Muslim Candidate For Congress In Minnesota

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AcrobatMan said:
let me put this across to you..

why did you start a topic like this

why do you differentiate a muslim candidate and a christian candidate or an atheist candidate

USA is a secular country...so whatever the faith, its only type of candidate and the political idealogy they represent matters...

I see this thread as pretty pointless - in bringing out the religion of the candidate...and saying he is the 1st Muslim...he is the 1st African American... or whatever.. He is an American ..and thats what matters !!

Honestly I don't care that you see this thread as pointless-I see you saying that as rude. I think so many threads on Interference are pointless, but I would never be so rude as to actually post that in said threads. I think that borders/crosses a line on what is considered inappropriate around here, if it doesn't well it should.

I thought frankly it was noteworthy that a Muslim could be the first Muslim elected to Congress, and I don't have to justify that to you either. If you don't like it, don't read or post in it.

And you getting irritated by "God talk" is frankly irrelevant, I have seen all of your similar religion-related posts all over FYM and the rest of Interference on occasion. This thread isn't "God talk".

AcrobatMan said:
you read thru the posts in this thread and you will find who is rude.

calling a thread pointless is not rude - especially when i have stated reasons for calling it pointless.

chill down !!!!!!!!!!

I have read through it and I do see who is rude. And calling a thread pointless is rude, regardless of your "reasons". And please don't tell me to "chill down", in light of the way you have acted I am quite chilled down.

I questioned you on what you said about converts, so you think that is rude. You seized on this thread to make whatever your points are about religion (even talking about Christianity when this thread is about one Muslim), when the thread had nothing to do with any of that in the first place. So I am going to point that out too- that is not rude, it is merely factual.

Yes, calling a thread pointless is rude whether reasons are given for it or not.

Your opinion of converts is up to you so long as it's not phrased vulgarly or in the form of a personal attack, which it wasn't.

Please keep any further posts on the thread topic. Thanks.

I'm a convert, and I like to think I'm not alone. It's a shame Muslims don't post here, but I know why they don't. Good grief! Talk about gluttony for punishment!

Transcript: CNN Headline News with Glenn Beck, Nov. 14

GLENN BECK: History was made last Tuesday when Democrat Keith Ellison got elected to Congress, representing the great state of Minnesota. Well, not really unusual that Minnesota would elect a Democrat. What is noteworthy is that Keith is the first Muslim in history to be elected to the House of Representatives. He joins us now.

Congratulations, sir.

KEITH ELLISON (D), CONGRESS-MAN ELECT OF MINNESOTA: How you doing, Glenn? Glad to be here.

BECK: Thank you. I will tell you, may I -- may we have five minutes here where we're just politically incorrect and I play the cards face up on the table?

ELLISON: Go there.

BECK: OK. No offense, and I know Muslims. I like Muslims. I've been to mosques. I really don't believe that Islam is a religion of evil. I -- you know, I think it's being hijacked, quite frankly.

With that being said, you are a Democrat. You are saying, "Let's cut and run." And I have to tell you, I have been nervous about this interview with you, because what I feel like saying is, "Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies."

And I know you're not. I'm not accusing you of being an enemy, but that's the way I feel, and I think a lot of Americans will feel that way.

ELLISON: Let me tell you, the people in the Fifth Congressional District know that I have a deep love and affection for my country. There's no one who's more patriotic than I am, and so you know, I don't need to -- need to prove my patriotic stripes.

BECK: And I'm not asking you to. I'm wondering if you see that. You come from a district that is heavily immigrant with Somalians, and I think it's wonderful, honestly. I think it is really a good sign that you are -- you could be an icon to show Europe, this is the way you integrate into a country. I think the Somalians coming out and voting is a very good thing. With that...

ELLISON: I'd agree with you.

BECK: Yes. With that being said, you see -- I saw a recent poll that showed 25 percent of Muslims in America will not report a terrorist plot if they see it.

ELLISON: Well, I don't believe that poll. I think that Muslims in America are very loyal, patriotic people. We have over 7,000 Muslims who are in the United States armed forces fighting to defend this great country of ours. So, I just don't see it that way, and I think that I've seen a number of polls that just -- were just flat out wrong about this one.

BECK: OK. Your view of Muslim extremists.

ELLISON: They're criminals. But I think that people who commit criminal acts should be treated like criminals, regardless of their faith.

BECK: And do you believe -- I agree with you. Do you believe that they are destroying Islam as well as trying to destroy us?

ELLISON: Well, I think that -- I think that there are people -- and let me just say this. You know, Timothy McVeigh, who's not a Muslim, was a pretty dangerous guy to America, too. I do think that we have to be clear that, you know, Islam and Muslims in America are good, loyal Americans here to make this country a stronger, better place.

But you know, having said that, I think it is important to note that, you know, if you were to gather Muslims up and ask them how they feel about this country, they'll talk about it being the land of opportunity, the place where they can worship their faith as they choose, a place where they can earn a decent living.

BECK: Yes. I agree with you. We don't have any argument there. I spoke to somebody on the radio just today that echoed those things.

Now, you want to bring the troops home right now. Tell me how that doesn't play right into the hands of Ahmadinejad and the Iranians filling that power vacuum that we will leave if we do that.

ELLISON: Well, I mean, I think that recognizing that a military solution in Iraq is probably not going to make America safer is not the same as cutting and running.

I believe that the United States, together with the world community, needs to help reconstruct Iraq and needs to be a part of bringing the fighting factions there to a point where they have peace. But I don't think that using the military option is the only way to go.

BECK: I can tell that...

ELLISON: Glenn, think about it this way. Look at the National Intelligence Estimate. It was pretty clear that, you know, our presence in Iraq is not contributing to a safer Iraq and, therefore, not diminishing the threat of terrorism.

BECK: But I have to tell you, I mean, to think that we could somehow or another work with the international community and get the Sunnis and the Shias together so they could live in peace is also just as ridiculous on many fronts.

ELLISON: But, Glenn...

BECK: People have been warring against each other forever and on top of it the international community? Come on.

ELLISON: But Glenn, you're a historian, a very educated and intelligent man, and you know that the Shia and the Sunni in Iraq have really never had a civil war before. You're aware of that, aren`t you?

BECK: You know what? I have to tell you, if you think that Iraq is put together because everybody is happy as little field mice, you're kidding yourself.

ELLISON: No.

BECK: That is three separate countries cobbled together through a strong man.

ELLISON: I'll agree that it is a pluralistic, multiethnic society that has had its difficulties over time, but the Shia and Sunni have never had a civil war, and that's a historic fact.

BECK: Congressman, thank you very much.

ELLISON: Thank you.

"I have been nervous about this interview with you, because what I feel like saying is, 'Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies.' " Beck added: "I'm not accusing you of being an enemy, but that's the way I feel, and I think a lot of Americans will feel that way."

Glenn Beck is scary, and he really shouldn't be so pompous as to believe that he knows how all Americans feel about this or any other issue.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200611150004

As Media Matters for America has noted, Beck previously warned that if "Muslims and Arabs" don't "act now" by "step[ping] to the plate" to condemn terrorism, they "will be looking through a razor wire fence at the West" and declared that "Muslims who have sat on your frickin' hands the whole time" rather than "lining up to shoot the bad Muslims in the head" will face dire consequences.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
You don't think those assumptions are scary?:huh:

That's scary...

Indeed. He thinks that Muslims are somehow connected with "the enemy". I just went to Keith Ellison's web site and I don't know how anyone could come to that conclusion without harboring some really heavy duty prejudice against Muslims.

verte76 said:

I don't know how anyone could come to that conclusion without harboring some really heavy duty prejudice against Muslims.

You're right. It's pretty scary, but just take a look at some of the post here in FYM there's a lot of deep hatred and prejudice against Muslims.

That's not scary? It is to me, and I also think they are clearly bigoted statements against Muslims and highly offensive towards Mr. Ellison. I am surprised that CNN would allow him to spew that crap on the air, but then again he is on there merely to try to get some Fox viewers for ratings purposes.

"Razor wire fence" and vague references to "dire consequences" and "prove you are not working with our enemies" is moderate? Compared to what- Ann Coulter?

Unbelievable. Those people who are sending him those ignorant, hateful messages clearly must be confused about the whole issue-and quite disturbed. It's a sad and shameful state of affairs. I don't care what he takes the oath of office on as long as he does his job to the best of his ability, with integrity and ethics. Dennis Prager is ignorant, who appointed him gatekeeper of the Constitution and definitive arbiter of all things American and civilized?

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=141296

"Schultz sees parallels to John F. Kennedy's inauguration in 1961, when the first Catholic President became the first to take an oath on a Catholic Bible.

"And people thought oh my God he's going to take his oath, and he's going to take his bidding from the Vatican. Times have changed."

He notes fear of Catholics in 1961 has been replaced in 2006 by fear of Islam for some, especially in the wake of 9-11.

Ellison's defenders say it's the oath that matters most, and not the book involved in the ceremony.

"You're making a commitment to uphold the constitution and the laws of the United States. That's the important thing," said Latz.

"And I have no doubt about Keith's commitment to do that."

His relations with CAIR? I thought the controversy was over the Nation of Islam. He's said he thinks Louis Farrakan is a racist and a Jewish newspaper endorsed him.

Ha, what a stroke of genius :up:

Washington Post

But It's Thomas Jefferson's Koran!

By Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts
Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Rep.-elect Keith Ellison, the first Muslim elected to Congress, found himself under attack last month when he announced he'd take his oath of office on the Koran -- especially from Virginia Rep. Virgil Goode, who called it a threat to American values.

Yet the holy book at tomorrow's ceremony has an unassailably all-American provenance. We've learned that the new congressman -- in a savvy bit of political symbolism -- will hold the personal copy once owned by Thomas Jefferson.

"He wanted to use a Koran that was special," said Mark Dimunation, chief of the rare book and special collections division at the Library of Congress, who was contacted by the Minnesota Dem early in December. Dimunation, who grew up in Ellison's 5th District, was happy to help.

Jefferson's copy is an English translation by George Sale published in the 1750s; it survived the 1851 fire that destroyed most of Jefferson's collection and has his customary initialing on the pages. This isn't the first historic book used for swearing-in ceremonies -- the Library has allowed VIPs to use rare Bibles for inaugurations and other special occasions.

Ellison will take the official oath of office along with the other incoming members in the House chamber, then use the Koran in his individual, ceremonial oath with new Speaker Nancy Pelosi. "Keith is paying respect not only to the founding fathers' belief in religious freedom but the Constitution itself," said Ellison spokesman Rick Jauert.

One person unlikely to be swayed by the book's illustrious history is Goode, who released a letter two weeks ago objecting to Ellison's use of the Koran. "I believe that the overwhelming majority of voters in my district would prefer the use of the Bible," the Virginia Republican told Fox News, and then went on to warn about what he regards as the dangers of Muslims immigrating to the United States and Muslims gaining elective office.

Yeah, but what about a Koran that belonged to one of the greatest Virginians in history? Goode, who represents Jefferson's birthplace of Albemarle County, had no comment yesterday.

Good for him! That's a very smart move--connecting the Koran he's using to Thomas Jefferson. Jefferson was an Episcopalian but he was liberal enough to be a Unitarian Universalist.

Back
Top Bottom