My brilliant solution for Iraq - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2006, 04:31 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 03:02 PM
My brilliant solution for Iraq

I don't know why no one has thought of it. There is NO way this country can exist as one entity when it is comprised of factions who all hate each other. Just as with Yugoslavia, Iraq is nothing more than a creation of those post WWI political heads who thought they were doing the right thing in divvying up the world after the collapse of the German, Austro-Hungarian and Ottman empires. They often, for convenience's sake, drew lines around places that should never have been lumped into one country in the first place. There has been lots of trouble ever since.

The only real solution to stopping the factional violence is to separate the country of Iraq into regions- one for the Kurds, one for the Shiites, one for each type of Sunnis. Then no one would feel they had to fight the other for control of the government! Separate automous regions, or even countries, would settle these unsolvable differences. For a few years, UN sanctioned peacekeepers could guard the borders and see how it goes.

What do you think?

Old 12-04-2006, 04:34 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:02 AM
You sir are correct.

In addition I'd suggest getting regional Middle Eastern nations involved in the security of a split up Iraq. The average Iraqi will never trust Americans, and the longer coalition forces stay there, the worse things will get.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #3
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
You sir are correct.

In addition I'd suggest getting regional Middle Eastern nations involved in the security of a split up Iraq. The average Iraqi will never trust Americans, and the longer coalition forces stay there, the worse things will get.
You are exactly right. And yes, getting the other neighbor nations involved will be a big help. WHY can't those in charge see this?
Old 12-04-2006, 04:47 PM   #4
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:02 AM
You're suggesting physically uprooting and shuffling everyone around? Assigning everyone new houses, neighbourhoods, schools, places of employment? Am I missing something?
Old 12-04-2006, 04:59 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

I believe the various religious groups in Iraq are already pretty much geographically separated.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:07 PM   #6
War Child

Local Time: 04:02 PM
My solution for World Peace, Iraq etc:
Put GIANT speakers on the moon.
Blast Sinatra, U2, Bob Marley, the Beatles and James Brown 24-7 round the world.
It's hard to be angry or want to fight under those conditions.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:09 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:02 AM
Not entirely separated. The other problem with this solution (not that it is a bad one besides this) is resources. Lands inhabited primarily by various groups have vast disparities in oil, water etc resources. How do you fix that? Nobody (except the big time winners sitting on the oil wells) will agree to splitting up the country if they can't get a piece of the wealth.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:26 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Iskra
My solution for World Peace, Iraq etc:
Put GIANT speakers on the moon.
Blast Sinatra, U2, Bob Marley, the Beatles and James Brown 24-7 round the world.
It's hard to be angry or want to fight under those conditions.

You have to put some air into the space, because no sound will come through the vacuum

The biggest problem I think is that Christians try to tell Muslims how to live. In the Muslim world it is seen that problems get solved by Muslims, and any intervention from the west is seen as an act against the Muslim sovereignty.
So it's not just creating some states and peace will be.

Think of the situation between Pakistan and India for example.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Re: My brilliant solution for Iraq

Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch
I don't know why no one has thought of it. There is NO way this country can exist as one entity when it is comprised of factions who all hate each other. Just as with Yugoslavia, Iraq is nothing more than a creation of those post WWI political heads who thought they were doing the right thing in divvying up the world after the collapse of the German, Austro-Hungarian and Ottman empires. They often, for convenience's sake, drew lines around places that should never have been lumped into one country in the first place. There has been lots of trouble ever since.

The only real solution to stopping the factional violence is to separate the country of Iraq into regions- one for the Kurds, one for the Shiites, one for each type of Sunnis. Then no one would feel they had to fight the other for control of the government! Separate automous regions, or even countries, would settle these unsolvable differences. For a few years, UN sanctioned peacekeepers could guard the borders and see how it goes.

What do you think?
We debate this almost every day in our government class...and while it sounds like a good idea, it's not that simple. They'll fight over location, resources, influence in the region, etc.

At this point I don't see any good solution for over there so its better than none
Old 12-04-2006, 06:15 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega

You have to put some air into the space, because no sound will come through the vacuum
How come the ships in Star Wars make noise then?

Old 12-04-2006, 06:31 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

George Lucas was so great, he even intrdouced special effects to the space
Old 12-04-2006, 07:10 PM   #12
War Child

Location: Hellas, and God knows where else you 've got your tape recorders turned on...
Local Time: 05:02 PM
Re: My brilliant solution for Iraq

Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch

What do you think?
If someone official (Bush or Condie) just mentions a solution like that, even the next day of the announcement we will hear in the news that in Turkey a junta (military movement) has taken control of the country and they are preparing for an invasion in the kurd section of Iraq...
Turks have enormous problems for decades with the guerillas of the Kurds liberation organisations...Some 20 million people in Turkey consider themselfs as Kurds and want to create Kurdistan -their own country-...
US officials know that this solution is out of the question for now but the situation is pretty angry down there so, who knows.?
The 2003 invasion of Iraq I thing should be considered equal to Napoleon's Waterloo battle...
Old 12-04-2006, 07:17 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

That's right, Turkey wouldn't accept any Kurdish state, especially since there will be a direct border.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:41 PM   #14
War Child

Location: Hellas, and God knows where else you 've got your tape recorders turned on...
Local Time: 05:02 PM
PKK, aka the Kurds Liberation Party wich is listed as a terrorist group in Turkey (in US too I think) rendered much of southeastern Turkey a war zone in the late 1980s and 1990s...Their power is reduced during the last years but imagine what will happen if one (Iraq) of the 3 (Turkey and Syria) parts of the -so called Kurdistan will gain it's freedom...
The army in Turkey is considered as the guardians of Atatürk's Republic..If the army "feels" any danger, they won't hesitate to intervent...They 've done it in the past, they won't hesitate to do it now...

I live in the region, Greece may be far from Iraq but Turkey isn't, so one way or another the problems there affect my country too...
Old 12-04-2006, 08:11 PM   #15
Refugee

This is from the Armed Forces Journal.