My final month in Africa...any last questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Yep, after two years that have both flown by and crawled by, my stint in the Peace Corps will soon be over. It’s been an interesting time, full of memories good and bad, experiences hard and marvelous. My first time in Africa but I’m sure not my last time.

As the subject of the less-developed world and Africa in particular comes up with some regularity in threads here, I thought I would throw out the invitation to anyone who is interested to ask me any questions that I might be able to answer or comment on as regards my African experience or volunteering in general. Or, if no one wants to ask anything, I might just post random thoughts, reflections, etc. and bore you all to death. ;)

So, as we say here...bissimilah!

What are your plans when you come back?

How has Africa changed your view of the world?

How do you see this experience influencing your future?

That should do it for now. :wink:

joyfulgirl said:
When can we have coffee? :wink:

What she said. ;)

Seriously, the reverse culture-shock was the worst for me. Much harder than I expected, because I didn't expect it to be hard at all. :lol: Peace Corps has an actually very impressive career counseling program, for what it's worth. :)

End of one adventure. Here's to the next one! :up:

i might be headed over to rwanda for a 2 to 3 year stint to help set up a micro lending operation. i'll be taking my wife and kids. am i crazy?

Sounds like you had a wonderful experience and I am sure they were happy to have you. It's a huge decision to go there for two years and a huge undertaking as well, but in all your comments, it seems like you really enjoyed it and benefitted from it immeasurably.

Did you manage to travel outside of Mali to other parts of Africa as well? I have family in Namibia, and an uncle who lives there often says that even though he was born in Africa, it's a major culture shock for him to travel from sparsely inhabited desert lands of Namibia to the bustling cities of East Africa, so I'm wondering how Mali compares to any other places you may have gotten a chance to see.

And lastly, welcome back!

What are your plans when you come back?
Since my boyfriend got a scholarship to study at a university in the States, I am going to move to the town he will be living in and try to get a job there. My intent is to basically just BE THERE for him and try to help him get adjusted and settled in…it is going to be a huge change for him living in the States, let alone going to school again.

How has Africa changed your view of the world?
It’s hard to quantify this. I’ve thought about it a lot, especially in the past few weeks. I have seen people with very little material resources but who are rich in social grace. The way that people here will share with others, be it inviting a complete passerby to come and eat with them or paying the bus fare for someone sitting next to them, is really a whole different ethos than what I have experienced in the Western world. For example only this morning my taxi driver offered to share his breakfast with me and I had to convince him that I really wasn't hungry.

How do you see this experience influencing your future?
Well, hopefully the linguistic fluency I have gained in French will be an asset that I can use in the future. Also, I am interested in getting into development work as a career, so you could say that I am hoping this experience will serve as a sort of launching point.

Are you still going to do the peace corps?
Um, not quite sure what the question means. Peace Corps is a two year contractual thing. In a week and a half I will have finished that contract and will be considered a “returned peace corps volunteer” or RPCV. I’m sure I’ll still be involved with Peace Corps through the very large RPCV community ( :wave: SherryDarling!) and I wouldn’t be opposed to working for the Peace Corps in an administrative role in the future.

What are you looking forward to when you get back?
Cheesecake! Bagels and cream cheese, free local phone calls, ATM machines, overpriced coffee, and cold weather.

Are you prepared for reverse culture shock?
Yes and no. Can one ever be prepared for that? Thankfully, I have previous experience to guide me. I spent the majority of my formative years in Indonesia and had to re-adjust to American culture at the tender age of 16. Looking back I can see that I mucked that up, so at least this time around I know what to expect. Still, in all the time I have travelled since and lived overseas for periods of time, it is always hard to accept the flagrant consumerism and overall “too much”ness of America. To go from a life where I see extreme poverty everywhere to one where people are rich to the point of excess will be hard. What I hate the most about the re-entry experience every time I’ve done it is watching myself slide slowly into the mindset, buying into the lies, getting wrapped up in “things”. I don’t like the person I become when I live in America. It is hard to have clarity of vision, hard to live simply and really hard to see what should be one’s real priorities. I’m really hoping to do better at it this time around.

When can we have coffee?
Anytime you’re ready and willing to get yourself to the DC/North Virginia area. :sexywink:

i might be headed over to rwanda for a 2 to 3 year stint to help set up a micro lending operation. i'll be taking my wife and kids. am i crazy?
No, not at all. I say go for it. I’ve talked to people who have lived in Rwanda and they’ve only had good to say about it. Also, there is a lot of potential in micro-lending so you’d be doing a good thing. Also as a “third culture kid” myself, I think travel and new cultures is a great experience for kids. Best of luck to you in the future!

What will you miss the most when you leave?
Complete strangers being able to greet each other and strike up conversations without being self-conscious.

what are some things you're most proud of accomplishing during your time there, and what frustrated you most that you weren't able to do?
I am proud of the fact that I was able to help my organization open a technology resource center for artisans. I wrote the grant and managed the project, and it is something concrete that I will leave behind that can (and I hope will) continue to help people help themselves. I'm also very proud of the website that I helped make a reality which promotes Malian handcrafts to a larger audience. I'm happy that we were able to organize a craft fair that about 80 artisans participated in. And the thing I am most proud of is seeing the young woman I trained in MS Excel teaching it to another secretary in local language. :)
A lot of things frustrated me. Looking back I can see a lot of stuff I could have done if I had had the motivation. But at the end of the day, you have to pick your battles and your priorities. You can’t do everything. As much as I’d like to be supervolunteer, I’m not. If I could do it over again, I would probably try to get more involved in the personal lives of my coworkers. As it was I had a boyfriend so that sort of changed the whole dynamic meaning that I had less of a need for social relationships outside of work because I was spending time with him.

and how is your boyfriend?
Hot. ;) Seriously, he’s doing good. It’ll be hard for him to say goodbye to his sister and brothers for four years, but he’ll be alright.

Did you manage to travel outside of Mali to other parts of Africa as well?
One of my biggest regrets is that I really haven’t been able to do much travelling outside of Mali. I was lucky in that I did get to see quite a bit of Mali itself, all the way from Kayes in the west to Timbuktu in the north and the magnificent Dogon Country out east. I did spend a little time in Mauritania by accident (got bumped on a flight and stuck for 3 days!). In a few weeks my boyfriend and I will be travelling by road to Burkina Faso and Ghana, so I am really looking forward to that. From what I’ve heard, Ghana especially is much more advanced and better off than Mali. It’s also Anglophone and I’ve only ever been in Francophone Africa. Should be interesting!

ABEL said:
post some more pictures :hyper: :wink:

I'd love to, but :censored: Snapfish deleted all my photos. If I can attach a few directly here on the forum, I will. I don't have very many in electronic format, but it's something I'll work on when I get back to the States.

If this photo shows up, it should be a picture of my parents and my host dad from the training village. When we went to visit them last month they prepared my favorite dish and we ate together (with our hands!)

Attachments

• mali_132.jpg
    mali_132.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 99
I remember you had posted about your parents accepting your boyfriend b/c of religious differences. Do they know about him now and if so, how did that conversation go/what do they think of the idea of it?

sula, what a beautiful picture. Did you ever know that you're my hero?

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I can tell it's enriched your life in many ways. God bless you in the next chapter of your life. :up:

sulawesigirl4 said:

When can we have coffee?
Anytime you’re ready and willing to get yourself to the DC/North Virginia area. :sexywink:

My family's in VA and I sometimes fly into BWI when I visit them so I look forward to it. :sexywink:

What aspect of society from Africa would you like to see adopted here in the US (or Western countries)?

As I think I’ve mentioned in other threads, one of the things that is really striking about the culture here (at least in Mali) is the sense of community and of obligation. By that I mean there is a certain standard of mutual respect and support. You greet people, whether they are friends, coworkers or complete strangers. If you are eating you offer others your food. If you see a woman struggling trying to balance two toddlers on her lap in the public transport you hold one of them on your lap. You pay the bus fare for an old woman. You offer the leftover water you just bought to the kid sitting across from you because it’s better that someone use it than that it be thrown away and wasted.

There is a certain sense that we are all responsible for the state of the whole. This can of course be taken to extremes, especially when some people use it as an excuse to be lazy, but overall it provides a safety net for many people who would otherwise be marginalized and on the streets. There are still street people to be sure, but far less than you might expect given the abject poverty of the country.

It has been in Africa that I have seen that adage "It takes a village to raise a child" put to good effect in real life. I don't think it's only about taking care of the children but taking care of the society in general, that it takes all of us working together to support one another and that it's a responsibility we all share.

I remember you had posted about your parents accepting your boyfriend b/c of religious differences. Do they know about him now and if so, how did that conversation go/what do they think of the idea of it?

Well, it’s been a bumpy road, but they have been better about it than I thought. They were upset and shocked and whatnot with the initial news but since they were able to come out here and visit, they have, I think, accepted it to some extent. It’s been hard because it’s not only a question of his religion being different than theirs, but I don’t think that they realized how much I disagree with their interpretation of Christianity. I had to clarify with them on many key theological issues with which we sharply disagree and I think that too was a shock to them. It makes me sad to know that they don’t quite believe that I can hold my more “liberal” beliefs and still be a good Christian. They come from an older school and tend to see things in conservative ways. So while they really do like my boyfriend as a person – they got along very well with him on their visit – it still hurts me that they feel they have something to prove to me. By that I mean I get the feeling that they feel that they have to “withhold their blessing” or something to that extent. That if they just tell me that they’re happy to see me happy they’re selling out. That makes me sad because I would hope that one’s parents could put aside differences of religion and just love me for who I am regardless. Having my dad tell me that if my boyfriend and I ever did decide to get married, my parents would attend the wedding but my dad would not be able to “give me away” felt a bit like a slap in the face. (What he doesn’t realize is that if I did ever have a wedding my feminist tendencies wouldn’t allow me to continue such an outdated and patriarchal tradition anyways:p ) Ah well.

Did you ever know that you're my hero?
Wow, when did I earn that distinction? :wink:

When do we get Bambara lessons?
Sisan sisan! (Right now!) I b’a fe ka mun fo? (What would you like to say?)
Allah k’a tilé here d’anw ma. (May peace increase throughout the day)

Speaking of Bambara, I took my final language test to see what level I can claim and was happily surprised to get grade of Advanced Low. :D Considering that I actually speak French 85% of the time, I was really happy with that score. Now for the French test next week. :mac:

More pics
Here's one of me with my village family. In itself a pretty good example of a typical African family. Back row from left to right: Kadjatu (wife of Issa, brother of Madou), Nansa (wife of Madou) and her youngest child, Madou (head of the family), Fanta (mother of Madou and Issa), some cousin whom I don’t know but who is living with the family for the time being, and myself. In the front row are five children belonging to Madou and Nansa, two of Issa and Kadjatu, and the two oldest girls are the daughters of their oldest brother who died.

Attachments

• mali_094.jpg
    mali_094.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 84
Sula - Are there any customs practiced in Mali that you will take back to the States with you? Special days of the year, special foods, a secret handshake?

Bluer White said:
Sula - Are there any customs practiced in Mali that you will take back to the States with you? Special days of the year, special foods, a secret handshake?

Well, if it's a SECRET, I couldn't tell you could I? :sexywink:

One thing I'm sure I'll continue to do in the States at least at first is to make the little non-verbal noises that one adds into conversations here without thinking. There is a clicking noise one makes to tell the other person who is talking that you agree. There is a chirping sorta noise you make when someone proposes a price that is too high or when you disagree with something. etc.

Any tips for anyone that aspires to join the corp when he gets out of University?

Tarvark said:
Any tips for anyone that aspires to join the corp when he gets out of University?

Well, in my experience they'll take just about anyone with a college degree. lol. But to make your application stronger, it is good to be involved in voluntary work and community development. Also, learning a second language is always good. If you have French already, for example, you may be a good candidate for Francophone Africa. Spanish is from what I understand a must for Latin America (I hear these posts are very competitive as a lot of applicants have Spanish).

For your own personal preparation, I would recommend you look up the Returned Peace Corps Volunteer network in your area. There are loads of RPCVs around and usually they get together once in a while and reminisce, etc. In my experience, they are always totally happy to talk to a prospective volunteer and answer any questions he/she may have. Good luck in the future and feel free to PM me with any questions. :)

Random things I learned in Africa:

• Don't bother wearing a watch.
  • Talk to strangers, strike up a conversation with the person beside you...come on now, don't be shy!
  • Fried plantains on bread are part of "this complete breakfast."
  • Nescafe instant coffee plus sweetened condensed milk is Africa's answer to Starbucks. Our cafe au lait is sweeter than yours!!!!
  • Always start your interactions with people by asking them about their health and wellbeing, how the day is going and always end by greeting their family and giving them a blessing.
  • "Soon" and "right now" are really very relative.
  • Everyone is or can be my mother, father, sister, brother, cousin.

Hi Sula,
how are you? How is your day going?
did you get my mail or do I have to send it again?
Blessings to you, your boyfriend and your family,
st

Back
Top Bottom