My friends Random Rant on Religion and the US - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2006, 12:17 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:40 PM
From my friend again.

Quote:
o.k, i'm gonna shut you up Justin and all the other people that doubt me look this up:

1 Corinthians 14:34

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law".

1 Timothy 2:11-14

11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

1 Corinthians 14:29-36

29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.

31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

36 What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?

YOU HAPPY DAMMIT..LOL.. check thses scripyures with any Cristian bible (King James, the most famous one).

thank you!!!!

Old 10-11-2006, 12:45 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:40 PM
While we´re talking about this, I think that if the president of the US has the power to launch a war that will "liberate" my country than I should be able to vote for the US president candidate of my choice.,

Old 10-11-2006, 02:23 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:40 PM
Justin, what is his issue with these passages? I'm not seeing what the question is here...

I don't know as much about the Gospels as others here, but it was my understanding that when the church leaders were giving these commands, it was because they were establishing a common ground between two cultures. I may have these backwards, but I believe one culture was only monogamous, but allowed both men and women to be church leaders; the other culture was polygamous AND monogamous, but ONLY allowed men to be leaders. In an effort to become more unified and move beyond cultural disputes, the decision was that the church would support monogamy and men as leaders, kind of a compromise.

But, since I have no clue what point your friend is trying to make, I can't really relate this to his posts, other than to say that Christianity was not founded on compromises between cultures but on the examples set by Christ himself. Christ did not treat women as subordinate.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:04 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I agree with you.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:11 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
I agree with you.
On what? I still don't get what the issue is with your friend. What I stated regarding the Bible verses he's quoting is common knowledge. If he disagrees, he needs to take more Bible study or something.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:19 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I agree with you on him not being clear enough on his subject matter
Old 10-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:40 AM
From the NT (again, off the top of my head):

" 'In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.'" ~ Acts 2:17 (Peter's first sermon)

"I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deaconess of the church in Cenchrea." ~ Romans 16:1 (Paul's letter to the church in Rome)

"Deacons, likewise, are to be men worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine, and not pursuing dishonest gain. They must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience. They must first be tested; and then if there is nothing against them, let them serve as deacons. In the same way, deaconesses are to be women worthy of respect, not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything." ~ 1 Timothy 3 (Paul's letter)

"I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche to agree with each other in the Lord. Yes, and I ask you, loyal yokefellow, help these women who have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life." ~ Phil. 4:2-3

Pretty clear here that women operated with at least some level of authority in churches Paul supervised, and that he approved of it. There is a huge difference between Paul addressing specific problems in the Corinthian church and laying down laws that all churches were/are to follow.