"My god is true, your god is false"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
deep said:

please keep God

I like God

come on

give my question a try?

No, I think that matters.

Honestly, if the Bible still existed with Christ's teachings, I think I'd still follow them because I have found them beneficial in my life. If you're asking this to see if I'd just go crazy and "sin," I don't know if I would if there was a God. I'm not a Christian simply so I can go to heaven, I'm a Christian because I want a relationship with God. Plus, for me, that relationship has helped me lead the life I was meant to live.

If there was no God, no Bible and no afterlife, I think I'd still try to be a good person in my own mind, but I know I personally would've made a lot of mistakes and hurt people more.

Yep, let's get right on it. The government should hire interference moderators to take care of it. They're awesome banners.

coemgen said:

No, I think that matters.

Honestly, if the Bible still existed with Christ's teachings, I think I'd still follow them because I have found them beneficial in my life. If you're asking this to see if I'd just go crazy and "sin," I don't know if I would if there was a God. I'm not a Christian simply so I can go to heaven, I'm a Christian because I want a relationship with God. Plus, for me, that relationship has helped me lead the life I was meant to live.

If there was no God, no Bible and no afterlife, I think I'd still try to be a good person in my own mind, but I know I personally would've made a lot of mistakes and hurt people more.

I think the initial question is only about "no afterlife"?:eyebrow:

I want to know as well. Because I'm not religious either.:wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

What about my gay buddhist friends?

They covered by the Buddha, and Buddha doesn't think gay is unnatural or wrong, so no worries.

If Buddhas had a fight with the christian god, who would win? :shifty:

butter7 said:

I think the initial question is only about "no afterlife"?:eyebrow:

I want to know as well. Because I'm not religious either.:wink:

I know, I just think afterlife, God and the Bible are connected. For one, God inspired the Bible and it talks about an after life. You see what I'm saying? However, their could still be a God and no afterlife. Then, of course, he'd just be creating us to die.

coemgen said:
However, their could still be a God and no afterlife. Then, of course, he'd just be creating us to die.

Or to live a fair and hopefully decent 75 years or so....

coemgen said:

I think you sell yourself and people, in general, short.

I am one who was once a "believer".
and now call myself a "doubter"

I consider myself a much more ethical person with better behavior now because I do not live for some other imaginary time and reward

my choices today matter for today and have consequences now

I am choosing to do what is right for the immediate reward of inner peace, harmony, my own self respect and to give comfort to others

I no longer ponder some other reward

I say I am a "doubter"
There may be something behind the curtain, believing it or not believing it will not change the outcome

Some day the curtain will be pulled back

In the meantime
I will not miss this life
dreaming and hoping for what may be behind the curtain

the curtain has no power over me

I choose to have power over my own life, now.

Last edited:
coemgen said:

I know, I just think afterlife, God and the Bible are connected. For one, God inspired the Bible and it talks about an after life. You see what I'm saying? However, their could still be a God and no afterlife. Then, of course, he'd just be creating us to die.

So...the point is that people just don't want to die then?:shrug:

I mean, it's more than just one afterlife created by the christian god, there's many other religions have the afterlife thing too...

What do you think of them?

And also religions with no afterlife...

I just feel confused with so many different belives.

deep said:

I consider myself a much more ethical person with better behavior now because I do not live for some other imaginary time and reward

my choices today matter for today and have consequences now

I am choosing to what is right for the immediate reward or inner peace, harmony, my own self respect and to give comfort to others

I no longer ponder some other reward

I say I am a "doubter"
There may be something behind the curtain, believing it or not believing it will not change the outcome

Some day the curtain will be pull back

In the meantime
I will not miss this life
dreaming and hoping for what may be behind the curtain

the curtain has no power over me

I choose to have power over my own life, now.

The thing is, I live my life the same way. I don't think of getting a reward down the road or even heaven. I can't earn heaven. I'll get there because I've already accepted Christ as the cure for my sins. I'm glad I don't have to think of earning heaven because I don't think my heart would be in the right place. God was wise in not making it about what we do -- it'd just be built in selfishness.
Because of this, I'm like you in that I'm choosing to do what is right for inner peace, harmony, self respect and to give comfort to others.

Because I'm not living for a reward or heaven, I think life's much more simple. I'm working on a project with my pastor and he told me he's considering simplifying things in our communication pieces. He's thinking of changing our tag line to "Love God. Love people. Serve the world."

That's how I try to live and it's even very Biblical in how Christians should live in general.

It all starts with the relationship with God though. That's what I want. I want his love, his guidance in my life, his forgiveness, his mercy, his power and his help. I desire him daily. I want the life that he intended for me and he reveals his will for me through the Bible, prayer and other Christians. It's been quite a wonderful life -- even with the insane amount of challenges.

My question to you to ponder on is what if there is a God behind the curtain?

deep said:
If you knew that at your physical death, there would be no after life, do you think you might make different choices now?

I wouldn't go to Church, but really that's about it.

I believe in karma, so that belief would probably be questioned as well. I've never believed God was involved in every earthly action though.

Other than that, not particularly.

coemgen said:

My question to you to ponder on is what if there is a God behind the curtain?

My hope is that he is there
and I will be reunited with my departed loved ones.

But I don't dwell on it
or count on it.

All that would do
is rob me of living life in the here and now, sharing with my loved ones and others.

popsadie said:
Pretty much everything else in the bible I have been able to find a logic to. I admit that I struggle with the logic against homosexuality. It isn't a brutal act and it isn't an inherently selfish act. It doesn't seem to violate the "love God and one another" that Jesus said summed up the ten commandments. The dietary laws in the OT make sense and the ten commandments all make sense. Still, I believe that if I am going to say that I believe in the bible, I have reconcile in someway even the beliefs that don't seem logical.

The problem, though, is that your entire argument here is predicated on the notion that St. Paul actually condemns homosexuality, when he does not. This point is clear enough, from a scholarship POV, that the footnotes of a Catholic Bible actually say so.

"Do you not know that the unjust will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators nor idolaters nor adulterers nor boy prostitutes (Greek: "malakos") nor sodomites (Greek: "arsenokoitai") nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God." - 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

This is not a description of modern homosexuality. It is a description of an archaic Greco-Roman practice known as "pederasty," where a male adult would have sexual relations with a male youth until he reached adulthood, whereupon the relationship would be severed and the former youth would marry a woman. The relationship was not loving, but, instead, exploitative and forced against the youth's will. The Catholic footnotes I referred to corroborate this interpretation:

The Greek word translated as boy prostitutes may refer to catamites, i.e., boys or young men who were kept for purposes of prostitution, a practice not uncommon in the Greco-Roman world. In Greek mythology this was the function of Ganymede, the "cupbearer of the gods," whose Latin name was Catamitus. The term translated Sodomites refers to adult males who indulged in homosexual practices with such boys. See similar condemnations of such practices in Romans 1:26-27; 1 Tim 1:10.

Do take notice of that Paul's other supposedly anti-gay passages in Romans and 1 Timothy are also referenced in the footnotes as referring to archaic practices that have nothing to do with modern homosexuality.

Romans 1:26-27, in particular, describes a Greco-Roman pagan temple orgy, and, in this instance, was written to horrify the Jewish Christian audience he was trying to convert to Gentile Christianity. However, Paul used this passage as a setup to the point he was ultimately trying to drive across in Romans 2:

"Therefore, you are without excuse, every one of you who passes judgment. For by the standard by which you judge another you condemn yourself, since you, the judge, do the very same things." - Romans 2:1

Paul was, essentially, condemning the self-righteousness of his audience, and, again, used the chapter to set up another point:

"All who sin outside the law will also perish without reference to it, and all who sin under the law will be judged in accordance with it. For it is not those who hear the law who are just in the sight of God; rather, those who observe the law will be justified." - Romans 2:12-13

The Jewish Christian audience of Rome would have interpreted "the law" as referring to Mosaic Law. And Paul has a habit of being purposely ambiguous (this "ambiguity" trick was later played in the Gentile Christian revision of the originally Jewish Christian Gospel of Matthew), so he can drive his ultimate point towards the end of his epistle.

"Owe nothing to anyone, except to love one another; for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. The commandments, 'You shall not commit adultery; you shall not kill; you shall not steal; you shall not covet,' and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this saying, (namely) 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'" - Romans 13:8-10

And here's where he ensnares his audience once and for all. "The law" is defined as "love one another." In short, those who fixate on that verse in Romans 1 is completely missing the message of this epistle, and has nothing to do with modern homosexuality.

You rightfully understand the nuance with Paul's verse that forbids women to instruct over men. Where conservative Christianity's prejudices bear its ugly head is in its steadfast refusal to understand the specific circumstances and nuance behind the supposedly anti-gay passages. They are, both in the OT and NT, condemnations of archaic sexual practices, either in terms of abusive pederasty or idolatrous pagan temple orgies--both of which were completely devoid of any love or meaningful affection. As such, any insistence that the Bible condemns "homosexuality," as understood in a modern context, is completely incorrect.

In many ways, this brings me back to "scientific Thomism," as this is the basis upon which the Roman Catholic Church condemns modern homosexuality, not the Bible. Vatican officials have expressed this openly in the past, and, as such, that's why a homophobic religion like Catholicism has not shied away from modern Biblical scholarship. I find it very unfortunate that the Vatican insists on clinging to this pseudoscience, rather than relying on the spirit of philosophical Thomism to accept the advances of modern science in its entirety.

Unfortunately, as we have seen throughout history, many ancient institutions are "tradition-stubborn." And, equally unfortunately, most conservative Protestants are "tradition-stubborn" on the issue of their Biblical translations, which are riddled with mistranslations.

As such, as I've stated before, "Biblically-based Christians" cannot use the Bible to condemn homosexuality, if they interpret the Bible correctly. This also solves your logic struggle, as well, as condemnations of abusive or idolatrous pagan sexual practices are fully in keeping with "love God and love one another."

deep said:

My hope is that he is there
and I will be reunited with my departed loved ones.

But I don't dwell on it
or count on it.

All that would do
is rob me of living life in the here and now, sharing with my loved ones and others.

How though? I don't understand how it would rob you of life in the here and now and not let you share life with your loved ones.

Question for everyone:

If God exists, do you think all living forms - humans, animals, plants, are equal to God or not?:hmm:

Another question is for believers, if you believe that God did created the world and such, who created God?

Ormus said:

In short, those who fixate on that verse in Romans 1 is completely missing the message of this epistle, and has nothing to do with modern homosexuality.

You rightfully understand the nuance with Paul's verse that forbids women to instruct over men. Where conservative Christianity's prejudices bear its ugly head is in its steadfast refusal to understand the specific circumstances and nuance behind the supposedly anti-gay passages. They are, both in the OT and NT, condemnations of archaic sexual practices, either in terms of abusive pederasty or idolatrous pagan temple orgies--both of which were completely devoid of any love or meaningful affection. As such, any insistence that the Bible condemns "homosexuality," as understood in a modern context, is completely incorrect.

In many ways, this brings me back to "scientific Thomism," as this is the basis upon which the Roman Catholic Church condemns modern homosexuality, not the Bible. Vatican officials have expressed this openly in the past, and, as such, that's why a homophobic religion like Catholicism has not shied away from modern Biblical scholarship. I find it very unfortunate that the Vatican insists on clinging to this pseudoscience, rather than relying on the spirit of philosophical Thomism to accept the advances of modern science in its entirety.

Unfortunately, as we have seen throughout history, many ancient institutions are "tradition-stubborn." And, equally unfortunately, most conservative Protestants are "tradition-stubborn" on the issue of their Biblical translations, which are riddled with mistranslations.

As such, as I've stated before, "Biblically-based Christians" cannot use the Bible to condemn homosexuality, if they interpret the Bible correctly. This also solves your logic struggle, as well, as condemnations of abusive or idolatrous pagan sexual practices are fully in keeping with "love God and love one another."

:up:

butter7 said:
Question for everyone:

If God exists, do you think all living forms - humans, animals, plants, are equal to God or not?:hmm:

Another question is for believers, if you believe that God did created the world and such, who created God?

Great questions, butter7.

I don't think humans, animals and plants are equal to God. If that were true, they'd all be a God. I think we should respect and take care of all aspects of God's creation though for their well-being and to show honor to God, too.

The Bible teaches that God has no beginning and end. Of course, that's hard for our human minds to understand because everything has a beginning and end. However, this is God who exists outside the natural world and confines of time. If God is, in fact, God, it makes sense. (to me at least)

coemgen said:

Great questions, butter7.

I don't think humans, animals and plants are equal to God. If that were true, they'd all be a God. I think we should respect and take care of all aspects of God's creation though for their well-being and to show honor to God, too.

The Bible teaches that God has no beginning and end. Of course, that's hard for our human minds to understand because everything has a beginning and end. However, this is God who exists outside the natural world and confines of time. If God is, in fact, God, it makes sense. (to me at least)

The bible explaination does make sense, as long as people follow the bible logics. However, I had loads of questions for this religion that I don't have for others. Because, for me, sometimes the logics are very tricky. For example...

For a believer, how do you view the gods that people in other religions worship? Are they true, or are they false? I mean, if the afterlife does exist, are these people going to hell for worship a wrong God or something the bible could say it's evil?

If the answer is yes, then this religions in it's nature, segregate people by religions. But if the answer is no, well, it's not what the bible said, as far as I know...

So what is the right answer? :huh:

butter7 said:

The bible explaination does make sense, as long as people follow the bible logics. However, I had loads of questions for this religion that I don't have for others. Because, for me, sometimes the logics are very tricky. For example...

For a believer, how do you view the gods that people in other religions worship? Are they true, or are they false? I mean, if the afterlife does exist, are these people going to hell for worship a wrong God or something the bible could say it's evil?

If the answer is yes, then this religions in it's nature, segregate people by religions. But if the answer is no, well, it's not what the bible said, as far as I know...

So what is the right answer? :huh:

That's another great question. I'm not sure I can fully answer it as well as others, but I'd have to say you have to start with the understanding that God is just. Justice is at the core of who he is, along with love. Then you have to consider that God knows our hearts -- each of us. He knows our desires, our struggles, our pains, our dark sides. He also knows if we're truly seeking him, ignoring or avoiding him, or if we just don't care. I would have to think he takes all of this into consideration. Then, he comes down in enemy occupied territory and down to our level, and becomes one of us. He lives the life we live, but lives it right or in a "righteous" way. He doesn't sin, and he can only do this because he's fully God and fully man. He lives a perfect life, makes claims to be the Son of God and is sentenced to death for blasphemy. Funny how the religious leaders of the day killed the savior they were looking for -- he just didn't fit their idea of the savior. So the perfect life comes to an end . . . and then rises again. Death -- the result of sin -- is conquered. And it's done so by a being who lived the perfect life -- this is why he's called the Lamb of God. In the olden days, a "spotless" lamb was slottered to atone for one's sin. Blood had to be spilled since death was the price. Christ became God's spotless lamb, whose blood wasn't spilled for his sins, because he is holy and can't sin, but for our's. Before he died, Christ said "I am the way, the truth and the life. Nobody gets to the Father but by me." Now if you think about it, if God came down here and did what he did in the person of Christ, died this brutal death and then conquered death that he would just allow us to worship another God or allow us to take another way to him or to heaven? Being a just God, and considering the weight of his actions in an attempt to reach out to us and provide us a way to beat sin and death ourselves, I don't think he would. Now, is the person who doesn't worship God through Christ going to hell. The common question is what about the person living in the jungles who's never heard of Christ? The answer is I don't know. I can't know. None of us really can. However, given God's track record, he's doing everything he can to reach them, too. One way is he calls Christians to spread the Gospel to the ends of the earth. Where we fail to do this, I have to believe he still reaches their heart in some way, meets them where they're at like the rest of us and is just and fair in his judgement.

I know that's a long answer, but it's a big, important topic too. :wink:

Melon/Ormus, do you have any recommended reading on this subject (Paul, interpretations of scripture seeming to but not actually condemning homosexuality, how it doesn't line up with the idea of modern homosexuality, etc.)?

coemgen said:

That's another great question. I'm not sure I can fully answer it as well as others, but I'd have to say you have to start with the understanding that God is just. Justice is at the core of who he is, along with love. Then you have to consider that God knows our hearts -- each of us. He knows our desires, our struggles, our pains, our dark sides. He also knows if we're truly seeking him, ignoring or avoiding him, or if we just don't care. I would have to think he takes all of this into consideration. Then, he comes down in enemy occupied territory and down to our level, and becomes one of us. He lives the life we live, but lives it right or in a "righteous" way. He doesn't sin, and he can only do this because he's fully God and fully man. He lives a perfect life, makes claims to be the Son of God and is sentenced to death for blasphemy. Funny how the religious leaders of the day killed the savior they were looking for -- he just didn't fit their idea of the savior. So the perfect life comes to an end . . . and then rises again. Death -- the result of sin -- is conquered. And it's done so by a being who lived the perfect life -- this is why he's called the Lamb of God. In the olden days, a "spotless" lamb was slottered to atone for one's sin. Blood had to be spilled since death was the price. Christ became God's spotless lamb, whose blood wasn't spilled for his sins, because he is holy and can't sin, but for our's. Before he died, Christ said "I am the way, the truth and the life. Nobody gets to the Father but by me." Now if you think about it, if God came down here and did what he did in the person of Christ, died this brutal death and then conquered death that he would just allow us to worship another God or allow us to take another way to him or to heaven? Being a just God, and considering the weight of his actions in an attempt to reach out to us and provide us a way to beat sin and death ourselves, I don't think he would. Now, is the person who doesn't worship God through Christ going to hell. The common question is what about the person living in the jungles who's never heard of Christ? The answer is I don't know. I can't know. None of us really can. However, given God's track record, he's doing everything he can to reach them, too. One way is he calls Christians to spread the Gospel to the ends of the earth. Where we fail to do this, I have to believe he still reaches their heart in some way, meets them where they're at like the rest of us and is just and fair in his judgement.

I know that's a long answer, but it's a big, important topic too. :wink:

thank you coemgen for your reply.

So I guess according to your answer, the qeustion is yes, then. christianity does segregate people by their religions believes. The only one who does not, is God. But for ordinary people, they do, because they have to.

What amazed me is that similar explainations were provided by people from other religions to me, when I asked the believers. It's interesting to know all of these because I basically come from a culture background that believes all the gods are the same, all living things, human, animal, plants are all equal to gods, therefore religion itself has no actual meaning at all.

It's indeed a very interesting discussion topic.

If God is how you say he is, disagreeing with homosexuality...
then he is a God that I will not follow.

I will stand by that statement until the day I stand before God at the gates of heaven. IF God turns away a gay person I will turn away and turn my back to the God I once believed in.

And I'm not a homosexual.

absintheminded said:
If God is how you say he is, disagreeing with homosexuality...
then he is a God that I will not follow.

I will stand by that statement until the day I stand before God at the gates of heaven. IF God turns away a gay person I will turn away and turn my back to the God I once believed in.

And I'm not a homosexual.

Based on Ormus' post, it seems that there's a good argument to say that homosexuality is not condemned by God.

AttnKleinkind said:
Melon/Ormus, do you have any recommended reading on this subject (Paul, interpretations of scripture seeming to but not actually condemning homosexuality, how it doesn't line up with the idea of modern homosexuality, etc.)?

I don't have any specific texts that I can recommend. Much of this is the end result of years of theological self-study from sources that seem too numerous to count.

Part of the problem is that this is an emerging study in theology, and a lot of the more visible and media-friendly historians in this study still make the errors of trying to apply a modern relevance to archaic practices or are so "liberal" in their Christianity that they get academically sloppy and start glossing over certain verses with a sweeping "the OT was fulfilled by Christ, so it doesn't matter anymore."

A lot of it ends up boiling down to the linguistic evidence, an understanding of the ancient history and customs of the Romans, Greeks, Persians, and various Semitic tribes that leave a considerable mark on the worldview of Israel, an understanding of the evolution of how the Bible has been translated over the centuries, and how Christianity (Roman Catholicism, in particular) has evolved historically and the various philosophies involved.

Anyway, I'll do some thinking on your request here, and if anything comes to mind, I'll make sure to let you know.

butter7 said:

thank you coemgen for your reply.

So I guess according to your answer, the qeustion is yes, then. christianity does segregate people by their religions believes. The only one who does not, is God. But for ordinary people, they do, because they have to.

What amazed me is that similar explainations were provided by people from other religions to me, when I asked the believers. It's interesting to know all of these because I basically come from a culture background that believes all the gods are the same, all living things, human, animal, plants are all equal to gods, therefore religion itself has no actual meaning at all.

It's indeed a very interesting discussion topic.

Yes, all religions are very different. To say they all lead to "the same god" would be a false statement. Some believe in many Gods. Some don't believe in a God. Some don't believe you can interact personally with God. Then there's Christ, who is God incarnate. That's Christianity. It is interesting stuff though. And as far as God claiming only one way, it depends on who you talk to. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom