My God. Now we ARE living in a police state. (Literally). - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2005, 09:38 AM   #16
She's the One

Local Time: 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
Yes, but prohibiting teens from going into the mall without an adult is akin to prohibiting Muslims from flying on airplanes without a non-Muslim sponsor.
Nope. Teens are underage, and their parents are legally responsible for them. Big difference.

Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
Just as searching Muslim travellers at a higher rate (not exclusively) makes sense, it is also rational to station security guards more often at stores in the mall that attract large numbers of teens.
You'll start bitching about this if it happens to you.

But why not go one step further like this mall has? Nip the problem in the bud. Just don't let 'em in.

Old 07-23-2005, 10:32 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Old 07-23-2005, 12:01 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Nope. Teens are underage, and their parents are legally responsible for them. Big difference.

You'll start bitching about this if it happens to you.

But why not go one step further like this mall has? Nip the problem in the bud. Just don't let 'em in.
Haven't I said that I've been thrown out of stores before even though I technically didn't do anything wrong?

Yes, and let's not let Muslims ride airplanes at all! That'll get to the root of the problem!
Old 07-23-2005, 12:04 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:49 PM
Malls are funny postmodernist constructions, because they have the characteristics of a public place, but are actually privately owned and managed.

And probably if a mall decided that it no longer wanted minorities, it could do so legally. After all, the Boy Scouts were allowed to be bigoted, since they're a private organization.

Melon
Old 07-23-2005, 03:39 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 09:49 PM
FYI, yes, this is the entire weekend, day and night.

And like I said, I live across from this mall and am in and out of there all the time. I can personally attest that there was no teen problem, judging by the crowds. A bit noisy, but no conspicuous "mall rats." Maybe there was an incident in the parking lot, I don't know. I'd say there was mall security in front of those tables at the door, but there are actual police around in noticable droves. This took effect 2 wks ago, so it isn't a response to the headlines, security, etc.

Teens have been shopping in enclosed malls for decades. I did, back in my teen yrs in the 80's. What I see this is is part of a slow but steady crackdown in young peoples' rights. Why, I can't imagine. The crime rate always goes up signifgantly when there is a demographic increase in the teen polulation, but right now, society is aging, noticably. What warrants this drastic response? Moonlit Angel, bravo. You took the words right out of my mouth.

And to those accusing our teen responders of hypocrisy, my response is"You who are without sin, cast the first stone." Your response is standard procedure for those who are guilty themsleves. YOu are guilty of the very failures you accuse those who have the LEAST power in our society of addressing. It is the worst time ever to be under 21 in this country. I have a 19-yr old sister, and she fills me in. Since Columbine, and even before, we have delared virtual war on our young people, in every way, and if they someday rose up and took out their anger on their parents' generation once they rose to positions of political power, I wouldn't blame them. Most of their "sins" are a a big payback for 20 yrs of yuppie work schedules and dumping them in front of a computer. They need love, patience and understanding, not "quality time." We're already content to frig them over wheb it comes to Social Security, but so what? They've lazy slackers anyway, work would be good for them. RIGHT? As a whole, children today are being punished for the sins of a few. I won't go into how many rights have been stripped away....I don't know how you guys stand it. We've passed our "three strikes" laws, we've cut their college funding, we've made it all but impossible for most to get decent health insurance once they graduate, or pass 26 and are off their parent's plans

.But then, you didn't know the freedoms we had. And this is NOT a post-9/11 thing. I remember the late 90's. Before 9/11, Teen America was collectivily guilty until proven innocent.

So before you accuse teens of being apathetic, I say: off. I don't notice YOU protesting for minorityrights either. YOu're too busy arresting teens for wearing certain colors or T-shirts slogans in school.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:34 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Because it is impossible, does that mean nothing should be done, however?
Something should indeed be done: let teens go there at any times of the day when the mall is open, and if an employee sees a teenager causing trouble, then they should deal with that teenager and that teenager only, notify their parents and then the parents can also decide on an appropriate punishment for their child. That way, the people who commit crimes get the punishment they deserve, and the rest of the teenagers, who've done nothing wrong, can go about their business and enjoy their time in the mall.

Also, thanks, Teta. Glad you agree .

Angela
Old 07-23-2005, 05:40 PM   #22
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Teta040

And to those accusing our teen responders of hypocrisy, my response is"You who are without sin, cast the first stone." Your response is standard procedure for those who are guilty themsleves. YOu are guilty of the very failures you accuse those who have the LEAST power in our society of addressing. It is the worst time ever to be under 21 in this country.

.But then, you didn't know the freedoms we had. And this is NOT a post-9/11 thing. I remember the late 90's. Before 9/11, Teen America was collectivily guilty until proven innocent.

So before you accuse teens of being apathetic, I say: off. I don't notice YOU protesting for minorityrights either. YOu're too busy arresting teens for wearing certain colors or T-shirts slogans in school.
I'm not sure who this was addressed to because all the posts here have been on the side of teens' rights.

I was making a different point to VertigoGal, which she was getting just fine.