"My god is true, your god is false" - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2007, 01:28 AM   #301
War Child

Local Time: 08:04 AM
Popsadie, you still didn't answer my question.

How did you know he/she is the God of Christianity?

You can't convince me by tell me that "I know it is, I know it by heart".

To prove something is true, evidence is essential. And to define the word evidence, it must be a piece of subject. Things like: "I'm Brad Pitt's girlfriend, because I had sex with him last night in my dream", would not be acceptable. So doesn;t any literature written by mankind, which include the bible.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:40 AM   #302
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:04 PM
Ok...I prayed to the Christian God for a healing and received one. I prayed to the Christian God to reveal him/herself to me and the next week six Christians asked me about my faith unprompted. I have prayed for guidance and received it through Christian friends, unprompted, the next day. I could also go into reading the OT and seeing the gospels fulfill the OT. This is how. The matter remains that a relationship with God is one of faith, not scientific proof. Like Bono says...what you don't know you can feel it somehow...faith is instinct and I believe God does speak to us through what might be termed as intuition.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:52 AM   #303
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by popsadie
Ok...I prayed to the Christian God for a healing and received one. I prayed to the Christian God to reveal him/herself to me and the next week six Christians asked me about my faith unprompted. I have prayed for guidance and received it through Christian friends, unprompted, the next day. I could also go into reading the OT and seeing the gospels fulfill the OT. This is how. The matter remains that a relationship with God is one of faith, not scientific proof. Like Bono says...what you don't know you can feel it somehow...faith is instinct and I believe God does speak to us through what might be termed as intuition.
Well, I'm glad you could get the help you needed.

But just like I said, you still couldn't prove it is the Christian God who answered it, or even prevent these events been explained as coincidence, pure luck, or the sympathy from the Gods from other religions.

I might have to note you that not all religions require you strictly to worship the God(s) to receive the help.

And for the Bono quote, he said he could feel it, but he did not say that he's feeling is correct. Plus, Bono is not God, he knows no better than you do.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:57 AM   #304
Acrobat

The Christian God was the only one I knew to address. He was the only one who promised forgiveness for sin. He was the only one who said that if you followed him, you would have the power to do things that seemed impossible..including forgiving my father. These are not qualities of Buddhist or Islamic gods.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:04 AM   #305
War Child

Quote:
The Christian God was the only one I knew to address. He was the only one who promised forgiveness for sin. He was the only one who said that if you followed him, you would have the power to do things that seemed impossible..including forgiving my father. These are not qualities of Buddhist or Islamic gods.
Okay, according to the first sentence, your're saying that this God is the only God you know, because you've never heard or researched or try to understand the other Gods? Because if you did, you wouldn't say the rest of the post.

Well, we believed the sun is revolving around the earth once. But we were terribly wrong, because of our ignorance.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:08 AM   #306
Acrobat

I am afraid that I will not be able to give the answer you want to hear. Again, I could talk about my discoveries regarding Old Testament prophecies that were fulfilled, or what happened after I prayed to the Christian God, but they wouldn't prove anything to you. Again, over and over, Christians are told that the Kingdom of Heaven is one of faith, not scientific proof. I believe in Christianity because it was the only one I knew of when I sought God...or probably more accurately....he sought me. Out of the faiths that I do know of...the Judeo Christian god makes the most sense to me....and I truly believe that he has "spoke" to me through scriptures, other Christians, and my own intuition.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:10 AM   #307
Acrobat

This was 10 years ago. Since then, I have learned more about other religions. That is why I used the past tense of know...knew.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:25 AM   #308
War Child

Quote:
This was 10 years ago. Since then, I have learned more about other religions. That is why I used the past tense of know...knew.
I don't want you to get me wrong. I hope everyone would have a great life, which is this life, not the promised one. And I couldn't say it's a bad thing that you could have a deep faith in something, even I don't actually believe in what you believe.

The tricky thing is I always have an open mind for religions, even I don't actually believe in any of them, I always ask the believers to tell me about what they believe, just for understanding and cultural issue. However, the Christian teaching is the one who makes the least sense to me.

BTW

Two questions to test how much you knew about other religions:

1. If one person believe in Taosim, what the highest level of attainment?

2. If one person believe in Mahayana buddhism, what the highest level of attainment? How it different from Theravada buddhism?
Old 06-07-2007, 02:27 AM   #309
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

that's a total cop out.

you cannot refer to the bible as the literal word of Jesus. it's intellectually bogus to do so.

what does your intellect tell you?
No, I think that's a total cop out. It's completely black and white. You can't interpret it differently. Plus, it goes along with the idea that he wouldn't die and rise again so we can chose another way. he created the way through Christ. To allow another way makes the sacrifice invalid.

That's what my intellect tells me.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:28 AM   #310
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

How can you dare to assume to know about what Christ meant, said, felt, or intended?
because it's as plain as day. read it for yourself. not all of the Bible has to be taken for a deeper meaning. a lot of it is very easy to undestand and is written in black and white language.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:32 AM   #311
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

talking about people you don't know

people you don't associate with

people you can not possibly have any understanding about

just making up things and telling stories that are not grounded in any reality

is bearing false witness against your neighbor
Are you implying I'm bearing false witness?

How can you say that?
Old 06-07-2007, 02:33 AM   #312
Acrobat

actually coemgan...i think he was implying that I was.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:34 AM   #313
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

what is "intellecually unsound" is taking Jesus, word-for-word, as if he were caught on camera by a documentary film crew, and by trusting the ENGLISH translation of the bible more than you trust your own faculties.

you've also missed the point of a single moment of awareness. that seems to have already passed for you. now, it's be the best student in class. only an "A" gets you salvation.
Why don't you tell us what he really said when he said "I am the way, the truth and the life. Nobody gets to the father but by me."?

And what's this best student in the class crap? only an "A" gets you salvation? that's silly.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:35 AM   #314
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
actually coemgan...i think he was implying that I was.
yeah, but he asked me how seriously I take that commandment.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:39 AM   #315
Acrobat

well I guess we have both been accused...