Must be something in the water - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-23-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
Refugee
 
starsforu2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ashburn, VA (and permanently residing in u2bonogirls head!)
Posts: 2,070
Local Time: 01:32 PM
Must be something in the water

Quote:
65 Girls At Area School Pregnant
School To Unveil Three-Prong Program

POSTED: 12:30 pm EDT August 23, 2005

CANTON, Ohio -- There are 490 female students at Timken High School, and 65 are pregnant, according to a recent report in the Canton Repository.


The article reported that some would say that movies, TV, videogames, lazy parents and lax discipline may all be to blame.


School officials are not sure they what has caused so many pregnancies, but in response to them, the school is launching a three-prong educational program to address pregnancy, prevention and parenting.

The newspaper also reported that students will face mounting tensions created by unplanned child-rearing responsibilities, causing students to quit school and plan for a GED. This will make it difficult for the Canton City School District to shake its academic watch designation by the state.

According to the Canton Health Department, statistics through July show that 104 of the 586 babies born to Canton residents in Aultman Hospital and Mercy Medical Center had mothers between 11 and 19.


The newspaper reports that the non-Canton rate was 7 percent. Canton was 15 percent.
LINK


Wow! My senior class was about the same size and I only remember 1 pregnant girl. I guess football isn't the only form of recreation in Canton, Ohio
__________________

__________________
starsforu2 is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 12:30 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life
 
FizzingWhizzbees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: the choirgirl hotel
Posts: 12,614
Local Time: 05:32 PM
Quote:
The newspaper also reported that students will face mounting tensions created by unplanned child-rearing responsibilities, causing students to quit school and plan for a GED. This will make it difficult for the Canton City School District to shake its academic watch designation by the state.
I think it's a shame if girls are encouraged to leave school because they're pregnant or a parent. We often hear people complaining about "single moms on welfare" but how can we expect a young mother to be able to support her child if her school doesn't even enable her to complete her education in order to get a decently paid job.
__________________

__________________
FizzingWhizzbees is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 12:37 PM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,645
Local Time: 11:32 AM
Quote:
School officials are not sure they what has caused so many pregnancies, but in response to them, the school is launching a three-prong educational program to address pregnancy, prevention and parenting.


You don't know what has caused so many pregnancies? Probably unprotected sex...just a guess. Unless we have someone performing experiments.

Now you launch a sex ed program? Little late, and coming from someone who doesn't know how they occured may be a problem...
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 12:54 PM   #4
Refugee
 
starsforu2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ashburn, VA (and permanently residing in u2bonogirls head!)
Posts: 2,070
Local Time: 01:32 PM
Quote:
Imagine classroom props such as Woodies (wooden penises), dental dams (for oral sex) and female condoms (for anal sex). Imagine teachers using these for hands-on practice for 6th to 12th graders.

Too outrageous to believe, I said.

I was wrong. It's in the pipeline for Ohio public schools. I believed it only after reading copies of grant documents and hand-outs from training sessions, and talking with a Hamilton County teacher who attended and described the Woodies and other things we can't print in a newspaper.
Proposed Sex Ed Curriculum - 1998

I can't find the exact curriculum they teach right now, but I did find an article where groups were trying to block abstinence programs from beginning which would indicate that maybe they are teaching one where condoms are presented.

Which begs another question of mine: If condom 1st programs were proven to cause more sexual activity and higher rates of pregnancy and AIDS would you become an abstinence 1st advocate? Or would you stick to your guns because it's puritanical to expect kids not to experiment with sex.
__________________
starsforu2 is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 12:55 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
u2bonogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Back on the blue crack after a long break
Posts: 6,726
Local Time: 01:32 PM
I know quite a few girls who went to high school with me who got pregnant using condoms.
It really sucks for them because the kids have no dads and the girls are going to be stuck in nowhereville until they have a bunch of good luck.
There were 2 that I recall that had sex ed and still didnt use protection, assuming idiotically that they wouldnt get pregnant
How does that work?
Anyway, Im sure these kids having sex knew full well that not being protected could lead to pregnancy.
I knew that before I had sex ed, it was called society-ed. TV, music and riding the bus
__________________
u2bonogirl is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 01:04 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life
 
FizzingWhizzbees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: the choirgirl hotel
Posts: 12,614
Local Time: 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by starsforu2
Which begs another question of mine: If condom 1st programs were proven to cause more sexual activity and higher rates of pregnancy and AIDS would you become an abstinence 1st advocate? Or would you stick to your guns because it's puritanical to expect kids not to experiment with sex.
The article you linked to is almost seven years old and referred only to some poorly defined proposal. It'd be interesting to see if the proposals were ever implemented.

And the fact is that abstinence only programmes do nothing to reduce teenage pregnancy or the incidence of STIs. Sex education should be focused on enabling young people to make informed, responsible decisions about sexual activity and abstinence only education fails to do this.
__________________
FizzingWhizzbees is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 01:06 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,645
Local Time: 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by starsforu2



Which begs another question of mine: If condom 1st programs were proven to cause more sexual activity and higher rates of pregnancy and AIDS would you become an abstinence 1st advocate? Or would you stick to your guns because it's puritanical to expect kids not to experiment with sex.
First of all, I've never heard of a condom 1st program. Secondly how would promoting condoms cause higher pregnancy rates or STDs?
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 01:07 PM   #8
Refugee
 
starsforu2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ashburn, VA (and permanently residing in u2bonogirls head!)
Posts: 2,070
Local Time: 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees


The article you linked to is almost seven years old and referred only to some poorly defined proposal. It'd be interesting to see if the proposals were ever implemented.

And the fact is that abstinence only programmes do nothing to reduce teenage pregnancy or the incidence of STIs. Sex education should be focused on enabling young people to make informed, responsible decisions about sexual activity and abstinence only education fails to do this.
I said Abstinence 1st, not abstinence only. ABC programs like the one in Uganda that has been so successful. I'd be curious as to which program Ohio is using.
__________________
starsforu2 is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 01:17 PM   #9
Refugee
 
starsforu2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ashburn, VA (and permanently residing in u2bonogirls head!)
Posts: 2,070
Local Time: 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


First of all, I've never heard of a condom 1st program. Secondly how would promoting condoms cause higher pregnancy rates or STDs?
Because it assumes that the kids are going to have sex and in the process encourages it as a normal activity for 13, 14 or 15 year olds and ostensibly minimize the whole abstinence thing.

It's critics say that by handing out condoms you encourage more sexual activity than if you were to encourage the ABC method of sexual education.

It's the same arguments as raising the bar on education, drug policy etc. The liberal argument has been that they are going to do it anyway. The Conservative argument is, not necessarily and you shouldn't enourage them to do so by not discouraging it.
__________________
starsforu2 is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 01:22 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,286
Local Time: 12:32 PM
Abstinance is too extreme. When kids are told to wait until marriage for sex, what they are being told is that you should only have sex with someone you trust. This much I agree with. What I don't agree with is that you have to be married in order to have that trust. I do believe, however, that you can't determine that trust at age 14 or 15. 18, probably. 15, no.

And this points to problem with sex education. It's about more than just 'wear condoms, use protection, take the pill' It's about telling the students that they don't need to do it with every boy/girl they have a crush on. It's about telling the students to ask themselves two questions before having relations with someone: One, if you were to contract a serious STD, would your partner be there for you? And two, A)If you get pregnant, will your partner be there for the kid OR B)If she gets pregnant, do I want to be around? If the answer to any of these questions is no, then you don't get in the sack. Period. It's not about marriage, it's not about rings on your fingers, it's not even just about condoms and birth control. It's about DO YOU TRUST THE PERSON YOU'RE GOING INTO? That is what students need to be taught and I don't think they are being taught that.
__________________
namkcuR is online now  
Old 08-23-2005, 01:25 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
u2bonogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Back on the blue crack after a long break
Posts: 6,726
Local Time: 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
Abstinance is too extreme. When kids are told to wait until marriage for sex, what they are being told is that you should only have sex with someone you trust. This much I agree with. What I don't agree with is that you have to be married in order to have that trust. I do believe, however, that you can't determine that trust at age 14 or 15. 18, probably. 15, no.

And this points to problem with sex education. It's about more than just 'wear condoms, use protection, take the pill' :blah: It's about telling the students that they don't need to do it with every boy/girl they have a crush on. It's about telling the students to ask themselves two questions before having relations with someone: One, if you were to contract a serious STD, would your partner be there for you? And two, A)If you get pregnant, will your partner be there for the kid OR B)If she gets pregnant, do I want to be around? If the answer to any of these questions is no, then you don't get in the sack. Period. It's not about marriage, it's not about rings on your fingers, it's not even just about condoms and birth control. It's about DO YOU TRUST THE PERSON YOU'RE GOING INTO? That is what students need to be taught and I don't think they are being taught that.
You have some points in there that I was thinking about earlier.
Its more than just teaching kids about how to use protection for their body, its also about protecting their emotional health and informing them of other consequences than just pregnancy.
Kudos
__________________
u2bonogirl is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 01:25 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life
 
FizzingWhizzbees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: the choirgirl hotel
Posts: 12,614
Local Time: 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by starsforu2


I said Abstinence 1st, not abstinence only. ABC programs like the one in Uganda that has been so successful. I'd be curious as to which program Ohio is using.
What exactly would an abistinence first programme in US high schools teach? Is it that sex outside marriage is wrong? Is it that you shouldn't have sex until you reach a particular age? Is it that you shouldn't have sex unless in a relationship that's lasted a specific length of time?
__________________
FizzingWhizzbees is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 01:32 PM   #13
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,645
Local Time: 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by starsforu2


Because it assumes that the kids are going to have sex and in the process encourages it as a normal activity for 13, 14 or 15 year olds and ostensibly minimize the whole abstinence thing.

It's critics say that by handing out condoms you encourage more sexual activity than if you were to encourage the ABC method of sexual education.

Well that's a ridiculous assumption. Every sex ed program that I've been involved with teaches that sex is a great responsibility and isn't for those that aren't ready for it. The whole "handing out condoms" things is such a misconception, the majority of these programs the student has to come and ask the student nurse. It's not like they are handing them out as you exit the bus.

But besides all that you haven't given one reason as to how it could possibly make pregnacy and STD rates rise.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 01:33 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
u2bonogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Back on the blue crack after a long break
Posts: 6,726
Local Time: 01:32 PM
Wouldnt it teach that its not always wise to just act on your impulse, and inform kids of consequences to consider before taking risks that theyre not ready to deal with?
Im just thinking of what somebody told me when giving me a sex talk. That sex can be a beautiful and enjoyable thing, but you can also ruin it for yourself and others by abusing it, and you can seriously derail the course of your life by getting pregnant or contracting something.
I was taught that the physical part of sex was only half of it and that its a greatly emotional thing as well. And that maybe in seeking sex I was actually trying to fill another hole
Whether it be acceptance or whatever.
Consequently I didnt have a mystified or narrow view of sex and I said no to a lot of people without fear of being a "prude"
yeah, Tara...you can shut up now
__________________
u2bonogirl is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 01:35 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
u2bonogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Back on the blue crack after a long break
Posts: 6,726
Local Time: 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


Well that's a ridiculous assumption. Every sex ed program that I've been involved with teaches that sex is a great responsibility and isn't for those that aren't ready for it. The whole "handing out condoms" things is such a misconception, the majority of these programs the student has to come and ask the student nurse. It's not like they are handing them out as you exit the bus.

But besides all that you haven't given one reason as to how it could possibly make pregnacy and STD rates rise.
because the more stupid people are having sex, even with condoms, the more are going to use it improperly or just become a statistic on a health clinic wall
to put it bluntly
__________________

__________________
u2bonogirl is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com