Muslim Candidate For Congress In Minnesota - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2006, 09:11 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:23 PM
Muslim Candidate For Congress In Minnesota

Keith Ellison-he may be the first Muslim ever elected to the US Congress, according to this article it is all but guaranteed.

http://www.cqpolitics.com/2006/09/mi...ke_elliso.html

"And Ellison had to recover his footing after some early stumbles. He was stung by news reports about a variety of personal problems, including allegations of unpaid parking tickets, late federal income tax payments and failure to file timely campaign finance reports in other elections. Perhaps most damaging were reports linking him to Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan after his conversion to the religion as a young man.

But Ellison’s charm and progressive politics are what likely pulled him through, experts say. The 43-year-old state lawmaker has been likened to progressive political icon Paul Wellstone — a comparison that can go a long way in a state that is still mourning the late senator, who died in a plane crash late in his 2002 bid for re-election.

“The margin speaks to the strength of progressives and grass-roots in that district,” said Blois Olson, co-publisher of the newsletter Politics in Minnesota. “He’s been compared to Paul Wellstone . . . I think it was a factor, and I think the people could relate to that.”

Ellison also pushed hard in the final hours of his campaign, meeting with as many voters as possible to spread a message that included advocating withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq, universal health care coverage and support for labor issues.

Throughout the race, Ellison focused on those subjects, eschewing a race-based campaign, and vigorously seeking face time with as many voters of all backgrounds as possible.

The tactic clearly worked: more voters showed up for this primary than any other primary in state history. “This is exactly how we planned it,” said Ellison campaign spokesman Dave Colling.

Colling contended the real reason Ellison is able to elicit so much enthusiasm is his willingness to stand up to authority, a trait he said President Bush will soon encounter. “I watched him do it in the state House, and I can’t wait to watch him do it in Congress,” Colling said."

Old 09-13-2006, 10:58 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:23 AM
I hope he wins.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:09 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:23 PM
Do you hope he wins because he is muslim or because of how he want's to improve the lives and country.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:47 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Interesting. If he's the better qualified guy, sign him up.

Plus, at the very least it'd improve our image among Muslim nations. (Not that he should be elected just for that, but you know what I mean.)
Old 09-13-2006, 12:26 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Since I am a Republican - I certainly hope he loses.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:34 PM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:23 PM
If the Republican party's personal attack machine can only find unpaid parking tickets, this guy must be pretty good.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:57 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
Do you hope he wins because he is muslim or because of how he want's to improve the lives and country.
Both. He reminds me of Paul Wellstone, who was one of my favorite Senators of all time. And I think it will be cool if we can finally send a Muslim to Congress.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:17 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

As long as he helps the American people and country, city and state then I am all for it and that he keeps is religous beliefes to his self as I wish all politicians would do.

What BonVox said. LOL sorry bout that.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
as I wish many politicians would do.
as I wish ALL politicians would do.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:29 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Here's some more info about him

By MARTIGA LOHN, Associated Press Writer 40 minutes ago

State lawmaker Keith Ellison didn't let questions about his past slow down his campaign to become the first Muslim in Congress. On Tuesday, voters responded to his liberal message calling for peace, withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq and universal health care. He beat three contenders in the Democratic primary in a Minneapolis-area district long dominated by his party.

"You're not on your own," Ellison told supporters at an Egyptian restaurant in a speech that had the call-and-response of a revival meeting. "We are with you. We do these things together, y'all, and we don't let nobody break us apart."

Ellison, a 43-year-old criminal defense lawyer who converted to Islam as a college student, overcame questions about late parking tickets, overdue taxes and his past ties to the Nation of Islam. He has since denounced black Muslim leader Louis Farrakhan and was endorsed by a Minneapolis Jewish newspaper. He has also pledged to improve his personal record-keeping.

Ellison courted the liberal wing of the Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party by comparing himself to the late Sen. Paul Wellstone — and many voters responded. Others clearly relished the chance to elect a minority to Congress from Minnesota for the first time; Ellison is black.

Somali voters — many voting for the first time — appeared energized by Ellison's candidacy. Election official Hashi Abdi said he had to tell several people to leave their Ellison signs outside the polling area.

"A lot of the Muslim community have a lot of sympathy for this guy," Abdi said.

Though Ellison was the party's endorsed candidate, the lure of the safely Democratic seat drew plenty of challengers willing to test him. In the end, though, he handily beat his closest rival, Mike Erlandson, by about 10 points. Erlandson is a former chief of staff to the incumbent, retiring U.S. Rep. Martin Sabo, and had Sabo's support.

Ellison will be a heavy favorite in the November election, when he will face Republican Alan Fine and the Independence Party's Tammy Lee. In the 2004 election, about seven in 10 voters backed Sabo and Democrat John Kerry for president.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:22 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

i never trust converts!!
Old 09-13-2006, 03:54 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON
Since I am a Republican - I certainly hope he loses.
Why ?
Old 09-13-2006, 04:07 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:23 PM
Re: Muslim Candidate For Congress In Minnesota

good start

maybe we can get them appointed as judges, too
Old 09-13-2006, 04:45 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan
i never trust converts!!
How open minded of you
Old 09-13-2006, 05:12 PM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

How open minded of you
Don't you know, open minds are unpatriotic these days.

You don't trust anyone who's not like you and you blindly vote along party lines.