My Flag - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2004, 05:08 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

Yeah, at one point my "location" was Ayasofia Museum, Istanbul! I don't know how many people thought I was a Turk! For the record, I'm completely Scotch-Irish.
I forgot to say that my nationality is American!!

Old 11-16-2004, 10:30 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 04:49 AM
I'm mostly Irish, at least 90% by blood, I'm a tiny bit Scotish, Dutch and French as well. I may even have a little bit of Native American blood running through me. My nationality is American.

Old 11-16-2004, 11:33 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:49 AM
Interesting how we use nationality interchangeably for heritage and citizenship.

IMHO, we have essentially lost track of what our citizenship means and its value.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:37 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Interesting how we use nationality interchangeably for heritage and citizenship.

IMHO, we have essentially lost track of what our citizenship means and its value.
I would say this depends on what your nationality and heritage are. If you are, like the starter of this thread, half-American and half-Turkish, half of you is a resident of a young country with a democratic heritage and not a heck of alot of tradition, and half of you is a part of an ancient culture going back eons that's got tons of tradition and folklore. That's quite a contrast to come to grips to.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:45 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

I would say this depends on what your nationality and heritage are. If you are, like the starter of this thread, half-American and half-Turkish, half of you is a resident of a young country with a democratic heritage and not a heck of alot of tradition, and half of you is a part of an ancient culture going back eons that's got tons of tradition and folklore. That's quite a contrast to come to grips to.
No. The individual has lived their entire life in the US. Genetically, we all have heritage from outside the US. I think it is interesting to learn the history of our families and the vestiges of traditions carried by our families from other countries. But this has nothing to do with citizenship and identification in our country of origin.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:11 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

No. The individual has lived their entire life in the US. Genetically, we all have heritage from outside the US. I think it is interesting to learn the history of our families and the vestiges of traditions carried by our families from other countries. But this has nothing to do with citizenship and identification in our country of origin.
OK, you're right, I didn't understand your post. I'm muddled in the brains today. I'm glad I didn't have to work at the library today, it's one of those days on which I would have screwed up on the Dewey Decimal System and couldn't have even cleaned the damn shelves. I thought that only happened when U2 toured.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:19 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:49 AM
Quote:

I work with plenty of people who have been born in Canada, but are very orthodox Jews and although their nationality is Canadian, they overwhelmingly identify with Israel, both due to cultural and religious reasons.

I tend to find that the sort of thing you suggest is often suggested by those who are not part of a small, tight knit ethnic minority and therefore have not been exposed to a completely different lifestyle and culture in their homes than at school or work. It is like living two lives in a way.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:55 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I work with plenty of people who have been born in Canada, but are very orthodox Jews and although their nationality is Canadian, they overwhelmingly identify with Israel, both due to cultural and religious reasons.

I tend to find that the sort of thing you suggest is often suggested by those who are not part of a small, tight knit ethnic minority and therefore have not been exposed to a completely different lifestyle and culture in their homes than at school or work. It is like living two lives in a way.
Yeah, it's strange, I grew up around Americans of Greek heritage. They were *both* Greek and American. They were members of a close knit community with its very own culture and institutions. That's how I was originally introduced to Greek food, which is still my favorite ethnic food. I still attend many functions of the local Greek community, and love it!
Old 11-16-2004, 04:04 PM   #24

Hey, I have a few questions to the people from Turkey if it is ok...

How do you guys really feel about Ataturk? I have read some short bios and done some research. I know he really reformed and created modern day Turkey but do any of you (in particular those of the Muslim Faith) have any strong feelings about him?