002, 12:10 AM   #16
Kid A

Local Time: 02:19 PM
you seem like a decent guy "most of time," FOXfire, but your ranting is almost as laughable as Buchanon's!

Old 11-02-2002, 03:07 AM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 07:19 PM
Has anyone seen Buchanan on MSNBC's Buchanan and Press? I guess he has had to tone it down, because I haven't seen him take the extreme right yet. I've only seen it a few times though.

I'd definitely take the first one, melon. There was a case recently in France where a very famous author named Michel Houellebecq said that he thought the Quran was depressing and that Islam is "the stupidest religion". There is currently a lawsuit against him. He now faces a year in jail or a 52,000 euros (33,000) fine if he loses the case.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2209121.stm

I can't even count the number of people I've met that attack Christianity as complete crap. I guess they should all be in jail...*sigh*

Perhaps Buchanan's anger may have been due to Canada recently resuming ties with Cuba or the Canadian govt. recently warning people from Middle Eastern countries against entering the US since they could potentially be in "trouble". I can see why this would piss off a lot of people and push extremists to an even further extreme. As a person of middle-eastern origin myself, I find it laughable that the liberals are spreading this massive lie that we're all being arrested, harassed and detained constantly. I don't know a single person being harassed by the government and I happen to know a lot of arabs with anti-US sentiment here. IN fact, I don't know a single Arab who hasn't criticized US policy in front of me.

Old 11-02-2002, 11:48 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by garibaldo
Has anyone seen Buchanan on MSNBC's Buchanan and Press? I guess he has had to tone it down, because I haven't seen him take the extreme right yet. I've only seen it a few times though.
I watch it almost everyday cos it's on when I have a break from class. He's not nearly as outrageous as he generally is.
Old 11-02-2002, 01:04 PM   #19
The Fly

It's funny that MSNBC puts Bill Press as Pat Buchanan's liberal complement

Shouldn't Bill Press be replaced by some crazy communist?

Better yet, shouldn't there be a disclaimer at the beginning of the show that states that Buchanan is an unrealistic portrayal of a common conservative and that political novices should not confuse him as such?
Old 11-02-2002, 02:17 PM   #20
Acrobat

Melon - Dr. Laura is indeed a doctor. She has a doctorate in physiology, which has no bearing on her career. It's just so she can actually call herself a doctor. It'd be like my dad trying to pass himself off as a psychiatrist since he has a doctorate in philosophy.
Old 11-02-2002, 04:12 PM   #21
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Not George Lucas
Melon - Dr. Laura is indeed a doctor. She has a doctorate in physiology, which has no bearing on her career. It's just so she can actually call herself a doctor. It'd be like my dad trying to pass himself off as a psychiatrist since he has a doctorate in philosophy.
Let's not call PhDs "doctors" anymore. It's insulting to physicians There are a lot of "easy" graduate programs (esp in the humanities). There's no easy medical school or residency program.
Old 11-02-2002, 04:30 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:19 PM
Hmm..."Dr." Laura must have slept through her physiology classes the way she passes off the concept of "mutation" in such a derogatory manner. But I guess that's what you get when you try and fuse religion into the whole mess...

Melon
Old 11-04-2002, 02:23 AM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 12:19 PM
I also seen the interview with Pat and i was uterly disgusted and pissed off. He also called Canadians 'whiners and freeloaders'. This man is absoulutly idiotic. He also said 'the little brother shouldnt be telling the big brother what to do' I'm sorry buddy but it wasnt our country that was attacked it was yours and good reasson we werent attacked, because not everyone hates us. We never trained the attackers how to fly, you did. We never let them into our country, you did. We didnt give Osama and the boys money years ago, you did. We did, however, let all the planes land in our country on 9/11. We did stand behind you in your war on terror. We did lose troops in the war on terror via your troops. We did speak out againist a policy that we seen as racial.

This whole finger printing all comes down to race. Period. People from Britian that come through Canada dont ahve to get finger printed, same with Aussies. Why not? Anyone heard of Richard Reid??

He also said we have been freeloading in relation to defense spending. Last time i checked we ahvent been attacked. We keep oursleves out of meeses and we keep very good relations with other countries.

Then Americans wonder why the rest of the world hates them. this man is a rep. for your country. If you dont think so then you should have him removed from radio and TV via boycotts and protesting. His shit is spewed all over th world and people, not rightfully, think this is the concensus.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:21 AM   #24
Acrobat

In any event, I would really like to see Pat Buchanan hit in the nuts repeatedly with the Sledgehammer of Love. Wait. Not Love. What's the word? Oh yeah. Doom.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:37 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Not George Lucas
In any event, I would really like to see Pat Buchanan hit in the nuts repeatedly with the Sledgehammer of Love. Wait. Not Love. What's the word? Oh yeah. Doom.
oh dear-
not sexy..
Old 11-04-2002, 01:32 PM   #26
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

oh dear-
not sexy..
Come on. That was damn sexy, and you know it.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:18 AM   #27
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
I also seen the interview with Pat and i was uterly disgusted and pissed off. He also called Canadians 'whiners and freeloaders'. This man is absoulutly idiotic. He also said 'the little brother shouldnt be telling the big brother what to do' I'm sorry buddy but it wasnt our country that was attacked it was yours and good reasson we werent attacked, because not everyone hates us. We never trained the attackers how to fly, you did. We never let them into our country, you did. We didnt give Osama and the boys money years ago, you did. We did, however, let all the planes land in our country on 9/11. We did stand behind you in your war on terror. We did lose troops in the war on terror via your troops. We did speak out againist a policy that we seen as racial.

This whole finger printing all comes down to race. Period. People from Britian that come through Canada dont ahve to get finger printed, same with Aussies. Why not? Anyone heard of Richard Reid??

He also said we have been freeloading in relation to defense spending. Last time i checked we ahvent been attacked. We keep oursleves out of meeses and we keep very good relations with other countries.

Then Americans wonder why the rest of the world hates them. this man is a rep. for your country. If you dont think so then you should have him removed from radio and TV via boycotts and protesting. His shit is spewed all over th world and people, not rightfully, think this is the concensus.
It's funny that you criticized Buchanan for calling you whiners and then immediately started whining! Hahaha...

"I'm sorry buddy but it wasnt our country that was attacked it was yours and good reasson we werent attacked, because not everyone hates us. We never trained the attackers how to fly, you did. We never let them into our country, you did. We didnt give Osama and the boys money years ago, you did. We did, however, let all the planes land in our country on 9/11. We did stand behind you in your war on terror. We did lose troops in the war on terror via your troops. We did speak out againist a policy that we seen as racial."

I'm sorry, but that seems like a whole lot of whining to me. I'm really getting sick of the whole "we deserved it" line from some of the more heartless liberals. Were the people who died on 9-11 responsible for bad foreign policy decisions in the cold war era? Why exactly did they deserve to die?

Then you actually criticize us for letting them in the country in the first place.
"We never let them into our country, you did."
We're categorizing certain nationalities as risk groups because the LARGE MAJORITY of terrorists who are trying to kill us right now are from these "risk groups". The reason those people were allowed in the country in the first place is mostly due to the fact that whiny liberals like yourself have prevented us from effectively examining the millions of immigrants that enter this country. Why don't you suggest a better way of narrowing down immigrants to find potential suspects? Until you can suggest a much better way of doing it, I suggest you stop complaining about who let who in their country. You can't have it both ways. Apparently you can whine about both ways.

Also, the entire world does not hate us. Why did hundreds of Haitains risk their lives trying to get here recently? Why do thousands of Mexicans risk incarceration crossing our borders? Why does nearly every country do business with us? Why is our immigration rate so high?

We don't try to silence Buchanan because we WANT to allow ideas that aren't considered mainstream no matter how disgusting we might find them (it's called freedom of speech, try it sometime).

All of the nineteen 9/11 hijackers and suicide bombers were young to middle aged Middle Eastern males. Since it is impossible to search everyone, simple logic decrees you spend your limited resources searching those who exhibit the highest probability of being the actual threat to society. This is not racial profiling. This is common sense. I'm of Iranian descent and I find it laughable that everytime I fly, they pull aside the worst candidates. Last time they practically strip searched an old Japanese woman with kids, two middle-aged black women and a very obese caucasian woman in her 30's. Why did they let me through? I have no idea. They should have opened my wallet, pulled out my Berkeley student ID and given me an anal search because I'm from Berkeley!
Hehehe... j/k.
The point is that the number of immigrants into this country or passengers flying daily (exceeding 10,000 daily) is far too large to examine. Simple logic dictates that if your purpose is to stop potential terrorists, you should look at the people who are most likely going to perpetrate these crimes. The whole idea behind a risk group is that isn't suggesting these people are the ONLY ones to commit these types of crimes. So, a couple strange exceptions to the rule don't negate the risk. If I do a study where a thousand people are taking tylenol and I look at the side-effects, do I focus on the one guy who gets a bigger headache and say that you can't make any claims about the drug because there is that one Richard Reid in the bunch who negates the results obtained with the other 999? Clearly not. You just have to realize that it's not 100% foolproof, but what security measure is 100% foolproof? I'd settle with 99% any day. It's a lot better than frisking old women and little children. The airlines and the American people need to step up to the plate and stop being cowards. You're more afraid of being labeled a racist by people who use that word too freely and would probably label you that way anyways without a care and you're not concerned enough about the potential deaths of thousands of innocent people. Anyone coming to this country or living within this country is incredibly lucky to be living here. Is it such a high price to pay to have someone search your luggage at the gate if that will prevent thousands from dying? Weren't you disgusted enough by the events of Sept. 11th that you'd be willing to put up with such a minor (and rare occurence for most middle-easterners who don't fly every week) inconvenience? How disgusting and self-absorbed do you have to be to put a minor inconvenience in your life over the lives of so many people? People have died for this country. Open their damn bags! Please open my bags! Take a good look inside!

Other points:
1. Stop focusing on tweezers or nail-clippers. I'd actually like to see a terrorist try and hold up a plane with tweezers.
2. Suspicious shift-eyed person? Guy with a militia cap on? Twitchy Richard Reid lookalikes? Those are people you should be focusing on too.
3. I'm in no way suggesting that we take actions against people of a certain ethnicity simply based on that criteria alone without proof that they've done something wrong. I'm saying that this is the first filter we should be using to narrow down the masses before looking at other factors. So, liberals, please don't give me the INEVITABLE comparison to Japanese internment camps.
Since there aren't many more ways to screen people other than appearance at an airport (at least none that I can think of and nothing that can be done by the morons who generally work there), I'd suggest sticking with the main risk group - Middle Eastern males within a certain age range and the other potential risk groups in point 2.
4. This type of profiling shouldn't be done 24/7 to every Middle-Easterner. It should be focused to certain situations (i.e. airports, large purchases of dangerous chemicals, people with ties to groups in the U.S. or outside the U.S. that spread a lot of anti-US hatred and propaganda, etc). Moreover, I support the actions of the waitress who overheard the Muslim students in Florida talking about 9-11 (part 2) if she truly heard them make those comments. It's likely that they were messing with an eavesdropping waitress, but I think she was right in what she did. We can't expect results with every search and profile. If they were messing with her then they deserved the negative press attention for using the events of 9-11 in such a way.

A good example of how preventing terrorists from gaining entry to the country seems to be working....
http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapc...aeda.pakistan/
Old 11-05-2002, 11:45 AM   #28
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by garibaldo

We don't try to silence Buchanan because we WANT to allow ideas that aren't considered mainstream no matter how disgusting we might find them (it's called freedom of speech, try it sometime).

1. Stop focusing on tweezers or nail-clippers. I'd actually like to see a terrorist try and hold up a plane with tweezers.
Wow, Garibaldo and I agree on at least two things! It's a magical day in the neighborhood!

How *do* you suppose a terrorist would hijack a plane with tweezers? In all seriousness, what kind of damage could you do with them?

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:02 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
How *do* you suppose a terrorist would hijack a plane with tweezers? In all seriousness, what kind of damage could you do with them?
They can pluck a pilot's nose hair, causing the pilot to tear-up - next thing you know they have control of the plane.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:17 PM   #30
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

They can pluck a pilot's nose hair, causing the pilot to tear-up - next thing you know they have control of the plane.
Wow! I never saw that angle. I take it back then