Music cannot change the world, says Neil Young

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't. Bono is doing all sorts of great things. He inspired a bunch of us to start the African Well Fund. It was inspired by Bono's trip to Africa.

"I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me."

And if you can change the world in you, maybe you can change the world outside of you too?

"What is wrong with George Bush? That would take a really long time. Let's talk about what is right with him, it is a much shorter answer.

"He is a very good physical specimen.
He shows that a man his age can stay in physical condition," said Young, who is 62.

:up:

thumper's mother would be proud

Thumper: He doesn't walk very good, does he?
Mrs. Rabbit: Thumper!
Thumper: Yes, mama?
Mrs. Rabbit: What did your father tell you this morning?
Thumper: [clears throat] If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all.

verte76 said:
I don't. Bono is doing all sorts of great things. He inspired a bunch of us to start the African Well Fund. It was inspired by Bono's trip to Africa.

Not his music, though. Bono the person does a lot of things. The music itself did not.

He says the days are past in which music could change the world, but, did it ever happen that music, or a song, itself changed much? Wasn't it rather the presentation of the songs and how the musicians got people involved?
I don't think that any song from the Woodstock festival brought about much change, but rather the massive gathering and the huge outcry of both musicians and visitors.
Nevertheless, I think music still inspires many people to look closer at issues, and get more involved sometimes, and this brings about small steps that in the end might make a big change. So, in that instance you could argue that music might have changed at least certain issues, and still is, in a rather indrect way.

It's a long way to change the world, but at least: Keep trying. :)

A song cannot change a person. True relevant changes come from real life experiences. Music and art is a fantastic mirror to the world, but I think it's rarely a catalyst in its own being.

Back
Top Bottom