"My dad's name is donor" "if you're desperate ......find a man,"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
Conception Bill

Jan 11, 2006, 06:01 PM

A Virginia delegate speaks out about his proposal to make it illegal for unmarried women to have babies through medical technology.

"And to say women are desperate for this, well Al Capone was desperate for money..just being desperate doesn't mean you have a right to anything period," says Delegate Bob Marshall (R, 13th district, Prince William, Loudoun).

It was among the hot button issues today on the first day of Virginia's General Assembly. If the bill is passed, it would prohibit licensed health professionals from performing medical procedures for unmarried women who want to get pregnant, including everything from in vitro fertilization to artificial insemination by a donor.

Bob Marshall says single women who deliberately have children without fathers are selfish, because they're putting their needs first.

"My dad's name is donor, okay, no kid wants that. They want a relationship with a real person, someone to hold their hand," Marshall said.

Marshall says without that emotional connection, children are more prone to psychological and financial problems. But more importantly, according to Marshall, it's a child's natural right to know its father, which he says is more important than a woman's biological needs.

"Don't tell me that these women are desperate, well if you're desperate then get married...look go out and even...find a man," Marshall said.

He also says gay relationships are no exception. But today Marshall's proposal is meeting strong criticism from women who say the government should not dictate who can have kids.

"I don't think it's the governments place to tell a woman whether she's capable of raising a child or not."

"I think its important to look at the strength of character of the woman, and not her marital status."

:down:

Do they let just anyone in the Virginia GA?

I bet this guy real worry is that the children of unmarried women won't pull up their pants....

Back
Top Bottom