My Apologies to the Muslim People - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2005, 09:03 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

I would not agree that "Christian terrorists really rank very low on the scale of terrorists". I would also question that any terrorist group has the means and support, at this point, to bring about their own vision of the apocalypse.

Ever hear of these guys, as a particularly bloodthirsty example of terrorists flying the Christian banner:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LRA
I am not going to defend Christian terrorists, they can be just as brutal as any other religious minded folk, history has shown Christianity to be one of the most intollerent and violent religions ever, it has opressed a lot of people.

I stand by my statement that Christian terrorism in the present is not as widespread, or recieves as much support from the mainstream believers, as Islamic terrorism does.

I do tend to focus on Islamist terrorism because that is the terrorism prevalent in areas that I have an interest in; the Israeli / Arab conflict, SE Asia, Central Asia and the wider war on terror (misnomer).

Old 06-04-2005, 09:03 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
I don't think taxpayers' money should be used to fund any art.
I think it's reasonable to have some degree of art funding, e.g. for maintenance of municipal galleries and the like.

Old 06-04-2005, 09:08 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:33 PM
I would agree with that.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:32 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I do tend to focus on Islamist terrorism because that is the terrorism prevalent in areas that I have an interest in; the Israeli / Arab conflict, SE Asia, Central Asia and the wider war on terror (misnomer).
That's fair enough, I am certainly not denying that Islamist terrorism is a threat.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:34 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Well, this is the main reason why I think soldiers need a good dose of professionalism training. We wouldn't excuse racism, homophobia, and religious intolerance in the civilian world, so why should we excuse such blatantly unprofessional behavior in the military?

Melon
Do you think it possible to change the mentality of the majority of the soldiers. I thought the most soldiers are people that chose for the army are commng from the lower class that not can find a good job or are to poor for a good education. I think your army is the drain off your society .
Old 06-04-2005, 10:02 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Cut the generalizations, Rono, just shut up. You know nothing about the US Army. Nothing.

My best friend was drill seargent in the Army. She is one of the smartest and most respectable people I have ever known. Same goes for her brother, who was in the Air Force.

Don't be disrespecting the people who are willing to put their lives on the line for their country.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:32 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

There are lots of very fine and very professional people in the military, just as there are plenty of assholes in the private sector. However, there are pretty defined and harsh means of dealing with problem individuals in the private sector, and there's a general expectation of professionalism that helps prevent misbehavior.

My beef is that I don't feel as if the military is serious when it comes to instilling professionalism in those soldiers who just don't seem to get it. I mean, there's this story. Then there's Abu Ghraib. Then there's the military academy that was so rabidly Christian to the point of being abusive to non-Christians. There's seemingly no expectation of professionalism in the military that there is in the private sector; and that's what I want the military to work on.

Melon
Old 06-04-2005, 10:44 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I undertsand, completely, melon, and have no beef with what you said. Rono's statement just pulled my ripcord of frustration, I guess.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:28 PM   #54
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:33 PM
Quote:
I am not going to defend Christian terrorists, they can be just as brutal as any other religious minded folk, history has shown Christianity to be one of the most intollerent and violent religions ever, it has opressed a lot of people.

I stand by my statement that Christian terrorism in the present is not as widespread, or recieves as much support from the mainstream believers, as Islamic terrorism does.
The majority of Muslims do not agree with Islamic fundamentalism or terrorism either. Just as the majority of Christians do not support Christian terrorism.

Neither faith is particularly good at banding together to expel (literally) the violent radicals.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:51 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

(1) A prison guard pissing on the Koran to psychologically intimidate Muslim prisoners. [/B]
The Hood report clearly states that the guard was relieving himself outside with no intention to do anything sacrilegious and even afterwards he was posted to gate duty. This was not an intentional move to psycologically intimidate a prisoner.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:57 PM   #56
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:33 PM
Quote:
The Hood report clearly states that the guard was relieving himself outside with no intention to do anything sacrilegious and even afterwards he was posted to gate duty. This was not an intentional move to psycologically intimidate a prisoner.
I'm glad that some believe that, otherwise our tax dollars would be a waste.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:19 AM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Whatever, until you can show me something new and shocking about Guantanamo (rendition of high level terrorists overseas before being handed over to the US is where the real abuse and torture would go on; Phillipines, Indonesia, Pakistan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia are of much more concern than the camp that everybody knows about and has the most oversight and attention payed to it) I consider the entire thing to be a storm in a toilet.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:35 AM   #58
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Whatever, until you can show me something new and shocking about Guantanamo (rendition of high level terrorists overseas before being handed over to the US is where the real abuse and torture would go on; Phillipines, Indonesia, Pakistan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia are of much more concern than the camp that everybody knows about and has the most oversight and attention payed to it) I consider the entire thing to be a storm in a toilet.
Who are you fucking kidding? He just happened to piss on a Koran while "releiving" himself? What world are you living in?
Old 06-05-2005, 12:38 AM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

So he did the ultimate trick shot, he was pissing through an air vent to deliberately to hit the Koran. Frankly if you wanted to intimidate the prisoner wouldn't it be a lot simpler to just get urine on the damn thing rather than walking outside the block, matching up positions and going for it.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:44 AM   #60
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
So he did the ultimate trick shot, he was pissing through an air vent to deliberately to hit the Koran. Frankly if you wanted to intimidate the prisoner wouldn't it be a lot simpler to just get urine on the damn thing rather than walking outside the block, matching up positions and going for it.
Who pisses in an airvent? You're being fucking naive. No one, I repeat NO ONE is that fucking naive!!!