Muslim medical students refusing to study

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im sure that we can have the obligatory "Christian pharmacists also refuse to provide the morning after pill" and I don't disagree, I think that demands for exception in the name of religious tolerance (and failure to grant it being labelled discrimination) are exactly the type of victim politics to force an agenda - and it isn't just used by Muslim groups, majority Chrsitian groups can bleat just as much.

Of course the agenda of guys who stage these bits of fun does tend towards the extreme
A muslim dentist made a woman wear Islamic dress as the price of accepting her as an NHS patient, it is alleged.

Omer Butt is said to have told the patient that unless she wore a headscarf she would have to find another practice. Later this month, Mr Butt will appear before a General Dental Council professional misconduct hearing, which has the power to strike him off. It is claimed that the 31-year-old dentist asked to speak to the woman in private after she turned up for an appointment at his clinic in Bury.

According to the charges, he questioned her on whether she was a Muslim and told her that if he was to treat her she would have to wear Islamic dress. He is also said to have read out a number of religious rules to her. He then told his nurse to give the patient her own headscarf to wear, the accusation says.

It is not known whether the woman was a Muslim.
link

Brother of former extremist Hassan Butt,

Last edited:
Their intolerance (not scanning alcoholic beverages or treating women, alcoholics etc.) doesn't need to be countered by tolerance.
It's their job, and they have to accept that people of other faiths do drink alcohol, and especially as doctors they are committed to helping each and every person.
If they refuse to do so, well, they have to change their profession. But we don't have to tolerate intolerance.

I'm opposed to gunning each other down, still if I were going to become a surgeon I would want to learn how to treat someone who got hit in a gunfight.

It's sad when intelligent people fall for radical, bogus preaching radicals.

Some Muslim medical students are refusing to attend lectures or answer exam questions on alcohol-related or sexually transmitted diseases because they claim it offends their religious beliefs.

Some trainee doctors say learning to treat the diseases conflicts with their faith, which states that Muslims should not drink alcohol and rejects sexual promiscuity.

A small number of Muslim medical students have even refused to treat patients of the opposite sex.

I'm sorry, nobody is forcing them to drink or be promiscuous. I'd deny a medical license to each and every one of these, the same way I'd revoke a pharmacy licence to Christian pharmacists in the US who dispense according to their religious beliefs. Enough is enough already.

To tolerate or not tolerate? I find myself getting less and less tolerant as time goes on. I can see this a universal trend. Wonderful, huh.

This is totally unprofessional. They shouldn't be allowed to become doctors if they're going to deny treatment to people.

martha said:
Well, then. I won't let the door slam me in the Butt as I go find a reasonable dentist. :rolleyes:

Fixed.

Seriously, I agree with anitram and pretty much everybody else. There are nations where government, education, and healthcare are at the mercy of religious beliefs, fortunately this isn't one of them.

As much as the fundies wish it was... :(

Angela Harlem said:
To tolerate or not tolerate? I find myself getting less and less tolerant as time goes on. I can see this a universal trend. Wonderful, huh.

This is just the point. We shouldn't be afraid to not giving a pass to (religious) intolerance.

If we try to answer intolerance with a wrong perception of tolerance, we lose.

(Hope I didn't word it too poorly).

Vincent Vega said:
Their intolerance (not scanning alcoholic beverages or treating women, alcoholics etc.) doesn't need to be countered by tolerance.
It's their job, and they have to accept that people of other faiths do drink alcohol, and especially as doctors they are committed to helping each and every person.
If they refuse to do so, well, they have to change their profession. But we don't have to tolerate intolerance.

I'm opposed to gunning each other down, still if I were going to become a surgeon I would want to learn how to treat someone who got hit in a gunfight.

It's sad when intelligent people fall for radical, bogus preaching radicals.

Well said and I agree. Doctors take an "oath" to save lives. They may not agree with the patient's lifestyle. but never the less. They will do everything in their power to treat and hopefully cure the disease.

Back
Top Bottom