My friends Random Rant on Religion and the US - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2006, 03:45 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:51 PM
My friends Random Rant on Religion and the US

i kinda think (keyword kinda meaning not positvely sure) but the U.S wants democracy acroos the globe other than oil and resorces and all that. i believe that but who says democracy is what we should have, meaning we were raised with rights and freedoms some weren't in other countries. the bible says...and i can show you in any bible you want me to, that females are supposed to serve man, learn in silence and never hold high positions in society and especially never preech the word, you see all of that here in the U.S but none of that in the Islamic countries because one has the bible and the other has the Coran which both derived by the Torah written by Abraham

He does not feel like signing up so please give me your opinions.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:51 AM
I'm going to be good and not even touch that one. Excuse me while I go bang my head against the wall.

Old 10-10-2006, 05:47 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

OK, done headbanging. I'm assuming your friend believes possibly the country should be run on an interpretation of Biblical (specifically Paulist) directives. Does he believe that a democracy is conflictive with the Bible then? Does he wish a Christian theocracy here? Particularly a Christian theocracy that marginalizes women since that seems to be his highest concern?
I'm not providing an opinion. Just asking for clarification.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Here is the Thing he is Atheist. And for some reason he just started this rant while I was chatting with him on Yahoo Messenger.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

From My friend.

"i think we as a country shouldn't judge them in the middle east because of there religious views because what is normal to our society may not be normal to there's, out "norms" differ between time and place one of the rules of sociology. a society is based on norms, values and a dominant culture such as religion"
Old 10-10-2006, 06:08 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Atheist? Why is this a concern of his then? Poor you, in the middle here.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:09 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I told him that his rant made absolutly no sense. heheh
Old 10-10-2006, 06:12 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Old 10-10-2006, 06:13 PM   #9
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:51 AM
Well, I don't think we ought to be invading countries simply on the grounds that they're undemocratic and/or formally bar women from positions of power, so I suppose to that extent I agree with your friend. Other than that though, it sounds to me like he's making religious law out to be more innately confining and stagnant than it actually is. For example, there is nothing in Jewish law explicitly barring women from positions of power. It is true that the pattern of religious duties which devolve specifically on Jewish women, compared to those which devolve specifically on men, clearly reflect a society of origin in which the going assumption was that a woman would be devoted to raising a family, period. But Jewish law does not actually require that, and so the Orthodox position that (for example) women cannot be rabbis is in fact based on tradition, not Jewish law. I don't know what the case is with Islamic law, but it's certainly not universal in countries which incorporate Islamic law into their Constitutions that women can't hold political office or work outside the home. So clearly there is room for change there, and every reason for us to encourage that by peaceful means.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 10-10-2006, 06:27 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:51 AM
Re: My friends Random Rant on Religion and the US

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
the bible says...and i can show you in any bible you want me to, that females are supposed to serve man, learn in silence and never hold high positions in society and especially never preech the word...

He does not feel like signing up so please give me your opinions.
Confining my thoughts on your atheist friend's troll-like sentiments to the role of women in the church, since he can't be bothered to post in the forum himself, I'm curious to know if your friend -- who seems eager to tar all Christians with the same brush -- has actually read the Bible he so casually speaks of? Specifically, the book of Esther? The book of Ruth? The story of Deborah in Judges? Of Mary, the mother of Jesus, in the NT? Of Priscilla, wife of Aquila and generally regarded as one of the most significant women of the early church (and perhaps the author of the book of Hebrews)? Of Mary, the mother of John Mark, who in all likelihood bankrolled the first church in Jerusalem? Of Lidia, whose entrepreneurialism and faith paved the way for early Christians in Europe? Of the women who gathered at Jesus' cross while the men fled? Of Dorcas, the first person raised from the dead after Jesus? Of Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist, who had more faith than her husband? And that's only thinking off the top of my head.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:38 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:51 AM
I'm having trouble understanding what the question/issue is here....

Is your friend complaining about Christians? or Muslims?

He doesn't seem to have a very good grasp of the Bible (ie. what's important and what's not) or the context of the passages he's referring to.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Thats what I was trying to figure out. He just went on some random spout
Old 10-10-2006, 06:44 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Ah, you weren't asking us to answer his questions. Just figuring out whether we thought he made any sense.

No.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:50 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

hahah. Thank You. He said how people are dumb and gullibale for believing a fake person. How the info in Loosechange.com is what really happened on 9/11. etc.... More and more mummble jumble
Old 10-10-2006, 06:51 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Can I have just a little bit of what he is smoking?